Stehekin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stehekin

On Sat. Sept. 11th the Stehekin adventure will start at Twenty Five Mile Creek State Park at 10 a.m.. The park is about 30 mi. down the lake from Stehekin. It has been decided to launch at 25 mi. instead of someplace in Chelan because Chuck B.,who used to work on Lake Chelan recommended it. According to Chuck there isn't a whole lot to see south of twenty five mile creek. I think the shorter distance to Stehekin will give us more time to explore on the way up and give us more time in Stehekin. Lake Chelan is known for it's occassional high wiinds and consequent rough water, so from a safety point of view a 60 mi. round trip instead of a 110 mi. round trip might be appreciated.
    Twenty Five Mile Creek State Park has a good launch, dock and boat slips at it's marina plus camping. Please see their web page for more information and directions.
    http://www.stateparks.com/twentyfive_mile_creek.html

Stehekin has multiple accommodations, dining and activities plus there is a store at the marina and a gas dock. I recommend that you see their web site also. http://www.stehekinlanding.com. It's not clear whether or not we will be able to sleep in our boats at the dock sat. night or not. There are a few other places nearby like Weaver Point, just across the bay from Stehekin with a $5 dock fee. Susie and I will not make reservations at Stehekin because if we don't make it up there because of the weather we would still have to pay for the days reserved. If there is something available when we arrive we will take it, if not, we will overnight in the boat. I have been told that Stehekin is still busy in the middle of Sept.
    I hope to see you at launch time.
    Greg James

Looks like a pretty interesting event....
    Still broke down with my stuff.....Makes me angry:computers1:
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Helmar, Sorry you can't make it. If I had more room I'd say to come anyway but a Skag. 17 with a 50 Rude is pretty much a two person boat especially if you got to sleep on it. You got to get Purple Haze goin. I love that boat.

Mad Dog
      Greg James

Comment

Greg,

Looks like my son Brendan and I will make this one. We're planning on coming over Friday afternoon and staying the night at my sister's place in Chelan, then launching with you Sat morning. We'll spend Sat night there too, so we'll cruise up with you guys and then back down to 25 mile later in the day.

Looking forward to it,

Tim

Comment

Chelan

Greg -

We'll be there, also arriving Friday and staying overnight Saturday at Stehekin.

Can't wait...

- Marty and Mo
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Tim and Marty, That is great. I am pretty sure that Lowell will be there also. Susie and I will be there on Fri. also. We haven't decided were we will be staying on Fri. night but we might camp at 25 mi.. This should be a really good event. I am really looking forward to it.
            Greg James

Comment

the place to be...

Holly and I are looking forward to making some waves, vintage style!

Thanks for taking this one on Greg.

Comment

Greg, Looking forward to seeing you there and meeting your wife. This one may be the mother of events. Glad to see your making it out on the water.
                Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by GregJ, post: 12806
                  (edit) Glad to see your making it out on the water.
                  Don't get excited yet Greg J, I'll believe it when I see it ... :Underconstruction1: CutUp1

Edit - Re-reading my message above, it would be easy to misunderstand it. Just to be clear, my above remark doesn't have anything to do with the event, I was teasing Greg Lamb about how many times we've expected to see the Glastron at an event, only to be horribly dissapointed when it didn't show up. I've wanted for a long time to explore Chelan, and am happy to have the chance to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 12808
                    Don't get excited yet Greg J, I'll believe it when I see it ... :Underconstruction1: CutUp1
                    Fair enough!...we'll be there

Comment

Mo and I were talking about it today, and I think we're going to stay at Stehekin Saturday and Sunday nights, just to have more of a mini-vacation (as opposed to just blasting over there and racing back). If anybody else wants to extend their stay, we could run back down the lake together on Monday....or, jeez, maybe even Tuesday!

- Marty
                      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, Susie and I are also thinking about staying in Stehekin until Mon. also,but we will make that decision when we get there.
                        Greg James

Comment

Everyone, Something that Tim McCrain suggested that I didn't mention about the Stehekin event that I think is importent is that if you do participate you are by know means obligated to go the full distance to Stehekin. On the way up I plan on taking my time and seeing the sights and exploring. If you are not comfortable with the full trip you can join us on part of it and return to the launch or what ever else you might want to do. Tim mentioned that he will probably go back down to 25mi. creek sometime after Stehekin. I'm just going to play it by ear. I might go back to the launch with Tim or I might stay in Stehekin until Mon.. I'm leaving it opened. The main thing is to be safe and have fun.
                          Greg James

Comment

I'll be there too.

Greg,
                            You can count on me, I did this trip last year and it was wonderful. But when that wind blows watch out, it's worse then a rough day in the San Juans. I would recommend that If you go, best to plan an extra day in case the wind blows you just wait it out in style tied to a dock.
                            There are two places you can stay on your boat in Stehekin, one is the marina in Town or half mile up is another dock that holds 10+ boats, with a campground next to it for about 5 tents. This place is called Purple Point, it is an easy 15 min. walk into Stehekin.

I will drive part of the way on Friday night and would also like to pull out on Monday afternoon. I plan on sleeping on board at Purple Point and eating some meals at the nice cafe. There are docks about every 5 miles along the lake but they only hold 2 to 4 boats and some of them are not protected from the winds. The launch ramp at 25 mile creek is at a campground and there is a Marina there also but I'm not sure if you need reservations to stay there.

How about an easy simple style potluck on Saturday night at Purple Point? I can supply the hot dogs, buns and some fixings.
                            1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell, I am happy you can make it. Thank you for the suggestions and advise. Everybody should also have one coast gaurd approved personal floatation device (pfd) for everyone on board, a thro floation device (foam cushion), up to date flares, a coast guard approved horn, boat registation, fire exstinguisher and I'd highly recommend a VHF radio since there is no cell phone service in Stehekin. I have been told that dock and camping permits can be bought at 25 mi. creek. We will have a meeting before leaving 25 mi. creek. Somebody will be asked to lead and follow depending on who shows up and with what kind of equipment and expierience on Lake Chelan. We might even want to pick cruz buddies in case people get seperated. I have seen the seemingly most dependable boats ending up needing to be towed. It is importent that we stick together as much as possible.
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X