San Juan Islands Adventure, June 5th and 6th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Juan Islands Adventure, June 5th and 6th

If you want some adventure and see some wonderful Islands this trip is for you, see the write up in the Events Calendar.

If the weather is iffy we will be going through the Islands instead of going to the outer exposed ones. The trip will have a lead boat and another boat to bring up the rear, we will always be in sight of each other for safety reasons. If for some reason there is a party seperation then there will be a VHF radio check in on top of the hour.

I would like to go out for 2 days and overnight in the Islands somewhere, but will do what the groups wants. If you want to go let me know-- overnight or just a day trip. Overnight would be nice, cooking over a fire and sleeping under the stars and waking to the sounding of splashing seals.

Would like to leave Anacortes, Cap Santa Marina between 10-1030am on Saturday. If you don't want to sling launch then you can use the ramp at Washington Park 4 miles away. Be in the water by 11am and ready to go and we will go there and pick you up before we head into the Islands.

Our internet is down at home but I will check in once in awhile. Lowell
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

If the tow vehicle fuel pump is installed, I'll be there.
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Hoping to meet up with you in the islands somewhere. Our plans are tentative due to a prior plan for a fishing trip to E. WA with my oldest son and his wife. Their plans are iffy due to a hoped for job offer in Alaska. They expect to know by the end of this month if he got the job or if they'll be coming up from Oregon to fish with us. Anyway, as the time nears, hopefully, you'll have some itinerary so we could find you Saturday or Sunday. We'd launch from Lummi Island.
      Jerry and Becky
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

San Juans

We are with you on the overnight, sounds like quite an adventure. Boat seems ok after being out Saturday. Jim and Elena, Elizabeth Ann

Comment

Staying overnight

If you want to stay overnight there are several options. Stay on board or sleeping ashore. Anchoring gear would be needed. It would be nice to be at the dock but sometimes they are full when you arrive so you can anchor or sometimes there is a Park bouy you can tie too. I have a small cabin boat so I will anchor or tie to a dock and sleep aboard. It would be fun to do a potluck meal and have a fire in the evening.

I've been going to the Islands for a number of years and have seen most of them several times, I'm open to going to the Islands that the group wants to see.

Does anyone have islands that interests them more then others or bodies of water that whould be fun to explore?

My favorite ones are Sucia, Clark and Jones Islands.
          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Sucia, especially fossil bay or Fox cove, or even Shallow Bay for an overnight, and an exploration of Patos and the Light House would be cool, but those are just my thoughts... as the Tow rig is now functioning again...
            "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Nice spots, good idea

There are several nice gravel beachs for pulling ashore on Patos. You picked some nice spots Chuck. I know of two anchorages too, but then you need to bring a dingy to get ashore. I have a cheap plastic 4 man raft that could work.
              1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
              1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Sorry we can't make this one. Were looking forward to it. My son has broken free from his job in Oregon to come fishing with us starting June 4. We are deliverying the 18 foot Larson Sea Lion to him at Rufus Wood reservoir and will camp and fish together for 10 days. That trumps a San Juan cruise. iIf this crummy weather should continue, E. WA with heat and sunshine sounds pretty good. Might get Rosario out yet if the weather ever improves. (Don't want to get her wet except below the waterline!)
                Jerry
                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 11265
                  Sorry we can't make this one. Were looking forward to it. My son has broken free from his job in Oregon to come fishing with us starting June 4. We are deliverying the 18 foot Larson Sea Lion to him at Rufus Wood reservoir and will camp and fish together for 10 days. That trumps a San Juan cruise. iIf this crummy weather should continue, E. WA with heat and sunshine sounds pretty good. Might get Rosario out yet if the weather ever improves. (Don't want to get her wet except below the waterline!)
                  Jerry
                  Jerry
                  Thank you for letting me know. I don't blame you, trying to escape the rain, good luck. If there is enough interest in this area I may lead it again next year. Lowell
                  1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                  1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

If the Chop Top Skagit-X or BB16 were done, we'd be there in a heartbeat. If anyone needs a deck hand you know where to call.

Comment

Two Possible Routes

Giving this trip some thought I've come up with some interesting places to see and visit. This route would be for good weather---leave Cap Santa Marina around 10am in Ancortes. Go North up Bellingham Cannel between Cypress and Guemes Islands then head out towards Clark Island Marine Park. There is a nice small pebble beach to pull up on to explore the Island. The Island has a fine sandy beach on one side and is long and narrow. Next stop would be Matia Island Marine Park which has a dock, there is enough room for 6 boats to tie up too, this Island is heavely wooded there is a trail that leads to small pocket beaches and coves also the shore line has some of the beautiful sandstone caves and pockets.

After Matia Island, Sucia Island is just 3 miles north and is the gem of the San Juans. It is really made up of a group of maybe 10 islands, 4 to 5 large coves or bays and a number of beaches to land on, there are 2 docks to tie up too, all sorts of trails to walk. The whole island is a Wa State Park so only the ranger has a home there. A lot of the shore line is lined with sandstone cliffs that have been worn away by water and waves until you have caves, pockets and weird wavy lines that are red to orange in color. To circumnavigate this island takes 1 hour if you don't stop at any of the beaches or docks. If we are going to spend the night this is the Island everyone will fall in love with.

The next Island to explore is Patos Island, it is located 2 miles northwest of Sucia and is one of the most remote of the Wa Parks. Here on this island is one of the most senic light houses of the San Juans. It sits on this grassy wind blown point all alone, the summer sun sets just behind it.

On the return trip we could cruise into Friday Harbor for lunch and head East back to our trailers. Route will be determined by all that attend.

Option two is reserved for foul weather and I will go into that route if it appears it is needed. Some of those highlights will be traveling along the south shore of Orcas Island out to Jones Island Marine Park and maybe going to Friday Harbor,

It will be important to carry enough fuel for 50 miles of travel or more, the average speed in calm conditions will be around 20 MPH, slower when we get to the Islands and enjoying sights, animals and birdlife. Lowell
                      1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                      1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Man, I wish I could go on this one.

Comment

Me too. Sounds like Lowell knows the islands pretty well. My grand daughters graduation is the 4th down in Oregon. Can't miss that. Take lots of pictures.
                          Steve Kiesel
                          1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Me too. Anniversary weekend. Heading for E. Wn. Have a great time. Wishing you fair winds and calm seas.
                            Kent & Diane
                            '58 Westerner

Comment

Problem....Sheila's birthday. There is no way i could leave town. It would have been fun to take the G-3 and zip among the islands. Maybe in July to Lopez Island to see Jim. Chuck
                              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
                              X