Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courtesy lights continued...

Hi All:

I really like John Kelly's courtesy light set up on his BellBoy. I am concerned with a similar install on mine because of night glare that these lights might cause in the cockpit area. I DO like to cruise at night...

Here is a link to one I found on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

What do you all think? Is red the way to go if you don't want the glare? or, if you look carefully at this picture of my helm, what if I mounted 2 of these in white (preferable) under the pedestal top "lip" in my design? That would reflect the light downward thus illuminating the floor and not the helm and pilot's vision?

Thanks,

Bob
    Attached Files

Courtesy Lights

I checked out the ebay offering. Looks to be a Perko stern light with a red lens. Price is right, but is pretty big and requires a big hole in your boat.

I've been looking for courtesy lights as well and looked at a number at the Fisheries store (upstairs) They have some LED red courtesy lights. Can't remember the brands, cost was $15 and up. The chrome ones were spendy.

Red light doesn't affect your night vision and is recomended if you need to illuminate the cockpit while running.

I've run quite a bit at night, have "Flamethrowers" mounted in the bow. Flamethrowers are docking lights with GE 4509
    4" sealed beam bulbs. These are aircraft landing bulbs and have a narrow pencil beam. Even with the flamethrowers and red instrument bulbs, I find I sometimes need to turn off all interior lights including instrument lights, GPS screen and radar in order to see well.

One last thing, it's illegal to run with the 4509 bulbs on, but everyone does it.
    Just remember to turn them off if a vessel is approaching within 3 miles or so. The 4509's will blind an oncoming boater at 2 miles. Also helps if you clock the bulbs so that the filament is vertical. This will keep the beam extra narrow.

In addition to cockpit lights I'm probably going to install rope lighting under the combing flange and maybe along the floor in the cabin. Probably one in amber and one red. Most rope lights are 120 volts, but fisheries sells 12 volt rope by the foot. ALso available LED rope which is even better....lasts longer.

I'll photograph Fisheries lighting display next time I'm in Seattle and post the pics here......

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Thanks very much, Tim. I think I will go with this Perko light on Ebay in red.

Bob

Comment

Bob-

Check out some of the lighting suppliers either on the web or in person. Fisheries (our local shop, but they also mail order) has some very cool LED lights that have 3-4 white points with one red one at the center. I have not looked at the switching requirements, but the idea is to use one light that can be white (when moored) or red (when under way). I will see if I can find a part number.

As long as you are wiring, might as well add some under water thru hull lighting. Talk about big "pimpin" while sitting at the dock!
        Under water light
        BRIAN FRANCHINI
        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

The lights i bought reflect downward and light the deck up nicely but will not hinder my vision. I put all my lights on switches on my helm to monitor them easily.
          The website you found is the same guy i am buying my stainless steel door knobs that are just like the perko 927 but stainless. He seems like a real nice guy as i talked to him on the phone. The one you sent me was real close but i am getting the one with a door lock.

I still hope somehow we can go boating together with all the 404's.
          John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Amen to that, John. I have thought about the idea of one BIG road trip from Rochester, NY to Lake Almanor, Ca. This is where I "grew up" with the BellBoy at our family's cabin there. I would pick up John DeHaan in Minneapolis with his 404 sedan, continue on up to WA. finally meet all of you guys, timing our arrival to sync with one of your major summertime get-togethers. Then we would drive south to Lake Almanor and relax there before heading back. Now that fuel costs are attractive again, it may be the time to do it.

Bob

Comment

Now that sounds like a Dream trip! If you can make it happen i will make it happen on my end to be there for an exciting rendezvous. How about 4 or 5 404's amongst all those Skagits!
              John & Diane Kelly

Comment

A suggestion...look to motorcycle sources for lighting. In the past 5 years or so, all manner of LED lighting has become very popular for the V-Twin crowd. These are used to illuminated the engine and underneath the bike, and the technology (mounting and connections) has matured past the early rinky dink arrangements.

Keep in mind that bikes and boats (and to an extent, planes as well) share similar environments in terms of moisture and vibration.

Comment

Lighting,Red + White and Amber too!

Hey Bob,
                  I love inside and storage lighting in all of my hulls and used both Red and White in my Seafair.A 2 pos switch lets me toggle from white to red so I can drive in early morning darkness to my Salmon catching areas.
                  A cheap way to light under dashes is with cheap Turn signal lamp and base used in Trucks and cars.The larger Amber bulb is great under a dash and tied to the bow light so you sorta see when it`s on as it glows under the dash.
                  Light the Dash wall instead of trying to light the whole inside of the hull and you`ll get indirect ligting that doesn`t blind the driver.
                  I also like the cheaper chrome Sea-Dog lights that sell for a mere $5 or so.They use two screws and surface mt......not LED but a 1/3rd the price.
                  I`d go all LED if using overnite instead of short trips where my motor is almost always on.
                  TimM
                  unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                  15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                  SeaRay 175BR
                  Hi-Laker lapline
                  14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                  X