Mayfield Lake was awesome!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayfield Lake was awesome!

Thanks to Kent and Diane Hodges for all their work hosting this event, Cindy and I had a great time. Although getting there was a bit of a pain, due to a trailer tire disintegrating on I-5, it was worth it.

We really enjoyed the grotto cruise led by Greg and Susie James, it's a beautiful place that you can only experience from the water. Thanks to everyone for waiting for us while we dashed around after arriving late, trying to get the trailer parked and our stuff down to the boat! Sure glad we didn't miss it.

It was great to see new faces too, hopefully they'll become regulars!

Kinda bummed about Marty and Mo's new Skagit losing its water pump tho, I was really looking forward to a ride. Oh, I guess it was inconvenient for Marty and Mo, too ... :BigWink1:

For just a moment I thought we saw Joe and Amanda go by, but as soon as they were there they were gone, I could have sworn I heard someone say something about pants?

Although I can't believe I'm still awake, I posted some photos in the Mayfield Lake 2010 events gallery. Sorry I didn't get photos of everyone's boat who attended, I was too busy having fun!

Tim

Good time!

Cheryl and I would first like to thank Kent and Diane for setting up this great event.:cool1: Very cool lake. Just wish it were not so far from home! Lot's of neat old boats and good people. Pot luck hit the spot as well!:eating1: I had a great time on the water, but Cheryl was cold most of the day. When the sun came out, we got alot happier! I'll post some pics over in the album. Hope everyone has a great day!
    Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Mayfield 2010...

As others have said, Kent and Diane did a knock-out job organizing this event, which served as another reminder that it's great when we can incorporate real activities (whether it's fishing, treasure hunting, poker running, etc.) into our on-the-water events.

Mo had a few strikes when we were fishing for rainbows, but she didn't care that we came home without fish: The joy was in getting out there, drifting around with a wet line, and relaxing in the company of friends. (She loves fishing, whether it's lake trout or king salmon, and continues to care more about the experience than the actual catch...which works for me, since I rarely catch anything, no matter what we're supposedly trying to bring home.)

It was terrific to get out on the water with lots of other NWCBC members, and share another yummy potluck. We were among a few members who had engine problems, including Steve Kiesel and Mike and Judy Kronick...but at least we were able to go boating for most of the daya before our engine's water pump devoured itself, causing a quick shutdown of the inboard. Many thanks to Kent and Diane for coming to our rescue, towing us back to the resort dock just before the potluck.

Hopefully, Mayfield will continue to be on our calendar of events for years to come!

I just posted some photos of this weekend's event over in the Pictures & Albums section.

- Marty and Mo
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Sorry to have missed this one, guess there's always next time. Thanks for the pictures, almost like being there-but I get to make up the conversationjibberjabber

Comment

Mayfield Kudos

Thanks go out to Dianne and Kent for great organization of the Mayfield get-together. Midnight Sun ran great for a few minutes at the dock, then proceded to not run and had to be returned to the trailer. We did still have a boat at the event however, only parked by Kent and Dianne's cabin for all to admire. Thanks to Lowell for allowing Mike and I to ride with him to the Grotto and around the lake. New potential members Dave and Connie are a great couple and we hope to see them join us! Their Uniflight is beautiful and Dave brought to share some great historical photos and brochures of the Uniflight factory.
          1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Agreed a very big thanks to Kent and Dianne for all the thoughtful organization. Marvelous time! It was fun to see everybody yesterday and enjoy some fun in the sun (later in the day) and we're still having a great time seeing those staying tonight (yes, it is so awesome we're still here!)

Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon.

Chris, Lauryn and Dylan
            PS: Lowell, thanks for the moonlight (well maybe it wasn't quite moonlight) Grotto cruise at 30 mph. It was enchanting to go in the evening (loved the spooky fog, spanish moss, secret coves and "whitewater") and as for our speed, I agree, there just weren't any speed limit signs once we were IN the Grotto.....:boater1:

We're going back tonight to look for Chris's hat that flew off during our little run...HA!

Comment

Same here as far as thanking Kent and Dianne for a great meet ! It was nice to get " California Girl " out on the waters ( she ran like a top...knock,knock ) and open her up some. Sheila and i had a good time meeting the new members and the other members as well. Chuck
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Hey all,

We actually had a good time at Mayfield even though I had a major wardrobe malfunction minutes after arriving at the resort dock. I knew that none of you wanted to get to know me "that" well.lol So with a towel around my waist we made a few quick trips around the lake and discreetly slipped away.:Runaway1: We are quite bummed that we didn't get to see everybody as we were really looking forward to this event.:NoWay1: Thank you Kent and Diane for all of your hard work!! From what we can tell it was a hit. On a side note, the dish we brought for the potluck was delicious. We hope to see you all at the next event where I will be packing extra pants.

