South Sound Exploration - Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Sound Exploration - Update

The South Sound Exploration event will take place over the weekend of July 23-24, as scheduled, with some boats coming just for Saturday and others overnighting Saturday evening at Jarrell's Cove Marine State Park, Harstine Island.

Harstine Island is on Case Inlet, north of Olympia, east of Shelton and southwest of Tacoma. Here are some of good launch-ramp possibilities:

* JOEMMA BEACH STATE PARK, on the southwest side of Key Peninsula, which has lots of dock space. (Drive to Gig Harbor, then Purdy, and turn west and head down Key Peninsula.) To get to Jarrell's Cove from Joemma Beach, head north up Case Inlet, and follow the Harstine Island shore, turning west into Pickering Passage. See chart.

* FAIR HARBOR MARINA, near Grapeview (south of Allyn...reached via Gorst in the Bremerton-Port Orchard area). There is a paved county launch ramp alongside the marina, with free trailer parking across the road. No launch-ramp float, but you're launching into calm water in a protected back bay, so no worries about wave action or dramatic currents as you clamber aboard your boat from the shore.) Fair Harbor Marina is inside Reach Island, in Case Inlet north of Harstine; to get to Jarrell's Cove just head south in Case Inlet, turning west into Pickering Passage. See chart.

* OLYMPIA's SWANTOWN MARINA is a good option for members coming from the south (Portland, etc). Nice big paved ramp, lots of parking. To get to Jarrell's Cove, you'll run north through Budd Inlet to reach the south tip of Harstine Island, then head north around either side of Harstine. When leaving downtown Olympia, pay attention to the low speed limit until you're completely clear of town--the local harbor police always seem to be on guard, strictly enforcing the rules. If you have a typical planing hull, the run time from downtown Olympia to Jarrell's Cove will be approximately one to 1-1/2 hours. See chart.

* NARROWS MARINA, Day Island, just south of the Narrows Bridge in Tacoma. The marina has a paved ramp, fuel dock, store...and from there you'll have a beautiful, longer cruise to Jarrell's Cove. See chart for the many route options, but the most basic plan would involve running south past the east end of Fox Island, then in-between McNeil Island and Anderson Island (past scenic Eagle Island), then through Drayton Passage and north up Case Inlet to the tip of Harstine Island...and around the point, down Pickering Passage to Jarrell's Cove. Figure maybe 2-3 hours for a leisurely run from Narrows Marina, depending on hull speed, side trips, etc.

* POINT DEFIANCE LAUNCH RAMP, next to the Rushton-Vashon ferry landing, is east of Point Defiance proper. This great seven-lane facility is operated by the Tacoma Parks Department; very well organized, with long-term trailer parking available up the hill. You can launch/retrieve at the lowest tides here, but the only possible downside for those going to South Sound is that you have to run through the Tacoma Narrows right after leaving the ramp, and waters there can occasionally be rough due to currents meeting wind-wave action. Plan, very approximately, on a 3-hour run to Jarrell's Cove from Point Defiance, depending on speed and side trips, following the course suggested above for those departing from nearby Day Island. See chart.

Other potential launch-ramp locations include Boston Harbor, Allyn, and a small ramp next to the west end of the Harstine Island Bridge, in Pickering Passage.

For those arriving at Jarrell's Cove by noon on Saturday, the general suggestion is to participate in an afternoon-long run from Jarrell's Cove south through Pickering Passage, west to Shelton through scenic Hammersly Inlet (and back to Pickering Passage), then south past Hope Island Marine State Park in Squaxin Passage, northeast through Dana Passage past the southern tip of Harstine Island, the north through Case Inlet with a possible stop at McMicken Island Marina State Park (midway up the Harstine Island shore)...and back to Jarrell's Cove via the northern section of Pickering Passage. This will give members a good look at the varied features of South Sound, including scenic islands, narrow back-bay channels, several Marine State Parks, etc.

