Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1955 Skagit Express Cruiser.....thanks Marty!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Skagit Express Cruiser.....thanks Marty!

New members here: Jan and Duncan McCallie.

We currently live aboard a Monk trawler in Seattle I've been building for the past several years (still not quite finished)

And yet, we recently adopted a Skagit 20 (inboard) project from Marty in Nordland.

Since I've owned a "project boat" brokerage for many years, I do know better but most of you are familiar with this disease.

We look forward to making some of the events but it will probably be next year before she floats.
    Duncan McCallie

Ed Monk Trawler "Turning Point"
    1955 Skagit 20

Welcome aboard with the group.
    We all like pictures so Post away.:TakePicture1::TakePicture1::TakePicture1:
    I am sure I am not the only one that would enjoy pictures of your trawler as well as the new nesting place of the Skagit 20.

If I remember right, she got a flotation foam job too.

What engine is going in her ?
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thank you!
      Right about the foam, that was a bonus.
      I bought the Ford Interceptor Y block that Marty had with it.
      I've attached a photo of the trawler. The further away you are the more finished it looks

BTW. Tim "Tohatsu" Mattson has been invaluable in keeping my inflatable running.
      Attached Files
      Duncan McCallie

1955 Skagit 20

Comment

Hi, I'm Duncan and I'm a boataholic

Welcome Duncan, you're among friends! :BigHappy1:

Some of us thought we had it bad, taking on another project while still working on one, but you're taking on another while living on another one! Awesome!

You've given us all someone we can point to and say to our spouses "See, I'm not crazy! You may have saved some marriages here today.

Seriously, welcome to the club Jan and Duncan, hope to get a closer look at the trawler, she's a beauty.

Tim

Comment

Is there a 12 step program for this?

Tim,
          Thanks for those words of encouragement.
          I'm told the first step to recovery is having to admit there's a problem.

But I only have two or three, I see a couple of guys here that have a whole fleet!
          Duncan McCallie

1955 Skagit 20

Comment

Need More Boats

OK, Ok, ok......
            I have at least 10 of my own, just Boat project at my place.
            I could get real nuts as I am on 5 acres, but the good wife keeps me in check.

We have this program going on that is called NMB.
            Some think it means, No More Boats.
            Me, I am still confused as I have it as, NEED More Boats. :surprised1:

What the hell, you only make this trip in this form, Once.

OK Marty....Lets have a boat count. I did not count customers boats either.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Projectboats, post: 16466
              Tim,
              Thanks for those words of encouragement.
              I'm told the first step to recovery is having to admit there's a problem.

But I only have two or three, I see a couple of guys here that have a whole fleet!
              Yes, there is a twelve step program. You have two boats, so only ten more steps to go.

:GoodJob:

Comment

NMB that's a good one.

Thank God Marty had sold that 17 Skagit before I got back to Hadlock.

One more boat and I'll be looking at a competency hearing.
                Duncan McCallie

1955 Skagit 20

Comment

Duncan, I think that if you run a "project" boat brokerage, you need to post some more pictures! There are some amazing deals on boats out there right now and this site is full of suckers for a good project. (Hey, I resemble that comment!)
                  BRIAN FRANCHINI
                  LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Hi Brian,
                    I've had "Project Boat Company" for the last 15 years and have only recently been winding it down. As you said, "lot's of deals out there" but no financing anymore.
                    I still have some interesting projects available. although not all "classics" :BigHappy1:
                    I'd be happy to post a few but, being new here, I don't want to ruffle any feathers. What would be the correct procedure?

BTW. I lived on Tacoma Point on Lake Tapps in the 60's-and early 70's. We had a 20' Skagit then "racy ann" and I put together a drag boat w/327 and straight stacks. I'm sure the neighbors loved me.
                    I know this 20 Skagit project is some weird way of reliving my youth.
                    Duncan McCallie

1955 Skagit 20

Comment

Post away!

Duncan,

Post ads for whatever you'd like to sell/trade in the Classifieds Forum, I'm sure everyone would like to see what you have. The classified section is open to all, no ruffled feathers!

Or, if you just want to share / brag about what you're hoarding, post those in the Restoration forum. We always like to see someone else's collection.

Tim

Comment

Duncan's drag boat was one of the "coolest" boats on Lake Tapps in those days. I got to ride in it quite a few times, and skied behind it a few times. The most memorable time was when he "lost" me at about 60 mph right in front of our graduation party. I think I skipped across the water for about a 1/4 mile before I finally stopped. Definately the "GOOD OLD DAYS"
                        Jack Leslie
                        1948 Sande launch
                        1962 Stiletto

Comment

Welcome Duncan and Jack!
                          Maybe we can get Duncan to tell us about the old "blackball" race he used to do on the Puyallop.......1st one to the 1st bridge gets the cash.
                          Sounds like good clean fun to me.
                          Love the Trawler too,keeping the tender at my house lets me claim "Not(all) My Boats".
                          Almost time to squeeze it between my fleet and pump it back up.
                          TM
                          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                          SeaRay 175BR
                          Hi-Laker lapline
                          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Ouch Tim.
                            You must have been talking to Jack about my very short and "less than glorious" racing career.
                            I think the deal was the first boat from Tacoma to the Puyallup bridge would get $100-150.
                            If you've driven along that stretch of river, there are sandbars all over the place. So we decided to make a test run the week before and kind of map out the best course.
                            Everything went fine all the way to the bridge. The boat would do about 70 so we were there in short order. Maybe because things were going so well we went just a little further up river......big mistake....as the boat ground to a stop, I was able to jump out into about a foot of water and push us off. I wobbled back to the trailer with a bent prop, shaft and rudder.
                            I didn't even see the actual race the next weekend. I'm sure I was back up at Lake Tapps licking my wounds.
                            Hey Tim, at least I didn't go up on the bank!
                            :Bigdriving1:
                            Duncan McCallie

1955 Skagit 20

Comment

Touche

Hey Duncan,
                              I`ll never live that one down......
                              35.7 mph down to Zero in about a second,then elevation rose about 8` according to my buddie`s Garmin Colorado GPS.
                              Had we not had the "Divine Intervention" we would have skidded thru some 5`` shallows.
                              Thanx for sharing the story.
                              TM
                              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                              SeaRay 175BR
                              Hi-Laker lapline
                              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                              X