Next: Up the Snohomish River...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next: Up the Snohomish River...

The next on-the-water gathering (see Events Calendar, Home Page) is our Spring Shakedown Run, Saturday, March 21, featuring a run up the Snohomish River from Everett to the town of Snohomish.

This is a great trip, and there's plenty of water depth in the river between Everett and Snohomish. (It's only just beyond Snohomish that you run into the first shallow water.) As we've done before, we can have a picnic lunch together on the sandy beach just beyond downtown Snohomish...on the left shore where the river bends to the right.

Who wants to organize this event...especially in terms of recommending different potential launch ramps to use, etc? Obviously, some of us can use the big Port of Everett saltwater ramp, but other members have experience with some of the ramps that are upriver a bit from there. Any ramp recommendations, or volunteers to spearhead this event?

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Cheryl and I volunteer

This is a great little cruize. We and Steve did it last fall. Cheryl and I will step up to "spearhead" things. It's about 2-3 hours up to the town of Snohomish. A little quicker coming back. There are also alot of sloughs to explore if anyone wants to. We plan on launching at the 13th street boatramp down on the Everett waterfront. This one can be somewhat salty depending on the tide. There is also a launch at Langus park a mile or 2 up the river (just beyond Dagmars). This one also I believe can be a little salty. Another one at Lowell even further up. I'm thinking this one is mainly, if not all, freshwater (for those that avoid the salty stuff).
    If everyone is in agreement, a box picnic lunch at the sandy beach just beyond Snohomish would be great. Good photo op too!
    I will have to confer with my better half tonight when I get home about a start time, but I'm thinking somewhere around 9:30.
    Gordon
    Attached Files
    Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Snohomish Spearheaders

That's great, Gordon and Cheryl...thanks for stepping up as organizers.

Should be a great event!

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Snohomish run

Yes, thanks Gordon and Cheryl. I can check out the Langus Park launch I think I might put in there. I'll try to swing by in the next day or two. - Ross
        Ross Henson

Comment

Langus is a nice launch, but I wasn't careful about the tide when I put in there, came back to the launch when the tide was out and almost didn't get the boat on the trailer. If it wasn't for the old tilting Holsclaw I would have been out of luck.

Comment

Everett area tides

Tide looks pretty good for Mar 21st with a 7.0 approx at launch (9:30) and a 6.0 approx. at 3.00 P.M for landing, so there should be enough water until 4:00 or so, even for bunk trailers at the lower boat launches. I wouldn't think wind would be much of a factor for this cruise. Should be fun.
            Kent & Diane
            '58 Westerner

Comment

Langus Park

I was in Marysville today and drove over to the boat launch at Langus Park. Many of you may have seen it already. Looks like a nice launch, lots of parking also. 5 dollar user fee. Man there is a bunch of boats in that area!! Not much happening at the park today with the snow and all. I think I'll put in there. Really looking forward to that. - Ross
              Attached Files
              Ross Henson

Comment

Langus Park user

I used this ramp a couple years ago when our slough run got canceled due to construction on the Sammamish river. It is a great ramp and the docks work great even with my little "low-rider" boat. The water there even during high tide has very low salinity, so its great for us "lake boaters". My trailer is also built to be a low-rider so it doesn't need much water to load and unload, therefore I have never had any problems with there being enough water.

Looking Foreward to this event.
                Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Thanks for checking on tides Kent, great inforrmation. The guys that want to put in upriver, at Langus or Lowell, we should meet up with you around 10 or 10:30, depending on how long it takes us to get underway. Looking forward to getting out on the water again.
                  Thanks Gordon and Cheryl
                  Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Man, I am so ready! The snow is almost gone around here. Till next winter I hope! This will be the first river trip for me, and Slomow the BellBoy. My wife is a bit spooked about the river so I'll be bringing a buddy with me. Hopfully I'll talk her into going next time. - Ross
                    Ross Henson

Comment

I plan on launching at the 10th street ramp for next weekend's river outing. Anyone else launching from there?
                      Steve Kiesel
                      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Hopefully I'll be able to make it this saturday. If so, I'll also launch at the Everett waterfront launch (!0th or 13th St?)
                        Kent & Diane
                        '58 Westerner

Comment

Saturday is a coming!

Morning all. Cheryl and I will be launching at the 10th street boat launch on the Everett waterfront. I think I mistakenly called it the 13th street launch in a previous post. To get there from the North, take the southbound hiway 99 exit south of Marysville. Cross the flats, go across the Snohomish river bridge and go right and loop down to Marine view drive. Take a left and go west down to the waterfront. The launch entrance is by Performance Marine. From the south, take the Marine View drive exit. Follow the truck route on Marine View drive around the north end of town down to the waterfront. If your not familiar with the area, and my instructions are confusing to you (imagine that!),pull it up on Mapquest or Google maps and take a look. It's a big launch with lots of room. To anyone worried about the river. It is a nice smooth ride up to Snohomish. You do need to be on the lookout for logs and sticks, but no rapids or whitwater or anything like that. Good and deep most the way, but a few shallower sections right before Snohomish (keep an eye on the depth sounders!) Regardless of the weather, we will be there. Hope to see a good turnout, it's always funner running with a bunch of Classics! See you all Saturday. 9:30 in Everett or a little later up the river at the other launches.
                          Gordon
                          Attached Files
                          Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Possible Sand Bar

Two years ago when I was on the River in my kayak a sand bar was forming at the begining of Eby Sough where it starts just upriver of the Lowell Rotary Park, there were a few logs stuck in the sand. Should be no problem entering the slough just slow down in that area. If you want to miss it just pass it on the far side of the Snohomish River. I would join you all but I have to work night shift that weekend. Have a good time. Lowell
                            1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

To venture out, or not to venture out???

So I was totally looking foreward to getting out on the water this weekend. But we unfortunately have not been able to find the time to get the top handle on the Merc 1000 fixed. I have been so busy the past 3 weeks I haven't even had time to clean the willow branches out from the slough run.

If I can get the motor back together friday (I am finally off work) I will be at Langus Park around 10 am Saturday morning. If not, then I will just have to wait till opening day for a cruise..

Goodluck!!!
                              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X