Others who arrive later in the day at Jarrell's Cove (perhaps because they launched in Tacoma and enjoyed a leisurely exploration on their way to Harstine Island), might want to simply relax in the Jarrell's Cove area Saturday afternoon. There are two mooring floats at Jarrell's Cove Marine State Park, along with mooring buoys just offshore. The park offers restrooms with showers, onshore tent-and-RV campsites, trails through the woods, back bays to explore as the tide comes in, and a store and commercial marina on the opposite shore, including a fuel dock and guest moorage.

Personally, we will not be able to join in the 'round-Harstine run during the day on Saturday, since we'll be cruising at 8 knots in our 1959 Luhrs 27-footer, towing a heavy 14-foot skiff...and other members will need to run at 15-20 knots to make the all-afternoon run from Jarrell's Cove south, around the end of the island and back. (We're actually leaving for South Sound this coming Monday morning, July 18, so we'll be out of touch from then on...leisurely cruising southbound and planning to reach Jarrell's Cove by 4 p.m. on Saturday the 23rd. We'll probably overnight Friday evening near a friend's place north of Reach Island, checking out a Saturday noon-to-3 p.m. rendezvous of the Traditional Small Craft Association that's taking place in a small cove opposite the north end of Reach Island, organized by friends Tom and Suzanne Regan of Grapeview Point Boat Works. If any other NWCBC members wish to cross-pollinate with owners of classic rowing and sailing craft--and maybe a few small outboard boats--feel free to join in the fun early Saturday afternoon. Reach Island is north of Jarrell's Cove in Case Inlet, and the TSCA rendezvous takes place just north of the Fair Harbor Marina launch ramp, described above.) We'll hang out from about noon to 3 p.m. there, then head south to join members of NWCBC at Jarrell's Cove.

Saturday evening we expect most members will gather together at Jarrell's Cove Marine State Park--either in the shore-side tent-camping area next to the northernmost park mooring float, or perhaps on the larger mooring float at the south end of the park--to share in an informal, bring-whatever-you-want-to-eat dinner. (Last year when we did South Sound, Lauryn and Chris went crabbing during the day, and shared delicious Dungeness crab Saturday evening, but most of us were "on our own" in terms of menu planning. In other words, if a potluck spontaneously springs to life, that's great, but we don't need to plan anything special.)

If you're eager (or able) to sleep aboard your boat, and you can stay over until Sunday, that's great. For ultimate quiet, the best bet is the offshore mooring buoys, since overnighting at the state-park floats can sometimes involve neighbors staying up late just down the dock, or getting up in the pre-dawn darkness to walk their dogs, etc. But, generally speaking, the park is dead-quiet all night no matter where you sleep. If you don't want to camp overnight aboard your boat, there always seem to be available tent campsites ashore. (Or, finally, if you want to join in the fun but your boat isn't ready for the trip, you can drive onto Harstine Island by bridge and overnight in the upland campground in your RV, or in a tent.)

Please be aware of the new Washington State Park fee structure, which went into effect July 1. If you pay for overnight moorage or an on-land campsite you're fine, by my understanding, but if you enter any State Park without a campsite reservation you have to either pay a $10 day-use fee or have one of the annual Discover Passes. (See the Washington State Parks website for the fine print on fees.)

So, most members will probably want to launch Saturday between 8:30-10:30 a.m., depending on launch-ramp location, if they hope to get to Jarrell's Cove by noon for the 'round-island Saturday cruise. Options for Saturday include joining other members in the all-afternoon cruise described above; joining us for the rendezvous with members of the Traditional Small Craft Association between noon and 3 p.m. near the north end of Reach Island...or just hanging out in Jarrell's Cove Saturday afternoon. (If you'd like to see the TSCA boats and meet some of their owners--a nice, laid-back group--just look for our lapstrake 27-foot Luhrs hardtop anchored at the entrance to a small cove just west of Reach Island's northern end).

I'll post a final note before we shove off Monday morning, but, again, we'll be completely out of touch--(ON VACATION--what a concept!)--from this Monday until the weekend of the 23rd-24th, when we see the rest of you Saturday around 4 p.m. at Jarrell's Cove. Following the Jarrell's Cove weekend, we'll head back home, arriving in Mystery Bay by Tuesday evening, the 26th.

