Blake Island--June 11 (!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake Island--June 11 (!)

It's hard to believe it's almost June and our next event is the Blake Island Picnic Cruise, Saturday, June 11.

With the generally lousy weather we've had this Spring, most everyone should be up for a sunny-day cruise to Blake Island, one of Puget Sound's genuine treasures...and easily reached from so many potential launch ramps (Seattle, Edmonds, Eagle Harbor/Winslow, Brownsville, Bremerton, Manchester, Kingston, Point Defiance and more.

We'll gather at the soft, sandy beach near the northwest corner of Blake Island, which is a Marine State Park with beautiful hiking trails, a small marina, Tillikum Village (salmon bakes for those coming by tourboat from Seattle), and anchor buoys for those who don't want to beach their boats.

Here's a link:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selec...nd&subject=all

Let's plan to rendezvous at Blake Island by noon on the 11th...or earlier for folks who can easily get there sooner. We'll have a picnic lunch on the beach, and some of us will hike the island's trails. (The most popular route takes you around the outer edge of the island...a circle tour through the woods, with lots of great views of the water.)

Nice weather is guaranteed!

We'll post additional details closer to the event....

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Camping anyone?

Brendan and I are planning on heading over on Friday morning and camping on the island.

Comment

I have always wanted to camp Blake island. Stayed a the marina a few weeks ago with some friends.

Here is a question from a newbee... do you need a certain coat on the bottom of your boat if you plan on beaching it? Also, can you beach over night or do you have to use the mooring buoys and raft in?

I hope this is a trip I can make! I don't have canvas so if the weather is rough i would be out.

Comment

We plan on bringing our newly acquired, salt water worthy, 1960 18' Glastron Bayflite.

After adding Mercury 90 power and a new windshield, this should be a great test of the hull that will ultimately be the recipient of the Merc 175 SportJet sitting on a pallet ready to go.

Launch plans are up in the air, but have discussed sling launching @ Edmonds with McCrain. What are your launch plans??
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by the wiz, post: 17405
          I have always wanted to camp Blake island. Stayed a the marina a few weeks ago with some friends.

Here is a question from a newbee... do you need a certain coat on the bottom of your boat if you plan on beaching it? Also, can you beach over night or do you have to use the mooring buoys and raft in?

I hope this is a trip I can make! I don't have canvas so if the weather is rough i would be out.
          Eric,

This is my first time staying at Blake, so others may have more info for you, but I can tell you that you can get a slip for $10.00 a night instead of tying up to a buoy. That's what I'll be doing.

Others can offer their opinions on beaching overnight, I'd rather not be stuck waiting for the tide.

Tim

Comment

Blake Island

Eric -

The tide will be quite low in the morning all weekend, then coming in during the day, so you could beach the boat overnight if you were willing to leave it high-and-dry until afternoon. Otherwise, the best bet is to use one of the mooring buoys, make a marina reservation, or use the clothesline method to anchor your boat out a ways from the high-tide beach...so it refloats sooner the next day.

(If you're unfamiliar with the clothesline method, just ask and we'll explain.)

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Blake Island cruise

I hope to make it. I'll bring a dinghy. Marty's comment about reservations...are there reservations for mooring buoys? Never heard of that..

I have a state parks annual permit.

See you there....rain or shine....

Tim
              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Blake Island Reservations

Tim -

Great to hear you're coming to Blake Island...

The marina always seems to overfill on weekends, so reservations are a good idea there, but no need to do that for mooring buoys, since they're always available on the Northwest side of Blake Island.

Of course, with an annual Parks permit, you're good to go.

- Marty

Comment

Washington State Park Passes/Permits

By the way, speaking of Blake Island and Washington State Park passes, you can buy Natural Investment passes now online (for use of all launch ramps at state parks and/or U.S. Fish & Wildlife locations), or moorage passes to stay overnight on your boat at any of the marine state parks such as Blake Island...but the new Discover Passes ($30, allowing vehicles to drive into any state park for the coming year) will apparently not be for sale until June 15...going into effect July 1.

Natural Investment passes (launch ramps) are $70 for the year; moorage passes are $3.50 per foot, measuring the length of your boat, with a minumum of $50 per year. And, as mentioned, Discover Passes to get your vehicle into parks will be $30 per year, or $10 per visit if you opt out of the annual-pass approach.

Here's a link to the State Parks website, which has all details on various passes, permits and parks:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selec...nd&subject=all

I heard from Ken Cook by e-mail, and he's planning to be at Blake Island on Saturday, June 11.

Who else is planning to attend?

Having gotten a slow start this year in terms of events (traded away my only functional trailer boat in March--great timing!), I'm really excited about getting back in the mix at Blake Island.

- Marty

Comment

Seattle launch options

I hope to attend and will try to find Ken on the Sat as well.
                    Good Lingcod fishing is within short reach of Blake Island no matter what way the wind blows,do have licenses in hand and all that legal stuff.:fishing:
                    Can`t fish in water deeper than 120` was the new rule that floored me!
                    We used to "Tow" our big Lings out to deeper water as we played tug o`war at our favorite shallow reef.Guess that is now a rulebreaker.
                    I like the Lower Duwamish freshwater launch at 1 st ave. and even if low tide ,you can easily launch.Wait until Higher tide to pull out and all should be well,do remember no dock at all so wet shoes and mud are the norm.
                    Takes 10-=15 minutres to troll down the river,then you get a flush as you return.Or pay to launch in saltwater at West Seattle`s Don Armeni Park or Shilshole.
                    The Locks and Ballard would be easy too if you can be patient and wait to be let out/in.
                    Anything to save a trailer.....
                    Considering the Overnight thing.......we`ll see if the kids Bite.
                    TimM
                    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

No moorage reservations at Blake Island

FYI - moorage and campsites are first-come-first-served at Blake, so if you're planning on spending the night it seems that arriving as early in the day as possible would be a good idea.

Brendan and I will be launching at Edmonds Fri morning, trying to squeeze all the life I can out of the old Holsclaw so the sling launch sounds good.

Tim

Comment

I have not heard of the clothesline method - I'll google it or maybe someone could show me.

A few questions:

Is it legal to leave your boat beached and camp?
                        I noticed the ranger doing several rounds a day when I was there last. As long as you pay for a site and probably the "mooring" fee will you get hassled??

Also, what is the harm to the boat? I have never beached the wiz but am not opposed to it. I don't have any special paint or coating that I heard might be in order if you plan on beaching.

Tim - are you planning on staying until Sunday or just Friday to Saturday?

I have never launched from west Seattle so I need to go scope out the overnight situation. (I read a sign over there that said no overnight parking)
                        and if i left at 10AM the tide would be about 2 hours past low from the looks of it. (i generally can launch at low and pull my trailer out fine but made the mistake once at shillshole trying to pull the boat out at low tide.) i needed new tires after that one!!! I pull my boat with my little saturn coupe.

I tend to have a lot of questions Thanks everyone!

Comment

test post for blake island thread.

this is a test - i am having trouble posting to this thread.
                          (sorry for this post but i am trying to figure out why i can not see my posts)

Comment

Eric,

We're planning on staying Friday and Saturday nights, I need the vacation! :computers1:

If you'd like to drive up to Edmonds and cruise down with us you're welcome to join us.

I'm working on Slo-mo to join us for the cruise down too.

Tim

Comment

Marty, Dan and i will be coming down Sat from Edmonds. Marty i get a kick out of that picture of the four boats ( two years ago ) on the beach. Three of them have new owners at this time and the fourth one is for sale. Best,Chuck
                              Attached Files
                              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
                              X