Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoring aluminum window frames

Hi all:

I hope everyone is doing well out there. I am re-doing my top deck on the BellBoy, this time using Interlux perfection. I am also removing the cabin front and side windows. They were removed fairly easily and I got the emblems off without damaging them. They were attached with pins held on the inside of the hull with little clasps. They are perfect and I will send one side to a forger in Maine to make a copy for BB John's 404 sedan. Once the forging is complete, he will be set up for more orders. I am not sure he can chrome them but we will see. These are the new style BB emblems.

A question: Which is the best way to clean and remove corrosion to aluminum? What kind of polish do you guys use? Should I begin by wet-sanding? I want to bring them back to full shine if I can.

Thanks, as always,

Bob
    Attached Files

Bob ,
    Assuming they are Alum ,or mostly alum,I`d dilute some Alum Etch (Dura Prep,AllBrite,etc...)with water ,~15 or 20:1, and work at it slow at first.
    It will go white if too strong or not rinsed quickly.....looks like Oven cleaner when it foams up and if a stronger batch.....Soaking and working with a toothbrush may be best.

I`m sure even Vinegar and water could cut thru the powdery pits.
    Any other ideas will be eagerly awaited.....I`m pulling some trim today by chance too.....I usually can`t afford the chromers so I Epoxy prime and paint with prop or engine paint.Then any leftovers of color can be used to give a custom touch without custom price.
    I`ve had good luck sanding solid Alum pcs with the 3M "Flapper " that has scotchbrite and sandpaper layered and set in a drill bit.
    Polishing with Mother`s or Flitz is good once smooth and after wetsanding of course,WHITE FLOUR in the polish rag at the very end to kill the black.....your wife`s hands will not go black that fist ride.
    Can`t wait to see some more Deep Red.......
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
    X