Bell Boy 404 Sedan Convertible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell Boy 404 Sedan Convertible

A couple of people asked what my next project looks like, here's a couple of photos. All it need is TLC (Tender Loving Complete restoration), meaning the usual floor, interior, removal of whatever kind of awful paint was slopped on it, hardware replacement, steering installation, re-wiring, new side windows, etc. The good news is the transom seems pretty solid and the windshield and frame are in good shape.

Power will be twin 1960 700 Direct Reversing Mercs. The interior will be configured as a comfy ride for four people, think "early 60's Lincoln Continental". there won't be any sink, bunks, dining table, etc. A canvas convertible top and rear curtain will cozy things up when it's chilly out.

Here's a few photos of the boat and one of design inspiration. The bow rail is long gone, saved by a former owner for another project. (Hi Barry!)
    Attached Files

I like it! I like it! Just don't want to be following it down the freeway at 70 mph with no winch line to the bow eye.:Bigdriving1::Bigdriving1:
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

:nono1:

No worries Jerry, it ain't a going nowhere like that!

Comment

Haven't seen that one before Tim, no wonder you didn't want any other distractions...:cool1:. Looking forward to seeing more on this one.

Comment

Classy boat Tim! Good to see another BellBoy back on the water soon. Make sure you bring extra bumpers, those dock busters are going to make driving that thing fun! :Bigdriving1:
          Mark
          Silverdale, WA.
          1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Hey Tim, that will make a dandy! Is she 18feet? You should have room for a small dance floor! Seems like they all need every thing you mentioned but having good windshields is key. Anxious to see more. - Ross
            Ross Henson

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm anxious to get started. But, it'll be easier if I wait, 'cause the paints falling off on its own!

Ross, it's 19 feet but seems bigger when you're standing next to it. It's a deep thing.

And Mark, who said anything about soon? :Scared2: I have a kitchen to remodel before I'm gonna get away with finishing this thing. I will be getting some stuff done but it won't see the water for a while, maybe next year.

Tim

Comment

Hi Tim:

You 404 has great potential for a classic masterpiece on the water. I restored this version except that it was a sedan not a convertible. The cabin dimensions are the same. The roominess in there is amazing. Its a great over-nighter and cold weather cruiser. that said, with the front vent open at 45 deg. The ventilation on warm days is fantastic! Here is a shot of BellBoyJohn's 404 sedan cruising on Honeoye lake in the finger lakes of NY.

Good Luck!

Bob
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Bob, I think I've ferreted out all your posts and images on the Bell Boys you've done. Really gorgeous! Does John's boat have the side windows removed or are they just really clean? Do you know what year the brochure photo you posted is? I noticed the top in that image is quite a bit shorter than mine. My title says 1960, what year is Johns? His windshield isn't divided like mine.

These things really are cool, I love the look of the long top and the B pillars. I guess it may be heresy :shocked4: but I'm not going for the overnighting features, it's going to be more of a "Town Car for the water". (see the last pic in my first post for my interior styling inspiration) I've always been intrigued by the obvious automotive influences that these old boats have, and have always wanted to carry that influence over to an interior. The sedan boats with their interior helm are closer to the auto influence than anything else.

Tim

Comment

Tim yours is the hard top convertible I believe. The ad is from 1960 like your boat. John's side windows were not yet installed for these photos. I will see if I can find the exact ad for yours...
                    Bob

Comment

Hey Tim, what's the latest with your sedan project?

Comment

Funny you should ask ...

Hi Greg,

Well, for various reasons I decided to go with an I/O instead of the the twin dockbusters and was lucky enough to find a local Merc fanatic :BigWink1: who wanted three 70 hp dockbusters more than he wanted the complete 198hp Mercruiser setup he had. So we're both happy!

I figure that should push her along pretty well. Of course it means a lot of fabrication work converting her from an outboard to an I/O, but that's the fun part. It would be boring to just buy one and run it! At least for me ...

Tim

Comment

Working...
                        X