Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Eastern Washington

Hello all
    My name is Kevin and I'm from the Tri-Cities (Kennewick) in E.Washington. I have recently joined the an elite group of classic boat owners with the purchase of my 61 Bell Boy. Although I'm not sure what model it is as I'm also a new boat owner in general and not very familiar with it. It is a 16' and was purchased new by the family I got it from so I'm 2nd owner, which is kinda cool it has the original 40hp Johnson electric Sea Horse motor with controls for electric start trolling motor but motor is not there anymore, red and white in color (red is in need of repaint) all is still working except the horn which will be with some time.

One of my problems is a top for it it had a soft top that snapped to the windshieild that had zipper side windows and a back deck cover that only a couple of pieces were still there and I would like to replace it but can't find anything but a Bimini type top. Does anyone have any ideas were to pursue a top??? anyway I have been reading the forum and have seen some really nice boats you guys have out there!!! Thanks for listening

61 Bell

61 Bell Boy

Kevin -

Welcome to the quirky world of vintage boats, where "slightly weird" is perfectly normal...at least in terms of the boats we drag home.

If you can post photos of your '61 Bell Boy, members can help confirm the year and tell you the exact model you have.

For soft tops, other than off-the-shelf generics, you'll have to take the boat to an upholstery shop that does boats as well as cars. (There's bound to be at least one in the Tri-Cities area.) They'll be able to bend and fit new top-support bows, supply the appropriate hardware and, of course, make a top that fits the boat nicely.) Please let us know if you find someone you're happy with, so we can add them to our Restoration Resource Directory--available by clicking the link on our Home Page.

We have at least one other member in the Tri-Cities, Charlie and Pat Johns of Richland, who own a Skagit 20' project boat that'll be on the water next summer. I can put you in touch with them if you wish, since they may know something about local-area upholstery shops.

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Welcome to the club Kevin. You will have to find a place that will custom make a new top for you. Don't recall if we have memberrs in the Tri-Cities who can recommend such places to you. It's been about 50 years since I lived in Kennewick so I'm afraid I can't be of help there. Anyway, it is possible that the red gelcoat can be brought back with a lot of scrubbing. There are people in the club who will be happy to tell you how to do it. If you happen to have more time than money, I'd say that is the best choice there (depending on just how long the boat has set out in the Tri-City sun. How about posting some pics of your new boat?
      Jerry
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!!! Marty, It would be great to have contact info for Charlie and Pat (always like to meet new people) As far as the top I will give that a try // I thought maybe there was someplace to get one off the shelf like it had as it was not the original but all I find are ones that are above the windshield and none connect to the windshield maybe it was a custom that it had but it had the clear zip on/off side windows. I just can't find any suppliers that even have that style for any make of boat (but I just started looking also ) thnaks again to all!

Comment

Well
          I did some looking and found a place here in Kennewick the work isn't done yet but a real good guy and about 200.00 cheaper than 2 other places here in town ( no names mentioned about the higher guys )

Crawford's Custom Upholstery
          2118 S Ledbetter St, Kennewick, WA 99337-2328
          (509) 582-5945

anyway haven't got the work done but he assured me it would have the window and back curtain provisions so it should be good it will be going to him soon

Thanks again to all for the suggestions

Comment

Working...
          X