Finally, for those who overnight Saturday the 23rd at Jarrell's Cove, we can share in a leisurely exploration of other sights in South Sound during much of the day on Sunday...perhaps visiting McMicken Island Marine State Park, Eagle Island Marine State Park, Penrose Point Marine State Park (all great destinations), or other spots in South Sound.

Below are some shots from last summer's South Sound gathering at Jarrell's Cove. The last photo shows our '59 Luhrs sea skiff...so you know what to look for if you're trying to find us Saturday noon-to-3 p.m. in small cove near the north end of Reach Island.

We'll hope to see many of you over the weekend of the 23rd-24th...

- Marty and Mo
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

South Sound Weather Forecast

...Oh, I forgot to mention (above) that our weather is finally supposed to look like July starting this coming week, and the specific forecast for Saturday the 23rd is "nothing but bright sun" all day.

Sunday the 24th looks problematic at the moment, but then we supposedly will return to nice, sunny weather starting the next day. (Of course, we're still more than a week away, but the trend looks promising starting early this coming week.)

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, Could you post the chart you mention. Thanks,Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Marty, if you ever get tired of boat building/repairing, you could make a good living, I feel sure, as a photographer. Your pictures are superb! While we can't make the SoSound this year (again), I'm going to spend the next 12 months screwing up my courage to drag my boat down to Tacoma and make the trip next year!
        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Chart

Chuck -

I'll see if I can come up with something to post, but what I meant to say was "Check (Your) Chart"...(!)

- Marty

Comment

"O".....Ok ! I did check my chart. Best,Chuck

Comment

South Sound Chart...

Okay, here's a crude version of a South Sound chart.

Harstine Island is just below (behind) the word "Carr," as in Carr Inlet, with Jarrell's Cove Marine State Park in a small bay at the north-center end of Harstine.

The Saturday-cruise idea would be to go down Pickering Passage on the west side of Harstine, then into Hammersly Inlet toward Shelton (and back out), then continue to the south end of Harstine, passing Hope Island Marine State Park before going up Carr Inlet--maybe with a stop at little McMicken Island Marine State Park--on the way back to Jarrell's Cove. This route would give everybody a good look at South Sound's many charms, including quiet back bays and inlets, pristine islands, beautiful state parks, etc.

Chuck has made every one of our previous South Sound boat-club trips, so he'll lead the noon-to-whenever Saturday afternoon exploration while we hang back with our 8-knot cruiser. (See event details above, in first posting on the subject.)

- Marty
              Attached Files

Comment

South Sound Cruise

I'm going to try to make this one....
                McSkagit
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Yeah!! I finally have a Saturday off on a NWCBC weekend. Last outing I was able to attend was 2009 Alder Lake.
                  The launching ramp at the Harstene Bridge is a really good ramp, even down to a minus tide. They put in new docks a couple of years ago. Parking can be a problem on weekends, but they do have an overflow parking area a short distance from the ramp on Pickering RD. This ramp is the closest to Jarrell's Cove if you need to take your car or RV to the campground.
                  Low tide (use "Walkers Landing" in your tide book) is at 6:30am at +2.5ft, so no problem at this ramp.
                  If you are using the ramp at Fair Harbor, remember that the ramp is not part of the marina. It's a good idea to get permission to use the dock if you need to from the marina owners. They have been touchy about this in the past.
                  Gas is available in the area at Jarrell's Cove Marina, Zittle's Marina at Johnson's Point, and at Fair Harbor Marina.
                  Be extra careful of the shoal that runs out from Squaxin Island towards Hope Island. There are lots of bent props here every summer. We used to get about 2-3 per week when I worked at a boatyard in the area. Also remember that all of Squaxin Island is privately owned by the Squaxin Island Tribe and is not open to the public.
                  I lived in the area for 21 years, 14 of that on Harstene Island. I am very familiar with the area if any of you have questions.
                  See you on Sat., I am bringing my 1962 Stiletto
                  Jack Leslie
                  1948 Sande launch
                  1962 Stiletto

Comment

South Sound

So far our plans are to leave early Friday and get to Jerrel Cove in the afternoon. Is his early enough to get a camp spot or do we need to leave Thursday? Drop the camper and launch the boat and I will take the boat and Robyn will take the truck and trailer back to camp. That's our plans for now.