Comment

Joe and Amanda. We both had major malfunctions. Your pants and our boat. She ran great for about five minutes. We thought you found some new britches. You could have done the sarong thing with the towel. We've all been there. Next time we'll make sure we have some duct tape on hand. Hope to see you at the Tacoma thing.
                  1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Happy Times

Yes, it was a great time Sydney and I got there late but just in time to launch the boat and make the wonderful potlach there was so much good food everybody really out did themselves, thanks for the Alaskan Amber . Earlier we had locked the keys in the Pathfinder at the rest stop South of Olympia luckily there happened to be a locksmith right in the parking lot on another call, eighty dollars later we were back on the road. Thanks everyone for the memorable momements the smores and smiles into the evening. Kent and Diane special kuddos to you fun kids. Since there was a last minute cancellation Sydney and I could stay overnight which wasn't planned so the next day we went up the lake. Several member were out trying to catch some wiley trout, hope you guys and gals caught a few. We went up the Tiliton River as suggested. Wow need to go back there caught and released a nice 16" Rainbow in there we didn't have a cooler so back in the water you go. On the way back in the middle of the lake my rod went down again this time 3lb. Kokanee. Next year bring more gas so we can go up the lake to the special place grotto. The resort is very family oriented but also caters to young adults just out having fun on the water as long as the tv in the rooms are turned off at 10:00 P.M. and camp chatter around the campfires is held down to low chatter strictly enforced as our group was politely reminded. For the fishermen, I was using a gang troll with a 3" flame red flatfish with black dots 1/2 oz. of weight. I have only one regret I didn;t take any pictures of the cool boats.

Comment

We want to thank all of you who came the distance for our Lake Mayfield event. It was great to launch 14 of our "classics", even though some did not make it out on the lake due to motor difficulties. However, those who wanted to go through the "grotto" were guested on other boats. :catchfish1:Fishing was a lot of fun, and provided some of us with a great trout breakfast. Derby prizes were awarded to Lowell Lorenz for "First Fish of the Day" (and also his first fishing in 45 years! (fishing net). "The One That Got Away" Award went to Mo (tackle box), and we appropriately named this one the "Way To Go, Mo" Award! The "Good Sportsmanship Award" was awarded to Greg James , who took time to coach Lowell on his fishing skills (cedar fish smoking planks), and the "Adventuresome Spirit Award" presented to Lauryn Taylor, who camped with her family on Adventure Island, trekking in all of their gear from civilization to their island campsite. (book on fishing). We gathered together for a great potluck and lots of storytelling in the fishing pavilion.
                      We saw the debut of Whidbey Islander Lauryn Taylor's 15' Newman, that she secured from Norm Body. In near perfect condition with a sweet running vintage 40hp Evinrude. We also welcomed newest members, Dave and Connie Turner from Ferndale, who brought with them their beautifully restored 1963 Uniflite with a 65hp Johnson motor. At the campfire they shared a scrapbook and brochures that included history of the Uniflite boats and the men who made them, including Dave's father.:Skipper1:
                      We ended the evening with "smores and mores" around the campfire at our cabin campsite. Thanks again to Joe and Amanda, Chuck and Sheila, Greg and Susie, Marty & Mo, Mike and Judy, Cindy and Tim, Steve Kiesel, Gordon and Cheryl, Lowell Lorenz, Paul and Sydney Hoffman, Lauryn, Chris and Dylan Taylor, John Nelson and friends, and Dave and Connie Turner. Sorry if we missed anyone.

Due to requests from many of you, we will be putting in an advance reservation for another Lake Mayfield event next year. It will be a week-end in September, after the holiday, when we can get boat slips and parking without any hassels. Again, we apologize for any inconveniences that may have been caused in reservations this year. All in all, we had a wonderful week-end, thanks to all of you that made it such a successful event.
                      See you on the water!

FAIR WINDS AND CALM SEAS TO YOU.:boater1:

P.S. Apologies to you for the delayed posting. Several of us were having so much fun at Mayfield that we extended our stay by two additional days. We are posting some great pictures in the Photo Section (when we figure out how to do it!)
                      Kent & Diane
                      '58 Westerner

Comment

Another thanks to both of you and to Greg.

I wish to thank Kent and Dianne for a well planned event. There is not more I can say that other people have not already said. But I thought I would share a few photos of them.

[ATTACH]6604.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6605.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6606.vB[/ATTACH]

And thank you Greg for teaching me how to catch fish and win, you are a awsome coach.
                        Attached Files
                        1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                        1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                        1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Working...
                        X