Bow railing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow railing

I noticed that BellBoyBob's beautious boat has a railing on the bow (pardon me if I'm not using the correct terminology)....got to looking at my beastie and what should I spy with my bloodshot eye but numerous holes filled with some sort of sealer...these must've been where the railing mounts were! (see pix)

So now I'm on the prowl for an original rail. Anyone have a suggestion where to find one?
    Attached Files

404 Bow Rail

This one came to me on this boat as shown. I've tranferred it to the one I'm working on. Don't know if it was an original option or somebody added it but I like the look. I think it would be easy to copy. Barry
    Attached Files

Comment

That's slicker'n goose boogers. Looks like it might fit the plugged holes on my boat. You wanna sell maybe? My offer is a lint covered mint I found stuck in a pocket of some pants after I took them out of the dryer...so it's nice and clean and ready to go back into "service"

Comment

How would you copy the existing bow rail? That is a very nice touch and something for me to look for next.
        John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by Marvelous, post: 1393
          How would you copy the existing bow rail? That is a very nice touch and something for me to look for next.
          I'm no expert nor do I play one on TV but one way that I can finger out is to remove it from the boat and disassemble it so a jig could be fabricated. Make measurements including details regarding any angles, cuts, etc.

Replicating the old hardware is the tricky part, and short of making molds from the originals and recasting them, you'd probably be best off trying to match the nearest commonly available modern replacement.

Comment

rail

I was planning to find new fittings/connectors. I'm sure the angles are probably standard and still available and the fittings on mine are not fancy so finding something close should be easy. Having the rail tubing bent just means taking it to someone with a roller and I think I have a contact for that. B

Comment

Hi Barry, please let me know some measurements when you get a chance, perhaps my boat is a match....or at least close enough that when bending the tubing another slightly longer set could be made. Of course I'll pay my fair share, which at last count would come to roughly .00000004 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by BB404, post: 1398
                Hi Barry, please let me know some measurements when you get a chance, perhaps my boat is a match....or at least close enough that when bending the tubing another slightly longer set could be made. Of course I'll pay my fair share, which at last count would come to roughly .00000004 percent.
                I think you have the decimal in the wrong place? The rail is not attached to my boat yet. I will be away for a couple days (assuming I get this stupid transmission in my truck in the morning) but when I get back you are welcome to set it up on your boat and see how it fits. Barry

Comment

Eh, whats a couple of zeros among a couple of zeros? PM sent.

Comment

Hi Guys:

The bow rail, I am quite certain, was an original option installed by BellBoy. There are many sedan 404's that had them - I don't know about the Express models. I imagine it was on the sedan because when you come out of the hatch from the bow, you need something to hold on to out there. We removed it from John's 404 Sedan because he wanted an unobstructed view from the helm and because his long cabin gave the boat a boxy look to it. With the rail removed, it draws your attention to the boat lines better. Just for fun, I placed it on my 404 Express and loved the look right away. So, he gave it to me. From the cabin windshield forward, the top decks are virtually identical for both the 404 Express and Sedan, meaning the original bow rail will mount easily on either version. The pictures show the rail first as an original option on John's unrestored 404 and then that same rail on my boat

I also have a practical reason for using one on mine. Since I cruise one of the Great Lakes (Ontario), the chop is quite punishing on a windy day. When my son is sitting up there on the bow, his weight really helps the boat cut through the waves, making for a smoother, more pleasant ride. I need security for him up there while we are barreling through 5' waves, so along with his life vest, he has the rail to hang on to!! He loves the view from up there even though we are going 10 knots or so and he is getting soaked.

I would first see if there are any "blackberry" 404's languishing outside somewhere and see if you can pull the rail off?

Good luck...

Bob
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X