• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening day 2011 - salish sea treasures

Here we go again....

The official schedule is:

Saturday May 7, 2011

Mountlake cut closed promptly at 9:40 am

Group meeting at South end of Lake Union on west side of The Center for Wooden Boats (between Kenmore air and Seattle Ferry Services building) between 10:00 and 11:00 am

Parade officially starts "promptly" @ 12:00 pm

We will likely be in the "S" or "T" grouping again so we don't actually go through to after 1-1:30 pm.

Mountlake Cut reopens to boat traffic "roughly" @ 2:30 pm

The theme is "Salish Sea Treasures", as of right now we have not finalized a group costume agreement so it is still open to debate and personal interpretation. Our boat will be filled with passengers dressed as giant squids and crustations. We will also be towing at least one, possibly two, people on decorated towables (thinking Orca or other whale).

I would like to request that every boat have at least one passengers dressed in some kind of theme related costume, if you don't have anyone with you when you arrive we may try to move people around to get a costume on every vessel (this is how we get the unitity portion of the judging).

That being said, I know it is our group's official policy that due to insurance issues and such only paid members can run their boats through the parade. However, I will be posting an open invitation to all webmembers to bring their persons and ride along. The judges love to see boats with lots of smiling people!!! Although the water police aren't as into seeing large numbers of poeple on little boats (I have been stopped every single year and harrassed about passenger numbers and having lifejackets for all persons on board)

Happy Motoring!!! Hope to see everyone on the water!!!:boater1:
    Attached Files
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Group theme costumes are decided

After several discussions with the participants of the April 16th Lake Union cruise, we have come to a final decision of the theme and costumes for Opening Day.

The captains dress as a 50's / 60's captain. This can be done with a simple blue blazer with shiny brass cufflinks and buttons, or you can go all the way with a captain's hat.

Passengers can dress in some kind of Salish Sea appropriate attire. This can be a sea creature (octopus, crab, whale, starfish, salmon, etc. etc. etc) or you can dress as something that well known in the area (totem pole, fisherman, scuba diver, ferry?, lighthouse, etc. etc.

My crew are working on making 20-25 octopus costumes that will be available to purchase for around $10. They are made from an old (adult large) sweetshirt with a octopus tennicles sewn on. Please email me or post here if you are interested in reserving one of these so that I make sure we don't over commit and I can remember who gets them the day of the event.

Here are some links to potential costume ideas:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...d=Octopus+Belt

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...flatable+Whale

http://www.thebigzoo.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=15667

http://www.thebigzoo.com/shopping/sh...&cat=Foam+Caps

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Stuffed-Plush...ht_1058wt_1141

http://www.rtdtrading.com/shop/main.cgi?&1252954371

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Glasses-Buddy-Wayfarer-Black-Frame/dp/B001"]Amazon.com: Glasses-Buddy-Wayfarer-Black-Frame dp B001[/ame]

Thanks for your cooperation and participation!!

Happy motoring!!!
    Brian Flaherty

Comment

Brian , Please let me know about your statement. If we arrive at the parade WITH one of your costume ,BUT no decorations on our boat , will i not be allow to participate as i think you saying ? Some of our boats ( Skagit's , Bellboys, etc ) are from the Salish Sea area if you want to get down to it, that in itself should be good enough as far as boat decorations go. Get it ? The boat is the decoration. I 'am really not trying to give you a bad time but just want to know what to expect if anything. Chuck

Comment

Brian, You may be in it to win it but I would hope that most people would be in it to simply have fun. I have always thought of this club as a relaxed, nonformal and unassuming organization. When we first started attending these parades it was because we wanted to show our boats and make the puplic aware of NWCBC. I have been using this event as a deadline to finish my boat. I guess I can relax now. I'm sorry you have that additude.
        Greg James

Comment

Deep breaths, everybody ...

I'm sure Brian didn't mean his post to come across as harsh as it did, he and I spoke about this Saturday and I'm absolutely sure the last thing he wants to do is alienate anyone, make anyone unwelcome or turn our participation in this event into a hard-core competition.

This is the first time Brian has volunteered his time, which is as scarce as everyone else's, to organize our participation in Opening Day and he is taking it seriously and wants it to be a successful event. In doing so, he has experienced what everyone else who organizes an event for our club experiences, which is a general expression of interest and desire to participate accompanied by a general lack of consensus-building discussion. In other words, everyone wants to do it but few want to do it.

On Saturday I sensed that Brian was a little stumped that we were so close to the event and there hadn't been more discussion and consensus about themes, costumes, etc. His posts on the subject, which he intended to spark discussion, instead resulted in only a few comments. I suggested to him that perhaps the best course was to take the lack of discussion as an indication that we all wanted him to decide what we were doing and let us know, which is the way it seems to be most of the time. In fact I used Saturday's cruise as an example, when I asked everyone what they would like to do for lunch I didn't exactly get an overwhelming response, at least not when compared to the number of participants. So I took that to mean that everyone wanted me to decide. I chose the spot and the time, let everyone know, and we had a great time. I suggested to Brian that he should go ahead and decide what is appropriate for us and let everyone know, then members could decide if they wanted to participate or not.

