Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member checking in!

Hello all,

Now that my registration has been OK'd and I've checked some of the photo galleries, I may be the odd duck here. It seems the gorgeous boats you own are mostly fiberglas classics. <oops> Correct me if I'm wrong!

Anyway, I've been working on my old 1939 Monk Sedan Cruiser and was hoping to find a few kindred spirits when I came upon your club. Are you exclusively focused on fiberglas or are there any wooden boat sufferers about? Links to any clubs would be appreciated if you know of any. I found an Ed Monk club online but there haven't been any updates to their site since 2009!

Beautiful boats, everyone! A couple months ago, I gave away my 1958 Dorsett (with 1959 Evinrude Starflite 75) to a good friend - so I do have a little glass history!

Here's my wooden obsession since I'm here ---

Cheers, Capt. Dan
    Port Orchard
    Attached Files

Welcome Capt. Dan. You got it right. We are large in fiberglass classics but ain't no one in the club I know of who would turn up their nose at a classic Ed Monk cruiser. We just a bunch of guys and gals who love the classics -- fiberglass, wood, perhaps even steel or aluminum. Fero-cement? Sure, why not!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, Lootas! Hope everyone is enjoying this fine weather!

Comment

Welcome aboard Capt. Dan.

At the moment, yes, there is more glass then wood boats in the club. Or at least I think so.

We have several folks that are wood boaters, some both.

One of the charter members, Marty Loken of Island Boat Shop is one of those wood And glass guys.
        He can tell you the boats he has like the Luhrs, Lyman for starters.

Most of us understand stringers and frames.
        Might ask Marty about the Lylecraft that was just restored from the frame rails up too.
        One of our friends (Paul) has the 1947? Shain.
        Here is a picture of it leaving the Port Townsend Boat Haven.
        Attached Files
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Wow! Sweet Shain! Those sterns always impress me - so streamlined!

Here's the old Dorsett I gave up - kinda miss her now!
          Attached Files

Comment

Old wooden boats are great

We had an old wood boat when I was a kid , that's how I learned to scrape, Caulk and paint, it seemed to never end. When I was in Sea Scouts we had a 75' Ex Coast guard cutter and again I was scraping, caulking and painting. I love old wooden boats maybe some day I will own one but for now my budget says Fiberglass. Welcome to the club we always like having a mother ship along with us !!
            Attached Files
            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Capt Dan,

We're happy to have members with splinters! Our members appreciate wood boats too, some of our members will show up for a meet in 'glass one time and wood the next.

That's a gorgeous Monk you have there, what sweet lines. I hope I can see her in person some day!

Tim

Comment

Hey, thanks you guys! We all share a love for maintaining classics that would disappear if we didn't make an effort to keep them alive. There's something deeply satisfying about seeing these floating pieces of history still cruising about! What is it about older styles that look so cool??

Some of these modern tubs look like they were designed by George Jetson - what's with that?
                Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the club

Cap't Dan,

Welcome to the club! Like the others have said we are mostly a fiberglass group but we mostly just like to see people using and loving old boats, doesn't matter what the hull material is. (In some cases they don't even have to be old, just unique)

Some of us (like Marty Loken) have been around both wood and fiberglass our whole lives. I grew up in a family that was centered around wood boats (my father current has a 1953 Chris Craft Racing Runabout) My fiance and I just went with the PNW chapter of ACBS (Antique and Classic Boat Society) on a Western Snake river Odyssey where we had one of only 3 "plastic" boats amongst 8 vintage woodies...

Your monk will fit right in moored next to Jay's 40' Chris Craft "Tabu" (our usual "mothership")

Pics below:
                  1: Father's Chris Craft
                  2: Most of odyssey fleet
                  3: Odyssey fleet (Our boat is the red "plastic" one)
                  4: Rest of the fleet after day one
                  5: Navigating one of four 100' drop locks on the Snake river

Hope to see you on the water!!!
                  Attached Files
                  Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                  1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

1969 Bellboy

Hello,

This is Kevin and I just joined because i have enjoyed reading about all the classic boats on this site. I am local here in Edmonds Washington and have a 1969 Bellboy.

My dad bought the Bellboy the way he wanted it from the manufacture and I still have all the orgineral paperowk. The Bellboy has been garaged most of its life. It is for the most part still original and she just needs some love and work to bring her glory back.

I am looking forward to looking at all the pictures and ideas to look forward to restoring this boat. It has alot of memories for me growing up with my dad and I look forward with continuing the memories with my children.

Thanks

Kevin

Comment

wrong thread - oops

Comment

Oh, wait - I get it! I thought I had responded to the wrong thead so edited it to explain, but it looks like obrienk267 misposted! Oh well! Welcome new guy!(so am I) Hope we both figure out this forum posting stuff! Har!

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 18050
                          Cap't Dan,

Welcome to the club! Like the others have said we are mostly a fiberglass group but we mostly just like to see people using and loving old boats, doesn't matter what the hull material is. (In some cases they don't even have to be old, just unique)

Some of us (like Marty Loken) have been around both wood and fiberglass our whole lives. I grew up in a family that was centered around wood boats (my father current has a 1953 Chris Craft Racing Runabout) My fiance and I just went with the PNW chapter of ACBS (Antique and Classic Boat Society) on a Western Snake river Odyssey where we had one of only 3 "plastic" boats amongst 8 vintage woodies...

Your monk will fit right in moored next to Jay's 40' Chris Craft "Tabu" (our usual "mothership")

Pics below:
                          1: Father's Chris Craft
                          2: Most of odyssey fleet
                          3: Odyssey fleet (Our boat is the red "plastic" one)
                          4: Rest of the fleet after day one
                          5: Navigating one of four 100' drop locks on the Snake river

Hope to see you on the water!!!
                          Very nice Bflaherty! I love those old speed boats! It would be great to follow along as "mothership" but I'd have a bit of trouble joining a river cruise. My old tub weighs 16 tons (hard to transport) - so I'll have to wait a for meet on Lake Union or something on local salt!

Will watch the schedule!

Comment

I've been testing forum options and settings - disregard test blatherings - blah blah! Screwy1

Comment

Working...
                            X