Stehekin reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stehekin reports

Let me be the first to say how much fun we had on this awesome trip!

The group consisted of Greg James and Susie Starrfield, Lowell Lorenz, Marty Loken and Mo Moss, Lauryn and Chris Taylor with their delightful son Dylan, Richard Amberson, newcomers (and hopefully soon to be NWCBC members) Greg and Stacey Barber, my son Brendan McCrain and me.

The weather was great on Saturday, the views were beautiful and with the exception of Chris and Lauryn's Evinrude having a little starting difficulty at one point, (swiftly remedied by Lowell) uneventful. We paused for while at Domke Falls and took photos before continuing on our way to Stehekin. Once there, the folks who had reservations at the resort checked into their cushy digs while us primitive types checked out places to either tie up our floating accomodations or pitch our tents. Brendan and I had planned to camp at Purple Point, but upon arriving there found that the last camp site had been claimed minutes earlier by a family that looked suspiciously like the Taylors!

This, however, turned out to be a good thing. Although Chris and Lauryn graciously offered to scrunch into half their site and give us the other half, Brendan suggested we go over to Weaver Point and check out the spaces there. The hustle and bustle of the resort area wasn't exactly the camping experience he had in mind! We ran across the lake and pulled up to an empty dock, an empty campground with clean flush toilets and the best view on the lake. Once we unloaded the boat, Brendan began setting up camp while I ran back across the lake to persuade the Taylors to abandon their noisy crowded environment and join us in the comparative wilderness of Weaver Point.

While they packed all their gear right back into their and Lowell's boats from whence it had just been unloaded, I let the others know that the potluck dinner had been relocated from Purple Point to Weaver. I wasted the perfect amount of time doing this, as when I arrived back at the dock Lowell and the Taylors were all loaded and ready to go.

Soon after Chris and Lauryn set up camp Greg and Stacey arrived and joined us, pitching their tent. Our three tents were the only ones in the campground. Lowell decided to tie up and spend the night and soon Greg and Susie did also. Not too long after we all got settled in Marty and Mo arrived for dinner, followed by Richard.

The rest of the evening was a living example of our motto, "Good boats, Great friends". Sitting around a campfire, sharing good food, swapping stories, all the time taking in fresh air and admiring the view. At one point I overheard someone say "It just doesn't get any better than this". I couldn't agree more. I encourage everyone to take part in this trip, which is a must for our calendar next year.

Richard, Brendan and I had to head back Sunday morning, the other lucky folks stayed on another night. The GPS said we averaged 22 mph on the return trip, we left the Stehekin fuel dock at 10:20 and arrived at 25 Mile Park at 11:40. The water got a little choppy as we approached the park and after we loaded the boats and were driving away there were a few small whitecaps on the lake.

Thanks to everyone who made the trip and made it such a great time, and a special thanks to Greg James for organizing and leading this special adventure, sure to become a fixture in the NWCBC calendar!

Tim

P.S. I posted some photos in the "Lake Chelan Stehekin Adventure" gallery, but I just had to share this one with you here. Lauryn was telling us about the large fish she had on but lost just before bringing it into the boat. Look at Dylan below Lauryn - while she is illustrating the fish's length with her hands, Dylan seems to be covertly giving the REAL size of the alleged monster! Chris appears to be trying hard to remain neutral ...
    Attached Files

Thanks Tim for the great report (I'm going to the pictures next.) Wish we could have been there.
    Jerry and Becky
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

This codger needs help finding the photos. Been to photo gallery and event planning. Don't see anything posted there today. Come on, Tim, I want to see Stehekin. Been more than 20 years since I was there. Okay, really more interested in the boating pics.
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Roger, codger .. over

Jerry,
        Click on "pictures and albums" in the forum header, then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on "Lake Chelan Stehekin Adventure 2010"

Be sure to click on the images to see them larger!

Comment

OK. Just finished looking at the pictures. It's obvious you all were having waaaay to much fun. WE NEED TO PUT AN END TO THIS!!! Unless I'm there next time.
          1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

WoW! I sure picked the wrong weekend to get sick. We were all loaded and ready to go too. Beautiful place. The club needs this one next year for sure! Now that I saw the great pictures, I feel even worse! :Cold1: Gordon
            Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Great write up and photos Tim, thanks so much. Looks like the weather and lake conditions were super. Would have rather been there than at my nephews wedding even though it was at Semiamoo Resort on Birch Bay. Maybe next year. Greg, did you fish? I heard the trout were awesome there.
              Kent & Diane
              '58 Westerner

Comment

Originally posted by halffast32, post: 13499
                WoW! I sure picked the wrong weekend to get sick. We were all loaded and ready to go too. Beautiful place. The club needs this one next year for sure! Now that I saw the great pictures, I feel even worse! :Cold1: Gordon
                Gordon, we missed you guys, we were pretty dissapointed when Cheryl called and said you weren't feeling well. Sure sorry you got sick, hope you're feeling better now. And yes, plan on making this one next year, it's a must for the calendar.

Tim

Comment

Chelan and Stehekin--What a Weekend!

We just got home from Lake Chelan (Monday night), and can confirm everything positive that Tim mentioned....including great weather and water conditions (relative to what we could have encountered), wonderful company and stunning scenery.

While others tent-camped or slept aboard their boats, we weren't prepared for either (I slept in the Skagit 17 runabout one night during the Puget Sound Run, and that was enough of that), so we stayed Saturday and Sunday nights at the Stehekin Landing Resort, and headed down the lake early this morning in order to make an appointment at the Les Schwab outlet in Chelan. (Heading for Chelan on Friday, especially coming down the eastern slope of the Cascades, we had a hairy experience with front brakes squealing and pulling to one side dramatically....not something you want to experience at 60 mph with a boat trailer pushing you down the mountain. Good thing we dealt with the repair before heading back over the mountains, since the front disc brakes on the old Blazer were totally shot.)

