Thinning out Epifanes Yacht Enamel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinning out Epifanes Yacht Enamel

I'm using some Epifanes Yach Enamel on my Shell Lake project. One of the colors needs just a touch of thinning, maybe a table spoon or two. West Marine insists that I stick with Epifanes thinner as, of course, does Epifanes.

I don't want to pay $15 for a half quart of thinner when I only need a few ounces. Can I just use some acetone or something for this polyurethane paint. Is it really some top secret formula that requires top secret thinner?

-Zachary

Zachary- I'm all for saving coin, this isn't a place to do it. There are many thinners that may mix into your paint but could affect film strength, cross-linking and longevity...:NoWay1:

After all of your work, using good finish materials will guarantee your weekends will be spent playing.

Looking forward to seeing your projects in 3D.

Comment

Thinners

Zachary -

There are some paints you can safely cross-pollinate thinners with, but I'd be reluctant to experiment with Epifanes paint. While I can't begin to explain what might substitute for the recommended Epifanes product, there's something different about their paints and their thinners--at least that's my impression from using them.

Better to surrender than mess up your paint job.

Another option, of course, is to try going without thinner. I've found that some of the Epifanes paints tend to be a bit too thin in terms of their ability to cover, when thinned according to the directions.

Good luck,

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
      X