Transom Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transom Time

Time to get my "Slough Runner" ready to go......lol.
    All this talk of transoms has me ready to pour out some resin.Went to battle with my classic-in-waiting,the Teal 14` Trailorboat needing new transom and Floors.
    Let`s start with the transom.
    Day 1: Cut the splashwell for easy replacement and so I can address the very thin corners ,broken flanges and major crack on one side of the gunnel.
    The wood came out with a prybar and chisel and my Grinder chewed out the last 1/4`` layer.
    Now to dry it out and clean up the corners for good clean flanges and a true pattern.
    Spent 2 hours chipping,then 2 more a day later grinding and am ready for a pattern today.Smaller boats progress quicker,more switching of tools than actual work......guess I should do the Glasspar next to it.
    Hope these pics help.More in camera from yesterday,we`ll start with these.
    Tim M
    Attached Files
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Go Man Go

Hey Tim, will you be able to redo the floor without lifting the upper deck? You are going to have to fly to make the slew run with that! Is that the brand name? Trailer Boat? - Ross
    Ross Henson

Comment

Here are some links to the real Trailorboat's.

http://www.vintage-vee.com/1961_trai...t_restore.html

http://album.fiberglassrv.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1278
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Trailorboat fodder

Hey Ross and Steve,
        I`m trying to leave the upper in place as the rubrail and edges are pretty clean.The boat had a Balsa core floor,glued FLAT right to the outer hull so I`d need to find some wood I don`t believe I can afford.
        Thought about using Foam composite but won`t ever re-coup the investment so plain plywood in 1/2`` CDX with some resin top and bottom,then the foam pouring to create some strength.The bottom is really flimsey with no stringers.
        This make is mostly wanted in the Trailor with boat for a top version,mine was kinda not seen much.
        The perfect window and flaired bow got my attention while I was trying to walk away from this one 3 years ago.
        It also has working steering with the clip-on hook-up for smaller engines.
        Hopefully the smaller size will keep this project from taking too long,next Sat looks a little too close with the cold temps and wetness taking over my plans.
        At least I can work on the splashwell inside the garage and step out to attack some as weather allows.
        Next up,:Pattern for transom.
        Attached Files
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Transom Replacement

Hey Tim.
          Keep the steps and pictures coming and I will make a Sticky post of this as Transom Replacement.
          Work for you ??
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Ya Betcha

Hey Joe,
            Sure ,do whatever helps those with questions find what they need,or for those looking to watch someone throw some time and money at another "Free" hull,no wait ,I paid for this one,but not much.
            Did some glasswork on the splashwell cracks and flanges last night.One side down,now to flip it over and do the topside damage.If the snow let`s up ,I`ll do some patternwork so I`m ready to roll when the weather backs off.
            Always get one day in ,then watch it rain for a month on every big job I start.......Need a real garage or a "Chateaux Costco" ,A la Chuck Carey.
            Tim M
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim, I have the Farallon , Skagit and the Shell Boat in the shelter now. Took the Evinrude 50hp SS off of the Shell, but before i did, i started it up. Nice running motor. It should be a great runner on the G-3. Chuck
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
              X