Busy week, great day.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busy week, great day.

Pulled the Express 25 out of the water this week for bottom paint, new prop and new exhaust hose. As some of you know I don't trailer the 25, so I have to get as much work done as I can when she is out of the water.

The bottom paint went well, besides being dirty. Replaced 12 ft of wet exhaust hose at a cost of $120, ouch! And finally got rid of the trolling prop and put on a decent cruising prop.

Took "Arthur" out yesterday on a beautiful 70 degree day in Portland. With new prop reached a speed of 25 mph@ 4,000 RPM. With old prop the best speed was 19 mph@ 4500RPM, running hot. Gas mileage is so much better, did a 2 hr cruise burning 10 gal fuel (speed between 5-25 mph; avg 15 mph). Previously would have burned about 18 gal.

It's like a new boat, I am thrilled!
    Attached Files
    Robert Augur

Happy Days...

Awesome pit stop Robert, excellent use of a weekend-and a cruise to boot!

Comment

Very impressive. Never knew a different prop would make that kind of improved speed and fuel economy. Five gallons per hour seems very good for a 25 foot boat. What engine does it have?
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Never knew a different prop would make that kind of improved speed and fuel economy. Five gallons per hour seems very good for a 25 foot boat. What engine does it have?

Yes, I am very surprised in the difference the prop makes. The gas mileage is an estimate since I did not have a completely full tank and I don't have an electronic fuel monitor. The speed difference is accurate, I think that I may get 30 mph if I took it to 4500 RPM.

The motor is an Interceptor 312 Y Block 215 BHP, original to the boat.
        Robert Augur

Comment

Hi Robert, Looks like you are keeping "Arthur" in very fine shape. Maybe one of these days some of us can make another event down your way. Pictures from May 08. Best,Chuck
          Attached Files
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 9957
            Hi Robert, Looks like you are keeping "Arthur" in very fine shape. Maybe one of these days some of us can make another event down your way. Pictures from May 08. Best,Chuck
            Hi Chuck. Yes, I am doing my best to keep Arthur in fine shape. Heidi, not so much. You know, I was going to throw out an impromptu run that would coordinate with the Portland Pirate festival in Sept. The event takes place at Cathedral Park (where chuck's pictures in above post are from).

Maybe put in on the Columbia and run down to the Pirate Fest?
            Here is a link to the event if interested.
            http://www.portlandpiratefestival.com/
            Robert Augur

Comment

Robert, That's a week before Mason Lake on the 25th of September. But like the last time i think i remember we came down for just Saturday, so maybe we can do that again. Being i don't have the "Rosario" Skagit and the other one will not be ready till sometime next year , i would bring the G-3 instead. Lets keep in touch. Chuck
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Chuck, I believe that the Willamette Run was on Memorial Day 08'. We could do a similar run on Mem Day this year. That is the weekend that the Portland Rose Festival opens and there is always a waterfront festival happening.

We could put in on the Columbia and run down to Portland. Or we could avoid the city and do a run around Sauvie Island via the Multnomah Channel.

Any interest?
                Robert Augur

Comment

Working...
                X