While we've been up to Stehekin before, in the past we've only taken the Lady of the Lake tour boat, so it was amazing to make the run with our own boat...and especially in the company of friends. The buddy system came in handy a few times, as Tim suggested, but we all made it up the lake under our own power. (We had to leave before others this morning, so hopefully everyone else made it back okay.)

Many thanks to Greg James for organizing the event, and to Lauryn for showing the rest of us how to catch fish!

Here are a few miscellaneous shots from the weekend; I'll post more tomorrow, but it's getting late and we're bushed.

- Marty and Mo
                  Attached Files
                  http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Ok, next time all my friends and family bail, I am hooking the boat up to the truck, grabing the pony keg and coming by myself!!! I can't believe the weather and water conditions you all had. The handful of times I have been on the lake with the hydroplanes it has been horrible...

I sincerely hope the group can make this happen again next year!!!

Amazing photos!!!
                    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

More Chelan Photos....

I'll move photos over to the Pictures & Albums section later, but here are some additional shots from our great weekend at Lake Chelan, running from 25-Mile Creek State Park up to Stehekin and back.

- Marty
                      Attached Files

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Where Chelan Is Rough, and Why...

Yesterday, killing four hours while our Blazer brakes were being rebuilt, we meandered the streets of Chelan and visited the U.S. Forest Service office--a great stop--where we found a terrific cutaway drawing of the lake done in 1974 by Wally Peterson and cartographer Alex Alexander. (You can buy the entire drawing at the Forest Service office, or probably order it by calling their office in Chelan. Cost was $6.00.)

In order to better see the details, I photographed it in two sections. The first photo, below, is a map of the lake, with the town of Chelan at the right-hand (south) end and Stehekin at the left edge of the lake map, 50 miles north of Chelan. You can see the pinched-in section of the lake near Manson that they call The Narrows, where wind and waves coming from either direction get pinched into a froth.

The second drawing really tells the story of why The Narrows (south of 25-Mile Creek, where we launched) can be the roughest portion of Lake Chelan. As the cutaway drawing illustrates, Lake Chelan is almost two separate bodies of water--the incredibly deep Lucerne Basin to the north, and the much shallower, smaller Wapato Basin to the south. Depths in the Lucerne Basin approach 1,500 feet (!), and the northern portion of the lake contains 92% of all the water in Lake Chelan. It's easy to see why, especially when winds are from north to south (left to right), it gets unbearably rough at The Narrows...both because of the relatively shallow shelf between the two basins, but also because the wind-wave action gets compressed between steep side walls of the mountains that surround Lake Chelan.

In the lower cutaway drawing, our launch site at 25-Mile Creek State Park is almost exactly in the center of the drawing, six miles north of The Narrows.

As others have suggested and we know from personal experience, Lake Chelan can quickly be whipped up into a nasty froth of wind and waves, but the section of the lake north of 25-Mile Creek is generally safer for small boats than the area around The Narrows. We were incredibly fortunate this weekend to have the roughest water be, as one member said, "sort of like Lake Washington on a Sunday afternoon." But for the most part we enjoyed water conditions more like Mason Lake, the site of our next event on Saturday, September 25.

- Marty
                        Attached Files

Comment

Final Chelan Photos

...And here are a few others from the weekend's terrific gathering on Lake Chelan.

- Marty
                          Attached Files

Comment

Lake Chelan--Ancient Indian Pictographs

Almost directly across the lake from Stehekin are a series of Indian pictographs, painted on sheer rock walls just above the water level. Before the dam was built at the town of Chelan and the lake level was a bit lower, close to a hundred additional pictographs and petroglyphs were found from one end of Lake Chelan to the other...but most were submerged when the lake level went up with dam construction.

Here's a portion of the Stehekin pictograph wall. Unfortunately, some idiots have painted their names alongside the pictographs, and other visitors have "enhanced" some of the old wall paintings with touchup work...but most of the original drawings remain unscathed.

- Marty
                            Attached Files

Comment

Kent, The fishing was great right off the dock. Lauren caught a bunch of rain bows (8 to 10") I caught 2 ( 10to 22" actually 6 to 14") and our new members Greg and Stacy Barber tried trolling with gang gear and got a couple of solid bights but did catch a few of the dock. Lauren was the premier fisherwomen. She worked at it while Greg and I just put our lines in and went back to the fire or whatever and went back to check them later. I was just floating power bait off the bottom and Lauren was using a rooster tail with a triple hook and salmon eggs. She did really well. She even beaned a duck in the head. The duck gave her hell for that and I told her that I was getting off the dock because I was fearin for my life and not lon after I came back on the dock sure enough she hocked me up. She is the mad fisherwomen .
                              Susie and I really enjoyed this trip and I think because Chuck Bower recommened that we do it in September we had excellent weather and the lake was in great shape. Things easily could have been a lot different. The crowds were down also because it was the week end after laborday. We all owe Chuck Bower a lot of thanks and applause. Chuck used to work on the lake ( he used to help get all the wood out) so because of his knowledge we were fortunate to have a great time.
                              I would very much like to make this an annual event at the same time of the year although next year there will be some miiner changes and suggestions to make it a little safer and comfortable. We will probably discusse this at our next planning meeting.
                              Thanks to everybody that were able to take part in this event. We had a great turn out and we even picked up a couple of new members.
                              Everybody welcome Greg and Stacy Barber. This was actually there first time on the water and I thought they did very well. They have a 18' wooden Reinell which Greg is in the process of restoring.

See you next year at Steheken
                              Greg and Susie
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X