Mason Lake Event Details--Sept. 25

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mason Lake Event Details--Sept. 25

On Saturday, September 25, NWCBC members will get to try out a new waterfront venue at Mason Lake during our popular annual gathering there. Thanks in part to Thom (Dr. Frankenmerc) Adams, a one-time employee of Simpson Timber Co., we'll have exclusive use of the Simpson Timber Recreation Park, a private facility at the west end of the lake, where there's a good launching ramp, lots of trailer parking, a picnic shelter, restrooms, soft beach for those who want to tie their boats along the shoreline, and a launch-ramp float and dock for others to use.

While we were tentatively scheduled to once again meet at the other private park on the lake--the one we've used for several years--we were told a few weeks ago that NWCBC would not be allowed to use the facility this year. Happily, the Simpson Timber Recreation Park became available when Thom made inquiries, so it's "all ours" for September 25, with a launch ramp that's reportedly better than the one we've used in the past.

As Brian mentioned, ACBS boats will gather at Mason Lake this coming weekend--one week before our event--so there will be no cross-pollination of the two clubs at Mason Lake this year. The lake, and the venue, will be populated only by NWCBC boats on the 25th.

For directions to Simpson Timber Recreation Park, use Google Maps or Mapquest and enter the address: 500 East Mason Lake Drive West, Grapeview, WA 98546. Basically, for those of you who've been to Mason Lake before, just drive around the lake perimeter until you get to the west end. There's a sign alongside the road directing you onto the Simpson Timber property.

The park doors open at 9 a.m. Let's launch boats between about 9:30 and 10:30 a.m., enjoy rides around the lake, and share a potluck lunch in the picnic shelter at about 1 p.m.

I'd like to suggest a special theme for this year's Mason Lake Rendezvous: "TAKE SOMEONE FOR A RIDE." Because this is the last regular on-the-water event of our season, and because Mason Lake is the perfect place to go for rides in each others' boats, let's try to share more boat rides with others--and with folks who come without their own boat--at this year's gathering.

An added bonus this year will be some special raffle prizes for those who attend, so be sure to bring yourself, if not your boat, to Mason Lake on Saturday, September 25.

Below are some photos of the Simpson Timber Recreation Park, taken last week by Dr. Frankenmerc, who says we'll love the new park.

Let's end our regular boating season with a bang, by having the biggest turnout of the year at Mason Lake. Please bring your boat or boat project--finished or not--and have a great time together at this "perfect boating lake." (Maybe, if enough folks bring project boats, we can offer a spontaneous restoration workshop in the parking lot, right after our potluck lunch.)

We'll post more details in coming days...and we'll hope to see you there!

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, Will be there with " California Girl ". Let's plan on going back to the 50's this time with the G-3. Best,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Mason Lake Boat Rides

Chuck -

I can't wait to go for a ride in the G-3....and I plan to give lots of boat rides in the '58 Skagit 17 inboard runabout. This should be a great event, and the weather forecast (despite what you see out the window today) looks very good for Sept. 25 at Mason Lake.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Looks great!

I'd like to second Marty's call for a good turn-out at this event. This is a rare opportunity for us to have a private park all to ourselves, practically like having our own lake to play on!

If you have a running boat, bring it and run it. If you have a non-running boat, haul it down and we'll stand around and talk about it. If you don't have a boat that you can run or tow, come on down and ride in someone else's boat. Or if you prefer you can just hang out on shore and be first in line for the potluck!

And, there is the tantalizing possibility of Slo-mo's imaginative (or imaginary) Glastron making an appearance, or Mark Denis's twice-baked ... err .. twice restored Bell Boy Express, with it's shiny new paint job that threatens to make the rest of our boats look like neglected hulks.

And bring a few dollar bills for the raffle!

Comment

parallel reality

Looks like I've got some photoshoppin' to do!:email1: See you there...

Comment

Slo-Mo...

Hey, Greg, if those photos aren't a great reason for everybody to come to Mason Lake on the 25th, I don't know what'll get them there! Seeing the PhotoShopBoat in person will be terrific, especially since Tim has assured us that it'll be one of the raffle items.

See you there!

