Puget Sound, End to End

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puget Sound, End to End

It's time to start planning your participation in this year's Puget Sound, End to End run, scheduled for the weekend of August 28-29.

While some of us will make the run from the north end of Puget Sound (Port Townsend area) to Olympia and back, others are warmly invited to join the fleet along the way--or just for sections of the 200-mile round trip, as members have done in past years.

The basic idea is to convoy down the Sound on Saturday, making it to Olympia by that afternoon. During the previous End to End runs, we've overnighted one of the Marine State Parks in South Sound--either Jarrell's Cove, on Hartstene Island, or Penrose Point, near McNeil Island--after making Olympia in the late afternoon.

A likely participant in this year's Puget Sound, End to End run will be Tim Jones...making his on-the-water debut with the remarkable 31-foot Skagit Saratogan--which he's been restoring over the past 20 years. (More updates on Tim's schedule as we get closer to August 28-29.) Needless to say, if the Saratogan makes the trip, you won't want to miss an opportunity to photograph the biggest Skagit underway, get the grand tour and maybe even go for an evening cruise aboard the Saratogan on Saturday.

In past years, the general schedule has gone like this: Some boats leave the Port Townsend area by about 9 a.m. Saturday, rendezvousing with others who join in the Edmonds-to-Seattle area by 11 a.m. We then cruise past Blake Island, south through Colvos Passage, meeting members who might join the fleet in the Tacoma-Gig Harbor area, and then proceed south through the Tacoma Narrows. A standard pit stop is Day Island Marina, just south of the Narrows on the Tacoma side, where some of us refuel at about 1 p.m. before heading into South Puget Sound. The cruise through South Sound goes alongside scenic Eagle Island and meanders to Olympia, where we gather at the city's public docks--either for the night, or to decide where we want to overnight in South Sound. (The overnighting destination usually depends on when we reach Olympia: If we get there late in the day, we might overnight in Olympia, but if we hit the State Capitol by mid-afternoon, members usually want to press on to one of the Marine State Parks...since they're quieter and more scenic when it comes to overnighting.)

Weather and water conditions are usually ideal at this time of the year, of course, and the August 28-29 date was picked because we'll experience moderate tides and currents. If you've ever wanted to have a scenic mini-adventure, this is a great opportunity...and it's always nice to make longer runs like this using the buddy system. (We'll share cell numbers before leaving, try to provide more details, and everyone with a VHF will monitor Channel 69 so that we can stay in touch as we head south and make the return run northbound.)

Finally, for now, and speaking of the buddy system, we'll cruise at the comfort level of the slowest boat in our fleet, sticking together. If we know in advance that our average cruising speed is going to be slower, some of us who are starting farther north may leave earlier, so that we can make Olympia as a fleet before Saturday night. And some of us may choose to extend the cruise into Monday, but as always, it'll depend on who participates and what members want to do...or where they want to cruise.

If you think you might want to participate, please respond here. Or if you have questions, fire away!

Below are some random shots from past Puget Sound, End to End runs.

Hope to see a record number of members during this year's big Puget Sound adventure!

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Should be another magical day,last year was truly amazing even with only the 4 boats.
    The water and views are burned onto my mental hardrive forever.....
    Tim M
    ps as usual,hope to join up at Blake Island ,maybe before you guys get there this time!
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Still don't have a boat for the salt chuck, Maybe next year. :Underconstruction1:
      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

We're In

Hello,

We would like to join you for Saturday, although I'm not sure how far south we'll go and if we will do the overnight. Since we live right across from PT, we'll cross over from Lagoon Point and meet you probably right in front of Fort Flager, if that works, as you head south. As we get closer to the date we can update you on the overnight possibility.

As far as speed goes, our 40 hp on that 15' boat maxes out at about 28 (no gear), with gear, at about 24/25. So, happy to cruise anywhere in between.

Lauryn, Chris and Dylan

Comment

Last time for me it was really calm and we mostly did around 23-28 most of the mid-sound leg.We were able to drive hands free and simply lean or move left/Right to steer as we all took pics of each other.I did some speed runs on occasion doing loops and weaving to shore to get some adrenaline flowing again.The 40 hp will do just fine.
          The sweeping views we saw as we rounded each Pt outdid the previous one each time ,with the new span across Tacoma Narrows making a perfect picture frame for the classics.
          Whether doing a partial leg,overnite or the whole enchilada ,it will be accessable from almost any launch on Puget sound.
          TimM
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

feelin' lucky, crazy or both...

