Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome plating

Hi all:
    Here is an issue that we must deal with at one time or another: where to get some classic chrome pieces that have pitted over the years, re-plated with fresh shiny chrome.
    I just acquired a great light for the BellBoy bow that I have been looking for. It is the well-known 11" long finned bow light with blue and red lenses. It has a handle on the front as well. There is some pitting in the chrome and it will need to be re-done. The question is: where? I know about Specialty Plating in Vancouver and also Graves Plating in Florence, AL. I think Graves is pretty expensive. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks,

Bob
    Attached Files

Nice light Bob!! I'm quite fond of it myself.

Comment

Bob,....I had all the hardware on my Mansfield done by Speciality in Vancouver. 52 years old and badly pitted. Came out great, shipping was no problem, and I thought the cost was much less than I could find localy.
      Steve
      Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
      1955 Mansfield 17' express
      1960 Rynell Jetabout
      2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

Comment

Chrome Shops

Bob -

We use Specialty Plating, and they're fine. Not triple-plated, show-quality chrome...but perfectly serviceable and far less expensive than the alternatives.

One thing to remember is that with chrome plating, it's a classic "garbage in, garbage out" situation. If you give a shop like Specialty something that's badly pitted, it'll likely come back with nicely chromed pits...especially if it's pot metal. We try to do as much prep work as possible on old hardware, sanding/filing the pits away so that they're chroming a smooth surface.

Great bowlight--I've always loved that one.

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Hi Marty:
          When you say "prep work", how far would you sand the pits down to yourself before shipping the fixture to Specialty? What grit paper would you start with? I have not seen this light as it is still in transit. I am just going on the E-bay photos for now but I can clearly see that the light needs to be re-plated. Would you expect to get a good job from Specialty if the prep work resulted in a really smooth surface? Any idea what they might charge if I did the prep work myself? I assume this light is pot metal.
          Thanks,
          Bob

Comment

Pot Metal

Bob
            Check out muggyweld.com for information on repairing pot metal. Unfortunatly repairing the part is not the problem. The hardest part is first removing all the original chrome and nickel. For the most part this is not something that is going to be done by the average person at home. Also, most chrome shops are not interested in doing just this for you. Some good shops however will if you explain you need this done so you can repair the part and return it to them for rechroming.
            The next problem with doing these parts is the complexity of some of them. The light you are getting is an easy one due to its shape and lack of detail design shapes such as small grooves etc. Doing a more complex shaped part (like mine shown) is a lot of work requiring special tools and a lot of patience.
            Restoring old pot metal parts is not a quick or cheap process as anyone that has done any old vehicle restoration can tell you. I will be talking to the chrome shop I use in the next week or so and showing them some parts I'd like restored. I haven't talked to them before about pot metal but I'll pass on any information I can later. Barry
            Attached Files

Comment

Barry -
              You instrument cluster will look fantastic when it is restored with fresh chrome! I just got an E-mail back from Glen at Specialty who quoted me $100 for doing my light. I think that is quite reasonable so I will be sending the light to him when it arrives from the seller on E-bay.
              Thanks, as always, for your thoughts...

Best,
              Bob

Comment

Of course there are loads of automotive rechromers in Hemmings but there's a shop in Fresno that does primarily motorcycle parts who has an excellent reputation for good work and at fair prices: http://www.meclec.com/services.html

Comment

Hey Barry,
                  I'd really like to know what you find out on your gauge housings, I have the same set of three on my Sabrecraft and would like to get them redone.

Tim

Comment

Tim
                    I don't know if the shop I'm going to talk to can do them or not but I'm going to persue the issue until I find an answer so I'll post anything I find. I have a third section as well but it is broken. I don't know if I'll have the wind up clock fixed or the movement replaced with an updated one yet. The faces of both the clock and barometer are real nice so I want them in the center of my 404 Sedan dash. I picked up the old Glasspar with the Homelite last week and it has a Bearcat tachometer that I will use also. Just need one more with the twin motors. LOL
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I now have all the chrome websites bookmarked for future reference. You never know out here in the land of the "woody" (Clayton, NY) if I might acquire an old Chris- Craft or Century mahogany inboard to restore. All that bright work would have to be re-done somewhere!

Best,

Bob

Comment

Barry,
                        My instruments are toast, so I'll be replacing them with modern units and modifying the chrome housings to accept the new gauges. It took a while to figure out which ones will fit but it should work out well. Fortunately my boat's color scheme is pretty simple (red, white, chrome) so it is pretty easy to find things that coordinate. I'm planning on using the white Teleflex gauges.

Tim

Comment

Working with a potential new chromer for some of our products. I'm told they specialize in pot metal restoration and was quoted $125 for a section of the gauge housings shown above. Considering the shape etc I think that is a good price and sent one section out to see what they can do. Will do a follow up when it comes back. Barry

Comment

For whatever it's worth, I checked with the outfit I mentioned previously and they are willing to chrome parts other than motorcycle items, but they don't deal with the public at large. I have several bike parts there right now and will be sending them stuff from my boat shortly.

Comment

While living on the east coast I started using Advanced Plating out of TN I believe. the work is outstanding but can take a little time, not sure about cost comparison, it show quality stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X