Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting laminated auto glass

FYI CUTTING LAMINATED AUTO GLASS

I got some good information from John McCain who works for Novus in Anacortes about cutting laminated auto glass.

You basicly have to scribe both sides of the glass with a glass cutter, then carefully break both sides along the scribe line. In the past, the glass shops would pour alcohol on the plastic center and light it on fire to seperate the plastic, but John said OSHA frowned on the proceedure due to the fact that alcohol flame is invisible.

If you need to radius the corners, John said you scribe the radius and make fan shaped scribes out to the edge and then break the small pieces off.

Once you have the radius close to shape you take a grinder and clean up the shape. This is where it gets tricky, because you need to add coolant (water) to the grinding process to keep the glass and plastic liner cool. Too much heat and the glass will delaminate.

Lastly you polish the edges so as to preclude stress cracks from developing. This is a critical step.

John said they can do flat laminated glass and have the water cooled grinder and polisher. They won't do curved glass however.

John gave me the name of a guy in Anacortes who cuts curved auto glass. I'll have to dig out his name...has escaped me at the moment. Will post when I find it..

Was watching the Science channel a few months back and noted that the scientific community doesn't consider glass to be a solid, but is rather a supercooled liquid.

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

As most every one knows...anything can be done if you throw enough money at it. The windshield for this 34 roadster (built by Wicked Fabrication) was cut from the center section of a mid 50's Chevy. If you got the money and desire, there are people out there willing to do the work. The build budget for this car was more than what I spent bulding my house.

BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

$$ Custom fabrication $$

Great looking hot rod! Is that yours? Obviously a lot of attention to detail in that car. Too nice to drive! Yes, anything custom fabricated is costly. That's what makes it special, I guess!? I restored a Skagit 20 years back and that ran 17 months and 7 grand.
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Not mine. It was owned by a friend and neighbor, but sold at Barrett Jackson two years ago. Only 6 months after it was finished. He took it back East for one of the major car shows a few weeks after the shakedown. To qualify for the big awards, the car had to be driven from the host hotel to the show grounds daily. The car is so low, you can not scruntch down below the windshield. On the second day, he took a bee to the eye and said he knew right then the car would be sold. A great lesson that no matter how cool something looks, it is not always practical. I learned this with my little Playmaster. A 14' boat is a lot of fun, but you better not have many friends!
        BRIAN FRANCHINI
        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Working...
        X