Flippin one over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flippin one over

I am thinking I would like to turn the Sportsman I have been working on over. It's 16 ft but heavier than I thought. I am not looking forward to working on a creeper under it. Any thoughts? I have an engine hoist and have built a gantry, I tried to flip it today, I was close but couldn't quite get it to go. I'll put the deck back on and try again... wondering how others have done it. Thanks -Ross
    Ross Henson

I used 2 come-alongs, that both had swivels at the hooks. Be attached at the center line fore and aft, and it should spin. Good luck..

Comment

Tim, I had a motor lift on the bow, that end seemed fine. On the stern end I was attached to a lifting eye toward the out side of the hull. I was able to lift her off the ground no problem. but it wouldn't roll lifting off center.
      I think I'll put the deck back on before I try again, I had some 2xs cross braced, also to rest on the cart when flipped. but it seems too flimsy that way. The deck will stiffen things up a lot. Also I'll have lots to work on while forming a new plan! Thanks for your idea. - Ross
      Attached Files
      Ross Henson

Comment

Yep, I see you'r hook off to thr s.b. side...I tried it that way also, but ended up popping a hole thru the center of my transom..and it spun very freely..Once upside down I rested the hull on saw horses..actually the saw horses rested on the new deck, which worked out well as it kept the edges of the hull off the concrete floor...and kept the hull at a good working height..
        Tim

Comment

Good one Tim! I'll hunt down an eye bolt to go through the transom, and try again. Nice shop by the way. Looks like lots of room. And toys to fill it up. - Ross
          Ross Henson

Comment

Got it turned over! Went to the hardware store and picked up 2 cheap 3/8ths eye bolts. Just to be safe I welded the eyes so they couldn't open up. With large washers and double nuts they acted like an axle. Still had to round up a couple of helpers.
            The hull doesn't look too bad. I was able to get about 3/4s of it sanded. Will finish today and start filling scratches and such. - Ross
            Attached Files
            Ross Henson

Comment

Working...
            X