- Marty

Comment

Bait and Switch...

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 13577
              Seeing the PhotoShopBoat in person will be terrific, especially since Tim has assured us that it'll be one of the raffle items.- Marty
              Hate to say it Marty- Once again Commodore candidate McCrain has overpromised and underdelivered; the actual raffle item is his derelict DelMar powered by a restored Homelite.

P.S. I will be supplying 3D glasses for everyone attending, so they can view the photoshop boat as if it were real.

Comment

Oh Greg, there you go again ...

Obviously, the Del mar with a Homelite couldn't be the raffle prize, since if I hung an engine on that thing and tried to tow it I would end up with a Homelite on it's side halfway down the driveway surrounded by bits of rotten wood and flakes of house paint.

Of course, a Homelite would be a pretty good raffle prize ... after all, a Homelite in the hand is worth two imaginary Photoshop boats in the bush. I'll put together this one I have in the shop for somebody and we can raffle it off.

Should I bring an electric trolling motor with me in case your squirt gun motivation doesn't perform? I'd hate to see you tow that thing (assuming it really exists) all the way to Mason Lake and not be able to cruise around ...

Seriously, though ... all teasing aside, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Glastron in the water.

And we'll have a bunch of cool NWCBC raffle items to give away.

Comment

Mason Lake Mirages

So, Mr. Slo-Mo, will the 3-D glasses also help us see the hologram you keep referring to "Holly," your "wife," or is she just another product of PhotoShop?

If we're contributing raffle items, here are three that I'd make available as prizes...although the lucky winners will have to fetch them at the Park-n-Hide since I can only tow one boat to Mason Lake--and it won't be one of these beauties:

- Marty

P.S. - The item in the center photo is not a broken-up boat; it's a hardtop that could go on a variety of runabouts in the 14-17' range. While it looks like a '54-'57 Bell Boy 16' hardtop, that's not quite what it is.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks real to me...

Wow, the Glastron is looking great Greg! Can't wait to see it!
                    Mark
                    Silverdale, WA.
                    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Mason Lake--One Week!

With one week to go, it's probably time to start asking who's planning to attend?

So far, from memory, we have the following informally signed up:

Chuck Carey - G3

Greg Lamb - Glastron custom Photoshopboat

Mark Denis - Re-restored Bell Boy 16, done or not

Tim McCrain - Sabrecraft runabout

Marty Loken - Skagit 17 runabout

Joe Johanesen - Skagit 16 Ski-Master

Bruce Drake - Axtell raceboat

Thom Adams - G3

A few of Thom's friends with their Powercats

We know from the past that a bunch of other members will be there...so if you're thinking of coming out for this end-of-season fling, potluck and prize raffle, please let us know herewith....

Thanks,

- Marty
                      Attached Files

Comment

Westerner will be there after I clean off the fish scales and scrape off the salt.
                        Kent & Diane
                        '58 Westerner

Comment

Simpson Park Facility

NWBC is going to really enjoy this setting!

We had an ACBS event there yesterday, with 18 boats and about 20 collector cars brought over by a local club. Boat rides, poker run, barbecue -we did it all, and it is a far better place to hold the event than the old community park.

The ramp is real good, there is plenty of parking and a large covered picnic area to enjoy the potuck and specialties/surprises that it seems are going to be provided. Plus, there is a good-sized field to park/display the raffle items right next to the ramp.

You have dockage at the ramp for perhaps six-eight boats, but be careful on the inside, as there is a hump of rocks with an old piling in the middle. I'm visiting the prop shop tomorrow as I hit the bottom there with a boatload of people aboard. Turns out I was about a half-inch too deep...

About 100 yards away around the end of the cove, there are a bunch of finger piers where you should be able to double up on each side and tie about 24 boats, not to mention some beaching opportunities nearby. It's a nice walk away, crossing a footbridge over a stream that splits the property.

Enjoy!

Dick Dow

Comment

Thanks for the report, Dick. Sounds like you guys had a good turnout.

Sorry to hear about your boat's "war wound", did any other boats see action?

Tim

Comment

Marty,

I'll be at Mason Lake weather permitting, provided they release me from the looney bin from this ding dong computer.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X