Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puget Sound End to End --Day 1

Hey all,
    Just in from very long day on the water.....
    Only did a small portion of what will be a condensed version of the yearly trek.
    The weather this aM started as a Jekyl + Hyde sorta way.Nasty North winds actually gave Lone Wolf Marty a tailwind from the Kingston launch point,
    I got it from behind as I left downtown Seattle.
    Marty Hovered near Blake Island while I scurried across from my fishing hole.
    Marty brought Blu skies as always and it even stopped blowing once we got partway down the Colvos Passage where Marty and I met Ken Cook and his Skagit Tyee.
    We enjoyed photo ops and only a few debris patches along the backside of Vashon Island.
    I saw many patches of fish activity and after seeing the live Herring at Day Island , I was ready to double back and go gather some King Salmon to feed my family.
    The trip back brought some nasty winds from the North again and I found a few boats to duck behind and try to let take some of the punishment.....weekend boaters tend to make for some choppy seas at times.
    Got back to North Vahon and dug in for some Trolling.Some fresh herring to tip my Squids seemed to get some action.
    Got myself a nice King and lost yet another that smoked my reel and almost jammed my No-stretch line.
    I`ll be back there in the AM......I know where they are now!
    Tried to snap some pictures ,let`see if they came out.
    Hope to have fuel to join Marty for a portion going North Sunday but we`ll see if we cross paths or not.I might be done early if the fish bite like they did today.
    Tim M
    Attached Files
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Puget Sound, End to End Photos

Although several members were unable to make the Puget Sound, End to End run for various reasons, those who did had a terrific time--especially in South Sound, where we overnighted at Jarrell Cove Marine State Park on Hartstine Island.

As Tim mentioned, Saturday brought northerly winds so we were able to run with the wind and waves almost all the way to South Sound. Amazingly, today the wind reversed direction so we were able to 'surf' home with the wind at our backs.

I launched the '58 Skagit 17' inboard at Kingston Marina and headed south at 8:30 a.m. yesterday, meeting with Tim off of Blake Island. We then zipped south through Colvos Passage, rendezvousing with Ken Cook and his longtime buddies, Jay and Paul, near the south end of Vashon Island. After a brief lunch stop at Day Island, south of the Narrows Bridge, Tim headed back to Seattle as I joined Ken and his '56 Skagit 20' Tyee for the run into South Sound.

Waiting for us at Jarrell Cove was Lauryn and Chris Taylor and their son, Dylan, who'd arrived Friday evening and were having a great time circling Hartstine Island, crabbing and simply relaxing at our favorite marine state park.

By last evening, Chris and Lauryn had caught eight nice Dungeness crab, which they generously shared with the rest of us. (Nothing like fresh crab, cooked over a campfire!)

We left about 8:30 this morning, returning by a different route--running down Pickering Passage on the west side of Hartstine Island, then alongside Squaxin Island before turning east and meandering between islands back to the Tacoma Narrows. Ken, Paul and Jay waved goodbye near their launching ramp at Point Defiance and I ran solo back up Colvos Passage, alongside Bainbridge Island and back to the ramp at Kingston. The water was pretty calm in South Sound, but became rougher in the larger waters of Puget Sound north of Blake Island....so I was mighty glad the wind was at my back as I surfed toward the final destination.

Here are random photos, more or less in the order taken. The still-water evening shots were taken at Jarrell Cove, an amazingly beautiful spot.

Just a thought for next year's calendar of events: Rather than running the length of Puget Sound, perhaps we should convert the event into a more thorough exploration of South Sound, launching in Tacoma or other points to the south and giving ourselves more time for quiet backwater cruising. (All three times we've done Puget Sound, End to End, we've encountered fairly rough water on the return leg in the northern Sound...which is why I decided to launch in Kingston this year, rather than starting the adventure at Marrowstone Island.)

Sorry some of you were unable to make the event--you missed a great time!

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, Glad you guys had a great time. Yes your plan sounds like a good idea for next year and i will be there with " Bainbridge " Got a lot of work done on her this weekend. Best, Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Marty, Glad you had a good time, weather looked good for you Sat. and the camping looked fun. Yes, I'd be interested in a south sound exploration/campout next year also. Almost got blown off the water in the northsound this weekend! And that was just at Penn Cove crabbing! Thanks to you and Tim M. for the great photos. (Tim, the Silvers are coming through, caught two this morning, largest one 10 lbs.)
        Kent & Diane
        '58 Westerner

Comment

Sorry I missed this one

Looks like everyone had a great time, wish I could have attended. Next year ...

Thanks for the great photos Marty. There is a new empty event gallery waiting for everyone's photos!

