Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of rubrail...Skagit rubrail that is...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of rubrail...Skagit rubrail that is...

Thinking ahead to the next project:shocked2:, would like to budget for some '57 Skagit 17 black rubrail from Wefco. Looking at the profiles in their on-line catalog, I am not certain which one-if any-is correct. I was sure that this question is in the archives but haven't been able to locate the correct part #. Since our project came naked I am not even sure how the original fasteners were placed.

Any advice would be awesome!:TwoCents1:

Greg, Here you go. The price might have gone up some and tell them you are a member of NWCBC . Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Greg ,
      I have a pc for profile checking leftover from Ken Cook`s Rubrail on Celeste.It was really stretched so I drilled a hole at each end and used a ratchet strap to pull from the tie-downs.It was only held on with the bedding though someone ran a few screws here and there to keep it from falling off,which just ripped free when docked hard.
      I ran one bead of Sikaflex on the top edge,then pumped it full on the lower edge ,which actually forced it on tighter and I had a 1`` ribbon of excess squeeze out the top seam as I went along.I left it alone and then dealt with it after it skinned over.
      I pulled and cut almost a foot from both sides.
      Still got the pc if you want to check fit ,a basic half round of 3`` tall with the channel to fit the hull seam.
      Tim M
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks for asking about this Greg . I need the same info for my 17 express.
        Also need the rubber for the cabin windows and for the bridge windshield.

I see Chuck has already posted the rubrail numbers (thanks for that!) Any chance you might have the info on these other pieces.? Thanks again.

Mark Nelson

Comment

Mark, I think the best place to get the cabin window rubber is from a Auto Glass Company. That's were mine came from. bridge windshield ? Same idea at the Auto Glass place. Take the boat with you. Chuck
          Attached Files
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks Chuck. Guess it is just a windshield ,huh. Not sure where i got the bridge part? Anyway will try an auto glass shop and thanks again for the much appreciated info. Mark

Comment

Rub Rail

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 10695
              Thinking ahead to the next project:shocked2:, would like to budget for some '57 Skagit 17 black rubrail from Wefco. Looking at the profiles in their on-line catalog, I am not certain which one-if any-is correct. I was sure that this question is in the archives but haven't been able to locate the correct part #. Since our project came naked I am not even sure how the original fasteners were placed.

Any advice would be awesome!:TwoCents1:
              My invoice from Wefco for my 57 Skagit 17 says # 16 1/2 G-3 White ? It had a channel in the center of the rail that slid between the Hull and the top side where they join together. It has a chrome piece in the stern that holds it in place. We got the rubber warm first and fastened in the stern piece and 2 of us pulled on the rubber while one person put some 3m 5200 adhesive in the channel and pulled as hard as we could . Where the cabin started we put a bar clamp on the rail to hold it while we stretched around the bow and did the same with the other side .Don't use too much adhesive that it squirts out . When you get to the end fasten the other chrome strip on and use bar clamps to hold where you can. Careful not to clamp too tight so as to leave an impression in the rubber. I bought 40 ' and my invoice is from 2/11/2009 and it was 5.50 Ft. $220.00 The black rubber I used for the front windshield was Wefco # 2299 but my windshield may be different than yours it was $3.00 a foot. Side windows I got from the Auto glass store . Hope this helps
              Attached Files
              Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Thanks Rick. Mine has the full windshield but that sample looks like the same profile as the old one. Seems like it should work. Still have to find either a replacement glass or someone in my area that can make a plexi one.

Thanks----Mark

Comment

recipe for success...

Thanks everybody for the great info., thats why I love you guys

After wrestling with old school hidden fastener aluminum rubrail the last few days, stretchin' and gluin' is sounding pretty good.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X