Non skid material

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non skid material

I am at the point where I need to apply/spray a non skid surface, which is common on these seafair seadan's, on the front deck..Now The folks at The Paint store sold me 2 containers one is a rubber compond and the other is a glass compound..Its recomended to add these 2 componates with my paint and reducer only, and shake with a couple added marbels in the pint/quart can for at least 45 mins...then take home add hardener and apply thru the biggest tip ya got.,..Then top coat as normal..I 'm sure some's already done this but I would like to hear/know what you learned...ya know? It sounds straight forward but...never is.....
    Thanks

Nonskid Paint

Tim -

I'm sure the paint store steered you right and it'll work out great...but I've never thought about spraying nonskid, just because it's easy to imagine clogging of the tip, etc.

We just mix Interlux nonskid compound--probably the same sort of crystals they gave you at the store--directly into one-part Brightside Polyurethane and brush it on. If you put just enough compound into the paint, you can add topcoats (without nonskid) and it'll still maintain the semi-rough surface.

Every time our late shop landlord, George Calkins, would see us using commercial nonskid compounds, he'd scoff at the money we were wasting on "all that fancy store-bought stuff." After all, George just walked down to the beach in front of his house, scooped up some sand, ran it through a screen to separate out the shells, small critters and other debris, and mixed it directly into enamel. George's decks always looked great, and frankly the sand seemed to produce a super-nonskid surface...but if using sand you've obviously got to stir frequently to avoid having all of your nonskid at the bottom of the paint pail.

Anyhow, your plan sounds great, Tim, but it's a good thing George isn't around to watch, or he'd give you hell.

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I'm interested in this same subject. There are many ways to do this, I'm sure.

I read Guzzwell's method (Modern Wooden Yacht Construction) which is to put down a heavy coat of epoxy and sprinkle sand into the epoxy. He recommends completely covering the epoxy with sand. When the epoxy kicks, you brush off the loose sand and put your finish paint over that.

Tim
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Or another option is to glue down a rubber non-skid matting. That's what my 59 Seafair Sedan has on it now. Of course it's peeling off and coming up in a lot of places. The guy I got the boat from gave me some non-skid matting to put down. Guess I could do a better job of gluing it down.

I seen what Marty and Joe did with Chuck's Dorsett. I may go that route instead of the matting. Look's good, and it won't peel off like the rubber non-skid matting. Decisions, Decisions.
        Steve Kiesel
        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Surprisingly went as planed

The 2 compounds shook up rather well with the paint and reducer. Had to work a few of the clumps of rubber material thru the strainer/screen with a stir stick..I used my primer pot gun with an 8 tip and it coated real nice. And I got a lil over spray to clean up.. Gave it the flat gripping surface, kinda like it came with. Shouldn't tear up the bottom of my feet in the spring..By summer it wouldn't matter.....Anyway great product, rather easy to use...I 've been dealing with the Napa paint store here in Spokane...Lots of 2 part paints for glass...and more colors than a box of crayons..I wont say any thing bad about West Marine, except their limitations of color and price...oh well..guess I did.....
          Attached Files

Comment

non skid

Geeze Tim, you scared me. I thought you were asking for recommendations for toilet paper. We Marines appreciate good nonskid. LOL. Semper Fi, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by tyeechaser, post: 241
              Geeze Tim, you scared me. I thought you were asking for recommendations for toilet paper. We Marines appreciate good nonskid. LOL. Semper Fi, Mike
              I don't what to say to that, other than I would hate to see skid marks on my new paint...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 172
                Or another option is to glue down a rubber non-skid matting. That's what my 59 Seafair Sedan has on it now. Of course it's peeling off and coming up in a lot of places. The guy I got the boat from gave me some non-skid matting to put down. Guess I could do a better job of gluing it down.

I seen what Marty and Joe did with Chuck's Dorsett. I may go that route instead of the matting. Look's good, and it won't peel off like the rubber non-skid matting. Decisions, Decisions.
                Hey Steve, I have a 59 also...same problem the white rubber piece peels and curls at the edges..If and when I get to that boat I will replace with the same system I applied to my 67...Its pretty cost effective...
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X