Tim

Comment

Marty and Tim, Thank you very much for the pictures. It looks like you had a great time. Hope to make it next year. I think a shorter run with a little more exploring is a great idea.
            Greg James

Comment

I have found this event to be a great excuse to burn some gas......and get some fresh Herring I haven`t touched in years.
              The South Sound definatley has more boaters and less Big Boats waves that make rough water even more challenging as they amplify themselves when stacked with another.
              The southern water does have serious current.
              The half dozen herring made for 2 days of good fishing action,even landed another one pushing 18 lbs.yesterday.
              2 days left in the King fishing,bring on the Silvers!
              Love the Bridge shot that Marty has mastered.
              Hope to see more boats next year but as said ,those that came had a great time.
              I know I did.
              Tim M
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Teach a man (er, person) to fish...

Very sorry to be on the trailer for this event. I'd hate to see the adventure cut short next year, but look forward to participating in any tour of the Sound. Though fresh crab isn't my thing, anything else cooked over a fire is the absolute best. Bravo, to all of you. :catchfish1:

Pssssssst: Is it me or does Mattson need a haircut??:nono1:

Comment

Boating Adventures, 2011

Slo-Mo -

It's always tough to figure out how much adventure to build into our on-the-water events. We've offered Puget Sound, End to End three times now and each year we thought--right up until the final hours before the event--that we'd have more participants. But each year we've ended up with four boats (more or less), and we've had a blast despite the seemingly small turnout.

Although we live in northern Puget Sound and love everything about our location, I recognize that water conditions in North Sound are a lot more problematic than South Sound when it comes to event planning. That is, you're far more likely to be blown off the water in our neck of the woods than you are anywhere in nicely-protected South Sound. With that in mind, I thought that more members might enjoy a two-, three- or even four-day "complete" exploration of South Sound next year, since the lower Sound offers an endless variety of back bays, islands, marine state parks and other attractions....with the bonus of pretty calm water. If anyone wants to do the entire Sound again, that's absolutely fine, but my guess is that more members would participate if we offered a full itinerary of attractions in one area of the Sound...rather than running a marathon the length of the Sound without having enough time for slower-paced backwater explorations.

Having said that, I may want to suggest a different kind of adventure for 2011--maybe a substitute for Puget Sound, End to End. We've talked about doing this before, but somehow a cruise of British Columbia's gorgeous Gulf Islands has never taken place...at least within the NWCBC. Whether we get three boats or a dozen, I know members would love cruising beyond the San Juan Islands into B.C. waters, so if there's enough interest as we approach our annual club meeting, we might be able to add some kind of B.C. cruise for 2011.

- Marty
                  http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, Just me but, i'am all for the " best kept secret " South Sound as they call it for next year. Chuck
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

If my Tolly is ready by next year for B.C. cruise I'll be there as well as the south sound. Bring it on. Andy

Comment

Marty, I'm up for either (or perhaps both) the south sound exploration and the Gulf islands. I hate driving in traffic but guess I could pull Rosario to Tacoma, for example, for the cruise. Maybe haul it to Lund to take in some northern waters.
                        Jerry & Becky
                        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Hey Andy, nice to hear from you.

I like the idea of a one or two night camping / exploration event, either in the south sound or B.C. area. Somewhere that has lodging available also for those who prefer that over camping. I think that may draw more folks with smaller boats who hesitate to undertake a long trip on the water.

Tim

Comment

Hi All,

Just in from day four of camping.

We arrived at Jarrell Cove (by auto) Friday night and left all of our camping gear, crab pots and inflatable kayak (just in case we couldn't get dock space) at a campsite. Drove back over the Hartsine Bridge and launched the empty boaty at Latimers Landing. 10 minutes later we pulled up to Jarell's Cove and grabbed the last tiny bit of dock space. The next morning we started crabbing around South Sound and spent a leisurely day cruising and floating around Harstine Island. As stated in earlier posts, we had a wonderful time meeting up with Marty, Ken and pals at Jarell Cove Saturday night.

Sunday we piled ALL the stuff, ourselves and the dog into the boat (miraculously) and made the two mile journey to the launch ramp. The wind was blowing and the weather was...less than perfect...but the South Sound waters were calm and we made the two miles run quickly. Got there and couldn't find the dog? Oh, there she is tucked under the deflated kayak in the back of the boat...

Decided to take the PT ferry home but all the reservations were booked and there was a three hour wait. Perfect excuse to lay over one more night at Fort Flagler and cruise around Mystery Bay. Passed Marty's house on the way to FF but didn't see the blue / white boat and worried that perhaps he had a rough ride home. Three hours later, saw the email (gotta love the smart phones- email anywhere) that he made it safely.

Departed PT Monday morning and made it home just long enough to do laundry, wash the boat (Chuck - you would be proud at all the boat washing that is occurring here) and then left again for a school camping trip at South Whidbey State park. Whew.

Looking forward to being in a bed tonight!

Thanks Marty for another great trip. Look forward to either the 2011 South Sound Adventure or the Gulf Islands (or both?)

Lauryn

Comment

Working...
                            X