It should have been easy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It should have been easy!

I blame it all on my friend Tim Jones. I took notes at his class and saw the corroded bow eye and decided I should take a look at. Pulled the old one and it looked good. Maybe Chuck C. had replaced it. It didn't look 52 years old (but, then, neither does Becky) and I'm not replacing her!
    Anyway, since it was out, I thought it might not be a bad idea to replace it with one of those U-bolt eyes. After all, two bolts should be better than one. So, I bought stainless 1/2 inch. Now I had to drill out the hole the old bolt went through and carefully measure and drill another hole. Since my boat is temporarily on the lot that belongs to a guy in Dubia (hey, he's a friend and I know he would approve of it setting there while they dig up the road in front of my house), I didn't have access to electricity but I do have a cordless drill.
    Of course the battery went dead before I got the first hole drilled out. So, I put it on the charger and went to walk the dog.
    Got back and there was enough charge to drill both holes. Now, how do you push the U-bolt through the fiberglass and the wood backing plate which was loose. Figured out a way and eventually got it in place. Now Chuck had done a nice job of putting up a partition in the bow but left just enough room to get an arm and a flashlight in around it. Smeared some 3M 5200 on everything in sight (including my hands, my clothes and the rest of the boat). Tightened everything up and it was only five hours after I started the simple job.
    Then, I slipped and fell head first onto a stump as I was climbing out of the boat. Landed on head and shoulder and managed to tweak my back.
    Now Becky is filling the Jacuzzi tub for a comforting soak. Think I'll ever go to another training seminar? Oh, I have a short memory and am used to pain so I suppose I will.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Jerry, Hope you are feeling better ! You should have called me about the bow eye, as i replaced it back in 2003. And if i had known a guy by the name of Jerry in 2010 was going to be screwing around behind a partition in the bow , i would have left more room for you. lol ! Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

What a story !

What a story ! I'm not so sure about that partnership you offered me last week .
      Its nice to have somebody else around to do the ripping stuff apart but I've found out along time ago that things go back together alot better when I'm the one who tore it apart :confused

Hope we can get together this summer and pull some pots !!
      Attached Files
      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Right Chuck. I should have called. Or I could have asked you at the time of the class. Should have known you would have taken every precaution. Guess I never was the brightest bulb in the chandelier. Know what you mean Rick. What's the hope of getting things back together right if you didn't take it apart in the first place.

Comment

Hope you are mending well Jerry.

I know when I replaced the bow eye in the Chris Craft, after it ripped out droping the boat on the launch ramp, It turned into a much larger project than anticipated. Sounds like Chuck followed the Chris Craft bow construction method of putting a support right in the middle of the working zone for the bow. Next time you'll have to find a small flexible child to stuff in there, that's how I learned everything I know about boats, I grew up being the little kid getting stuffed into the bildges to fix stuff...
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

That's probably why my 6 year old grand daughter is forbidden to climb into my boats!

Comment

Working...
            X