Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwi Grip

Hey guys ,
    This isn`t exactly a Classic Resto but it can be applied to your old classic to solve floor coating options.
    Been wrestling with a huge gig at Shilshole involving some deck coating.
    SailBoat had Teak Glued on and after the owners wife took an ill-placed sliver,it all had to go.
    With the prior prepping involving a hard grinder to the Gelcoat,the gouges and holes needed lots of fairing and filling.
    The Kiwi Grip was picked because it hides flaws well and is easily touched up /re-coated and is water based.
    Once dried it does not come off easily.......it does wash right off with a wet rag as it is applied ,but can be walked on within minutes.
    The coarse roller sold with it needs to be used AFTER one -2 light coats so you don`t go crazy with spin-outs and slip-ups.
    I put 2 more over the rough coat and it flattens out the over-agressive pattern.
    Fishboats also use a similar product called "Airball" that is rolled over Burlap that is stapled in place right onto decks of workboats and Trawlers.
    I think the Kiwi stuff is identical in all but price......
    We also had it Custom Tinted at a local Sherwin Williams Paint store to darken it up ,with the goal to hide dirt after rainwater dries.
    Tim M
    Attached Files
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Kiwi Grip ?

All things considered, would you recommend Kiwi Grip? Been thinking about using it on the Saratogan cockit deck...

Tim
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Paint and Coatings.....

Well it is water based but seemed to stick well and was easy to applu once a layer was on.Type of roller makes a huge difference in the amt applied.
      I also just used another product called TuffCoat that was custom color matched for an older Whaler in Blu.
      It needed a special 2 part,WATER-BASED epoxy primer that looked like not much until it had dried.....being tansparent,it seemed comical but the Top coat sure stuck well once applied.
      The Tuffcoat had chunks of rubber pellets in it and needed whipping with a drill thru-out the application.
      The Kiwi used the special roller like Bedliner in a can.....but came from Fisheries supply and was priced accordingly(better with the discount).
      I think it is exactly what is called "Airball" as I described before.Cheaper I`m sure when bought at the Parker Paint stores,and they`ll tint it (or even the Kiwi).I favor whiter greys to lighten up bilges,darker grey for decks and non-skid portions.Two -toned always looks classy.

Kiwi has a cooler name.......but is a Coating not a paint.
      I have one full Gallon of the Light Whaler Blu,un-opened even.....not sure what was paid for it.Again a Coating,"Coat" is in the name even.
      I`d think you would be happier with something you`d pressure wash without worries.....which means paint and your favorite Grip particles like Interdeck or Griptex.
      Can`t say I`d trust the edges on the Kiwi(To pressure washing....) unless the right scenario like a cockpit where viinyl would not last or be easy to get flat.
      I used it on the Sailboat since it was once sporting seriously wasted teak decks and the bedding removal revealed previous prep done wth a Hard grinder to rough it up.
      Also had several Bomar hatches moved a foot or so with some repairs showing up ugly.
      Go for paint not a coating...if you are to crab/Dive and/or know it will get mucky.
      Now if it will stay clean and dry,then the cockpit area could work but I`d want edges above waterline at washing.
      Guess I can`t decide......need a "Straddling the Gunnel" smiley.
      Tim M
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim ,
        Thanks for your input. I'll probably do two tone paint, urethane in medium grey with Griptex. White around the hatch edges. More work, but would look better and last longer...

Thanks again,
        Tim
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

So, Mr. Jones ...

When be we launchin' there Cap'n? irate:

Comment

Working...
          X