If the majority of the club wants to get serious about opening day, then they need to speak up, step up and support the person who volunteered to organize it. If the majority would like it to remain a more casual affair, then they also need to speak up and make their desire known.

What I hope we don't do is forget that we're friends, or that none of us are professional speechwriters, and that genuine enthusiasm can sometimes result in wording that doesn't agree with everyone. I know it has for me, how about you?

Tim

Comment

Well said Tim. I marvel that people actually do step up and work their butts off to make these events happen. If it were left up to me, the club would drift about until someone stepped up and threw me out and got things going again! Thanks to you, Brian and every one else who has come forward to lead.
            There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Right Jerry, We should elected Tim to a 2nd term for Commodore ! ...really
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Tim, nobody should be able to restrict a paid member from any event except for safety issues. We pay our dues so we can participate. I respect what Brian is trying to do and I would (and have in the past)comply but the prospect of anybody being told that they would have to sit this one out because they don't meet the "dress code" is totally ridiculous. Something that is a product of the Salish see is also required. How about a boat? We might be lucky that we are not restricted because the boat you want to participate in is not built on the Salish Sea. The possibility of a payed member being restricted is over the top and way out of line.
                Greg James

Comment

Brian , Please let me know about your statement. If we arrive at the parade WITH one of your costume ,BUT no decorations on our boat , will i not be allow to participate as i think you saying ? Some of our boats ( Skagit's , Bellboys, etc ) are from the Salish Sea area if you want to get down to it, that in itself should be good enough as far as boat decorations go. Get it ? The boat is the decoration. I 'am really not trying to give you a bad time but just want to know what to expect if anything. Chuck

Comment

I think somebody suggested in a post a while back that this parade is great for people who own boats built in the area. You can't be much more of a participant in this parade than showing a boat built on the Salish Sea.
                    Greg James

Comment

I am really sorry about my previous post.

I clearly got carried away with my passion for this event. As Tim stated I was feeling a little frustrated with my inability to get anyone to agree on any part of the theme. So I went way over the top and tried to take control of something that was always supposed to be a simple fun day out on the water. For that I am truly sorry..

Greg you are absolutely right, the idea of restricting the participation of any paid member is way out of line.

Chuck, I know very well that most people in the club don't want to decorate their boats because it covers the beauty of our boats.. You are definitely not required to buy or wear our costumes unless you want to.

Again I am truly sorry for letting my passion an emotions override my common sense.
                      Brian Flaherty

Comment

Skipper will be there

I will have my Blue blazer with the Capt. Hat & Ray Bans and Sarah is up to purchase an Octopus shirt ( XL so she can wear it over what she has on) or she will wear her " Sea Princess " Survival suit if it's cold ? :boater1::Skipper1:
                        Attached Files
                        Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Brian, Please still put me down for 2 octopus sweatshirts that will be available for $10. I remember i think it was 2007 ( see photo ) that was our first year in the opening day parade under FGNW group ( thanks to Marty for getting us into the parade then ) and later on as NWCBC. For some of the members that don't know, opening day is not a parade were anyone can just show up as you have to be approved i believe to be in it. So this will be our 5th year. A little history there. Chuck
                          Attached Files

Comment

Brian, I can certainly understand your frustration and need to get things going. I experienced the same feelings last year with the Stehekin trip. Tim Mccrain has volunteered to help with that this year so maybe it won't be so bad. I bought a couple of really cool 24" shark hats for the occation. That feeling of frustration and angzyity must just come with the territory especially to us first timers. Your appology and explanation is well recieved. Keep up the good work it is greatly appeciated.
                            Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 16818
                              Brian, Please still put me down for 2 octopus sweatshirts that will be available for $10. I remember i think it was 2007 ( see photo ) that was our first year in the opening day parade under FGNW group ( thanks to Marty for getting us into the parade then ) and later on as NWCBC. For some of the members that don't know, opening day is not a parade were anyone can just show up as you have to be approved i believe to be in it. So this will be our 5th year. A little history there. Chuck
                              Chuck, I will make sure to set 2 aside for you. If you would like I can actually get a sweetshirt in a color that will match you boat colors as the legs are two sided, one is dark blue with white "sucker" spots and the other is orange.

You are correct in your history for our club and in the statement that we as a group have to be approved. My first attempt at registering this year was actually denied because I forgot to put our club name under company sponsor. I have actually been particapating in the opening day parade since I was a kid but with the ACBS group. Perhaps that where I get my inspiration and passion from as they have very strict rules about costumes and "dress codes" but that is how that club opperates and that is actually why some of our members are with us and not with them...

I lost sight of our group's more casual approach and desire to simply have fun running around in old boats...
                              Brian Flaherty

Comment

Working...
                              X