Yet another Bell Boy 404

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Bell Boy 404

Hi all, Kent WA Bell Boy owner here. Finally am getting off my duff and working on the old gal. Bought her out of Portland around a year or so ago, came with a pair of matching 1960 Evinrude 40 Lark II engines.

Thanks to this forum I've found that Middy Marine has the windshield molds and can supply me with a replacement, mine's not too bad but it is cracked and as typical stress lines throughout. The cabin windows have been painted (!) and rather than try to clean them I'll replace them instead. This will give me the opportunity to polish the aluminum trim around them...and the repaint will be that much nicer without having to mask around the edges.

Was wondering if anyone has photos of the interior and dash as built...even a sales brochure would be helpful. There are missing switches etc from the dash and additional holes...would like to know what to remove/replace and/or holes to fill to make it original (or nearly so). Especially would like to find an original steering wheel and hub...will adapt it to a modern system but once again, I want the original look.
    Attached Files

Wheel hub

I have the original helm from my 59 BB404 with i think the hub. I live in Puyallup and you are welcome to them.

John Kelly
    John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Thanks for the offer John. Does your helm have the same shape/bolt pattern as in the below photo? Sort of a sideways oval with a hole on the left and right sides with 3 more around the center.
      Attached Files

Comment

Question concerning rub rail....I realize that the rubber can be removed relatively easy, but I want to polish the aluminum extrusion that it goes in. Looking from inside the cabin I can see the bolts...if these are removed will the upper portion of the boat (deck?) become detached from the hull? Or might it at least weaken the factory bond?

I've seen online where some people have disassembled their Bell Boy in this manner, hence my question (just pointing out that it's not nearly as silly as it may seem at first blush!)

Comment

Helm

Go to Bellboy Bobs site as my old helm looks like his. Also i replaced my rubrail and all the screws you can go to the Marvelous site and see some pictures.

Isn't it fun fixing up the ole girl -
          John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions John, but where be these sites you mention? I looked at both BBB and your profiles and didn't see a link...maybe I overlooked it? Help me Mr. Wizard!

Comment

Twizzel twazzel twozzel...

I liked Mr Wizard. Anyway when you go to Marvelous or BB Bob go to album. If you click that you should see some pictures of what we have.

For mine you can also go to the Classic Skagit boat page and click on John Kellys BellBoy.

Also i can take a photo and send it to you. It will be 3 years this year restoring mine and come hell or high water it is going in the drink this year!

Look forward to meeting and seeing you and your BB.
              John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Bell Boy Rubrail Restoration

BB404 -

Yes, if you remove all of the bolts, you'd be able to separate the cabin mold from the hull mold.

You can restore the original rubrail and other aluminum trim (windows, side trim, etc), but it's a tedious process of hand-sanding with finer-then-finer wet-dry paper, followed by hours at the buffing wheel--but at the end of the process you'll have aluminum that looks like chrome. The trick is that when you remove the original anodizing layer, you need to replace it with something or the trim will soon discolor and start corroding...and look worse than ever. While the trim is chrome-like, you can spray it with one of the rattle-can clearcoats designed to protect aluminum automotive wheels. Make sure the surface is clean, free of any residue from your hands, etc., and give it 2-3 coats, making sure it dries hard before you handle or reinstall the trim.

I heard last week that there's a company in Portland that does anodizing of aluminum parts, but I haven't tried to find them yet. That might be another approach, since anodizing would offer the best possible protection.

Good luck...

- Marty
                http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thanks Marty. Actually I'm fairly familiar with polishing aluminum on a small scale (motorcycle parts) but have never attempted something this large. Your mention of corrosion was a concern of mine, great tip concerning the clear.

IF I separate the cabin and hull, will I need to support the hull from distorting? Will they go back together without alignment problems? Should a sealer of some sort be applied? Thanks again, Anthony

Comment

Polish rub rail

Originally posted by BB404, post: 1116
                    Question concerning rub rail....I realize that the rubber can be removed relatively easy, but I want to polish the aluminum extrusion that it goes in. Looking from inside the cabin I can see the bolts...if these are removed will the upper portion of the boat (deck?) become detached from the hull? Or might it at least weaken the factory bond?

I've seen online where some people have disassembled their Bell Boy in this manner, hence my question (just pointing out that it's not nearly as silly as it may seem at first blush!)
                    I am polishing the rub rail on my 404 Sedan without taking it off. Run some masking tape above and below the rail to protect the fiberglass finish and use some wet/dry sandpaper or possibly fine steel wool ( haven't tried the steel wool on this yet but it worked on motorcycle aluminum} to remove the original clear coat. Then use a two to three inch polishing wheel on a die grinder with polishing compound will bring it up like chrome. I am going to use a por-15 clear coat on mine. I'm out of town right now but will be back about next Wed. if you need more details. By the way, I'm not far from you either. Enumclaw. Barry

Comment

Hi Barry, didn't know that Por-15 made clear...if it's anything like their original formula it may outlast the boat!

Once (if ever) the weather clears I'm going to pressure wash the boat and begin stripping down some of the trim (and windows)

Comment

Working...
                      X