New Boat Owner(restoration project)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Boat Owner(restoration project)

Hello, My name is Andrew from Ithaca NY (Cayuga Lake) and I just purchased an old wooden boat for which I have little information on. I know its late 50's or early sixties, and has the line of Nautalloy's Aquabird hardware (steering wheel/horn) on it. I was told it was a knock off of a Penn Yan. Its 15 ft in length and its in relatively good condition for how old it is, and I believe the outbaord engine is the original. So this year i'm giving it a workman style paint job on the hull and then refinishing the wood in the boat. I'd like to get as much information on this boat as I can but Google apparently isn't sufficient enough for job. Also, I'm searching for info on the Nautalloy hardware. I've been told its pretty rare. Here are some pics. My hope is someone out there will recognize this style of boat and give me some info! Thanks in advance.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/andy.ocm...eat=directlink

Andrew

Welcome to the club Andrew. Looks like you are off to a great start on your project boat. Most of our club members are on the West Coast but some are so knowledgeable that perhaps they'll be able to help with the history of your boat. We sure have experts on both wood and fiberglass repair and painting.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Welcome Andrew. Check out this website. Go to the Galleries and look at the wood boats section. You might find one similar to yours there. Good luck with the search.

http://www.theclassicboathouse.com/
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Great looking project Andrew! It's nice to see more interest from our friends on the east coast. Welcome!
        Mark
        Silverdale, WA.
        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Thanks Folks

There is a ton of boats on the Classic Boats site. I found a few that came close but its hard to tell if they are the same company. I also found a website for antique boats of the finger lakes region and found one that comes pretty close. http://www.flbm.org/angler_runabout.htm. Should I move this topic to a different category to get more responses?

Thanks Again!

Just finished the second coat on the bright side yesterday. Almost ready to flip her back over and start sanding the topside.

Comment

Andrew,

Welcome to the club! Since you're working on the restoration of your boat, I'll move this thread to the Restoration forum, where it may get more exposure than in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. Be sure to post in-progress photos, everyone loves photos!

A lot of our members don't check in every day, so two days isn't very long to wait for a response to a question here. Also, a lot of folks will read but not reply if they don't have any information to share.

A couple of tips to increase your chances of gaining info on your boat ... I would recommend posting photos in your forum posts instead of including a link to an outside photo hosting site, lots of folks will skip those and not go look at the photos but will see them if you include them in your post. Also, feel free to create yourself a photo album here, we have lots of visitors who don't participate in the forums but come to browse the photo galleries and albums. If you have lots of photos of your boat and mention that you're in need of info you might get a response that way.

Thanks!

Tim

Comment

Andrew,
              I re-did a 1967 14` Glass Trailorboat that had the Nautalloy Wheel ,and the matching Zamak chrome trim......I found a missing Cleat for the middle bow that had the Nautalloy casting just by chance.
              The cleat had the Delta shape and appeared to be floating on air as it has feet that angled outward for mounting.
              May have to look wide and far to find what you need but realize glass and wood may have the same trincats adorning them.
              TimM
              Seattle
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Just finished the last coat of paint on the bright side and put the freshly cleaned keel guards back on. I didn't even know they were gold in color! Amazing what a little sanding can do.

Thanks for the info on the hardware. I have all the original but I thought if I could find the manufacturer of the original hardware I could buy bright shiny new ones. Well I found the original manufacturer. And it WAS only an hour from where Live. Unfortunatly they have been out of business since before I was born. So it looks like I'll be trying to shine up the original!

Comment

odds and ends hardware pieces

Post some pictures of the original hardware . We all have pieces of old hardware that has been picked up along the road. I have a bunch on E-bay right now. We may have some of what you need ??
                  Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

updates

Not sure why these pictures arn't showing up.

Comment

You can also view the progress here:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/andy.ocm...3-z4_jpIuQ6wE#

Comment

Nice Job !

Nice job on the boat, What pre stain did you use ? Benite ? Great job on the wood work !
                        Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Originally posted by bham-rick, post: 10918
                          Nice job on the boat, What pre stain did you use ? Benite ? Great job on the wood work !
                          I haven't used any pre stain yet, and that poses the question of should I or shouldn't I use one. And by pre stain do you mean wood brightener? I believe I used the term pre stain in my photo, and what I meant by that is the picture was taken before any stain has been applied.

The wood seems to be in good shape, there are a few places that have a black tint to it. but I think the mahogany stain will cover those up.

The other question I have is, I like the style of boat finish where the bow has a yellow color to it. Any tips on how to achieve that look. Is it paint or stain that is being used? this seem to obviously be paint. Below is more the look Im going for.

The more I look at some of these boats i'm realizing that it may be just bare wood that gives it a yellowish effect.

Any staining advice?

Comment

Updated Pictures

This is a 223 stamp located on the bottom edge of a removable seat back for the middle bench seat. I'm hopeing it can provide a clue to what kind of boat this is.

Even more Pictures Here

Comment

Nice Boat....

When you see the yellow king planks and covering boards on some 1950's Chris-Craft and Century inboard runabouts, it's not paint--the wood is bleached, then stained, then varnished to achieve the golden color.

We use a stain made by Daly's, a paint store in Seattle, to achieve the golden color...but mostly for headliners on the interiors of vintage cruisers. Daly's refers to it as Mustard #31.

The red/brown stains used on some of the same vintage inboard runabouts are many and varied. You can't go wrong with Interlux's Chris-Craft Red stain (or maybe they call it Chris-Craft Brown...I forget), since it approximates the color many folks are looking for when they varnish mahogany planks.

Covering boards and king planks are most often stained a darker color, sometimes an almost-blcak shade of dark brown, to contrast with the more reddish deck and topside planks. (King planks are the ones that go down the center of the deck; covering boards run along the edge of the gunwale, for those who might be confused by the terms.)

We use about a dozen different stains and dyes at the shop, depending on the shade someone wants....from extremely dark to honey-light.

- Marty
                              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X