I have been scheming to hitch a ride for this one, but I can't let Lauryn and Chris show me up in their really cool 15' Newman. Our virginal 15' 1961 Glastron will have undergone much testing by the end of this month and should be ready for a major adventure. Holly and I would probably sling launch at Edmonds or further North?? if we can find a buddy w/ similar plans.

Comment

I am going to try to have this one ready....Been spending too much time playing catch up around here.
              I have to have time to get it wet and do some testing.
              Attached Files
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Boat Speeds, Puget Sound End to End

For those of you thinking of participating, we never average more than about 20 mph on these runs (and slower, of course, if we encounter stretches of rough water), since we're cruising at the comfort level of the slowest boat in the armada.

Almost always, there are at least one or two boats with a "sweet spot" in the high teens or low 20's, in terms of hull speed, so don't worry about having to keep up with 35mph boats.

To Greg Lamb, I suspect that Chuck Carey and/or Greg James will launch in Everett, if they decide to participate. (Hey, Chuck, your G-3 can take the Sound if Lauryn and Chris can make it with their 14-footer, and Greg L. can take his runabout on the trip. If you don't want to do the entire route in your G-3, perhaps you could at least cruise the central Sound with us...?)

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

low 20's....in a G-3 ? Hummmm
                  Attached Files
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I'm seriously considering the end to end outing. This will probably be my last summer in the Puget Sound area. Need one last salt fix.

Just ordered a new starter for the Johnson that failed me on the Mayfield outing. That will be here in plenty of time. Does anyone else plan on launching at Everett? I'm a little concerned about leaving my rig overnight there. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on that?

Chuck, what are your plans? Looking forward to seeing your new ride.

Marty, where is a good place to meet up from Everett? West side around Point No Point, or the East side around Edmonds. Approx. what time?
                    Steve Kiesel
                    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Puget Sound Run....

Steve -

Glad you might be able to make it...

Coming across from Everett, you should angle across from the south end of Whidbey and meet us offshore from the Kingston ferry dock.

We'll know more about timing as we get closer to the event and know more precisely who's coming, where they're launching, what their approximate boat speeds might be, etc., but for rough-draft planning purposes, we'll probably reach Kingston southbound at about 9:30-10 a.m.

Last time Chuck and Greg launched at Edmonds and met us off of Kingston; you might ask if they remember what time it was when the rendezvous took place.

- Marty

Comment

Steve, Last year Chuck and I slung in at Edmonds at about 8:30 a.m.. That left plenty of time to get over to Kingston. Our main concern was if there would be decent boat trailer parking because if the salmon are running that can be an issue. At 8:30 a.m. most of the fisherman are already out so there probably won't be a line for the sling and by the time of the event the fishing may wain like it did last year. I would call the Edmonds sling at 425-775-4588 just before the launch and see what the situation is with sling lines and parking. The good thing about slinging in at Edmonds is that it's nice to be able sling out there rather than having to go all the way up Everett on returning. Chuck and I really appreciated that last year because by that time both of us were a little boated out after two days and 200+ miles of being on the water. Susie and I launched at Everett yesterday and because the fishing is so hot right now the parking lot was nearly fulll. We went up too Snohomish and back. It was a good cruz. We probably won't make this event but a lot of the time I make a last minute decission and end up going. I had such a good time last year that I hate to miss it.
                        Greg James

Comment

That was 2 years ago i took the Rosario and last year Jerry & Becky own it. Chuck
                          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks for the info Marty and Greg.
                            Steve Kiesel
                            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

daily driver

McCrain and I purchased a wood hulled '59 Bryant 20' Express with the sole purpose of getting on the Sound---this Summer (or more immediately, to run Puget Sound End to End event).

Since we would likely murder each other after four hours togetherCutUp1, we will be trading off use of this unrestored beauty. Holly and I are planning to launch at Everett, hopefully with Steve Kiesel and others??? If parking is an issue, possibly Edmonds?

FYI: Tim McCrain will be out of town that weekend, so all of you holdouts can participate in peace and quiet:cool1:. Looking forward to cruising the sound, classic style.

P.S. We are fitting the Homelite I bought from Steve last year, so our top speed should be 25mph or so...with great mileage of course!

Comment

Working...
                              X