Our cell # is 541-270-6887 and our VHF radio should be on channel 69.

See you all soon.

Tom n Robyn

Comment

Great Weather Forecast!

Just checked AccuWeather again since we're shoving off soon for our week-long meander toward South Sound, and the July 23-24 weekend is supposed to be nothing but sun and 75-80 degrees (!) In fact, we're finally about to get SUMMER in general, with sun most days through the end of July.

Glad to hear you might make it, Tim.

Many thanks for the valuable update on the ramp near the bridge to Harstine Island, Jack...and congrats on getting time off for the event. (The last time
                      I was at that ramp, it seemed more primitive...and there wasn't a float to tie up to, so it's obviously been upgraded since then.)

Tom and Robyn - Glad you're coming, too, but I can't answer your question about when you need to get to Jarrell's Cove State Park in order to secure a campsite. I suspect arriving Friday afternoon will be fine, but that's just a guess. (With State Parks instituting the new fee structure, I'm imagining that park business might be slightly down this summer...but with better weather just ahead folks might, on the other hand, be flooding to all state parks.) I'd go online, check the Washington State Parks website and the section on Jarrell's Cove in particular, and see if there's a number you might be able to call with your question.

So, we're leaving tomorrow a.m. and will be completely out of touch until we see other NWCBC members Saturday the 23rd around 3-4 p.m. at Jarrell's Cove. (No cell phone--if I take the (#*!*#!!) thing on this cruise I won't really be on vacation.)

Chuck Carey will take over updates and other communications from now until the event, since he'll be coordinating the Saturday cruise around Harstine Island...or wherever folks want to go. (We're cruising at only 8 knots, so we won't be joining in that segment of the weekend's fun.)

See everyone at Jarrell's Cove! Can't wait....

- Marty and Mo
                      Attached Files

Comment

Cheryl and I will be there for Saturday during the day. Breaking out the Crabinator (Seafair Sunliner) for this run. Plan on dropping the crab pots in the AM and hopefully eating and sharing them in the PM. We will put in at the Harstine Island bridge launch. See ya all Saturday!:GoTeam1:
                        Gordon
                        Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Here's a UPDATE on the Saturday Event. Let see if we all can get to Jarrell's Cove by 12 Noon. We will be using Channel 69 on the VHF. If i missed your name , please make a posting of it. Below there are some great pictures of the harbour. Also the chart might help. Check at the beginning of this posting of Marty's article about the boat ramps in the area. Chuck

From Marty posting:
                          Harstine Island is just below (behind) the word "Carr," as in Carr Inlet, with Jarrell's Cove Marine State Park in a small bay at the north-center end of Harstine.

The Saturday-cruise idea would be to go down Pickering Passage on the west side of Harstine, then into Hammersly Inlet toward Shelton (and back out), then continue to the south end of Harstine, passing Hope Island Marine State Park before going up Carr Inlet--maybe with a stop at little McMicken Island Marine State Park--on the way back to Jarrell's Cove. This route would give everybody a good look at South Sound's many charms, including quiet back bays and inlets, pristine islands, beautiful state parks, etc.

So far we have,

John & Claire from Chatsworth, CA

Gordon & Cheryle

Marty & Mo

Tom & Robyn

Jack Leslie

Tim Jones

Ingvar - Swedster
                          Attached Files

Comment

Anyone going down to South Sound from the northend that want to caravan on Sat early ? Chuck

Comment

So Sound adventure

Anyone planning on Launching from Allen Ramp on Sat.
                              If so what time .?
                              let me know and and I will meet U
                              Ingvar - Swedster 206-434-9482.
                              Ingvar (Swedster) Carlson

Comment

Working...
                              X