My new (old) steering wheel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new (old) steering wheel

Apparently came off of an "AQUABIRD" according to the glass emblem. This sure looks like a late 50's MEL (Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln). I've seen versions of this that were a complete normal circle and others just like this.

The original TV Batmobile used a cutdown MEL wheel and it sure looked an awful lot like this. Anyway, the hub and mounting flange have seen better days but seeing as how I'll have to modify the wheel to fit a modern steering system (and hub) this is no problem.

Don't the newer steering wheels have splined shafts? This one has a tapered shaft with a grooved slot for a roll pin and terminates with a threaded end.
    Attached Files

That's cool! Is the wheel aluminum? I guess it's not really a wheel, what ever it is I like it. - Ross
    Ross Henson

Comment

Thanks Ross, guess your question is valid as it really isn't a "wheel" in the strictest sense LOL

Comment

That wheel is a Nautalloy wheel that was designed by Thomas Full. The "Aquabird" was the design name for that particular line. There were cleats & other stuff that matched it. I have some stashed away, along with the wheel. Your wheel was most likely modified by cutting off the bottom and top rims of the wheel. I had one liuke your once, but only the top part was removed. I have never been able to find any lit. that shows a bowtie wheel - therefore, I feel that it is a custom mod. All marine wheels use a keyway. Automobiles use splined hubs.

Comment

Thanks for the info....I've seen these bowtie wheels in rat rods which may support the notion that they were in fact offered in this configuration. My wheel doesn't appear to have been modified as it's entirely chromed (but of course it could've been redipped after the debauchery).

Funny thing is that I thought Aquabird was a brand of boat and not just the wheel...seems to be an odd name for a wheel!

This has a tapered shaft with a roll pin/key.

Comment

Originally posted by BB404, post: 1887
            ..seems to be an odd name for a wheel!
            It wasn't just the wheel - the whole collection of hardware with that styling was called 'Aquabird'. Other hardware mfgs did the same thing. Attwood had a line of stuff called "SeaFlite" which is VERY desirable. There's lots to learn about old crap.......

Comment

Am familar with the Atwood wheels...way snazzy. You're so right about so much to learn about these older parts...historical documentation or literature is so damn rare.

Comment

Working...
              X