1966 Evinrude Sport 16

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Evinrude Sport 16

Hello, My name is Kay and I live in Bloomington, Indiana. I don't have much knowledge of boats other than they float in water. However, my husband has recently inherited the family boat. It has been in storage since about 1984. It is a 1966(?) Evinrude Sport 16 model# 204502R, serial# W-O-12716. The Evinrude 80hp motor model# 806830, serial# E02504. It has its original trailer, fold-back windshield, and 6 seats. As you may have guess, we really not sure what we have here or what to do about it. Please help as it is becoming a yard ornament! How much should we sell it for? Should we get it up and running and what would that cost? Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks so very much!

Hi Kay. Nice looking boat. My son has one like it and it has a very nice ride. There are going to be several people in the club with various opinions. I'll venture a few of mine. First, I'd try to find someone who know something about old outboard motors in your area and have him check it out. There is no way of putting a price on a motor that isn't running and no way or even making a good guess what it would cost to get it up and running. In my own case, a few years ago I bought a running 1965 Mercury 650 motor for $400. It ran for a short time and quit. A shop charged me over $2,500 to fix it (rebuild) and it broke down several times right after I got it back. Each time it was something new. The boat's value might be easier to determine. It looks pretty good in the picture. If it doesn't have major damage, like a rotten transom (the back of the boat that holds the outboard) it could be worth anywhere from maybe $300 to $600 out on the west coast. Of course, that is presuming the interior is sound with decent looking upholstery and working controls to the motor. Don't know what the market is like in the Midwest. Condition is everything in trailers. How bad is the rust? Are the wheel bearings good? Tire sidewalls cracked or little tread on them? If it were mine and the motor ran okay, the boat was solid and the trailer sound, I'd offer the package for around $1,000 to $1,500. Now let's see if any others in the club would dare to venture what it could bring. Some of them have bought and sold many times as many boats as I have.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Thank you for your input!

Comment

Hi Kay,

A very nice package you have there in your possession.It appears to have been in dry storage by the looks of it. I'm afraid I have more questions than answers for you. With the family history is this not something you and your husband would be interested in pursuing,boating? Jerry's estimate on sale price is pretty accurate and in today's economy $1000.00 / $1500.00 doesn't last long and the estimate is for a running boat ,imo. If that motor turns over I doubt it would take much to get it running. They're pretty basic engines and there people here who will answer most any questions/ problems you might encounter. Another good resource site is Fiberglassics.com with many knowledgeable people and may have members close to you who may give you a hand getting her back on the water or have suggestions on reputable shops in your area to assist you. A running boat will bring more $$$$ if that is what you end up deciding. Well that's my $.02, Best of luck.

Melanie
        1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Hi Kay,

Jerry and Melanie both make some really good points. I agree that your best route is to get it running, whether you sell it or decide to keep it. In the eyes of most buyers, a clean, shiny and running boat is a boat; one that isn't those things is a project. Projects sell for much less and a lot fewer buyers are looking for them. The boat looks like it's in good shape, the trailer looks nice and that original top with the Evinrude logo has to be kinda rare. If you can give it a good cleaning and show that it runs well, that's a pretty attractive package for both old boat nuts and the other, more normal people.

I agree with Jerry that you need to locate, if at all possible, someone in your area who works on vintage engines. Most shops aren't going to jump with joy at the prospect of working on your motor. Someone who appreciates them is going to be your best resource for parts and repair.

Once she's polished up and detailed, you'll have a nice package to sell or you may just fall in love with her and decide to keep her.

Tim

Comment

Kay ,
            Cool Evinrude ,love the logo on the top which would raise interest of the those inclined to run non-Black motors.
            Spending $ to sell is risky though not selling because of needed work goes nowhere.Really hard to get every dollar back unless a buyer makes purchase contingent on a repair or a running motor.
            A good resource for info is at Gullwing,net which has lots of history and such.
            A guy was here the other day who bought one for $100 ,though with a bad motor.He spent $100 on the seats.....and more on an Inboard engine package.
            Jerry`s pricing is pretty good "for a runner" as Melanie stated,otherwise $400-$700 would possibly get it into another`s yard.
            A boat builder could make two boats with the amt of Fibeglass in that hull,and would go out of business making them to last that long.
            The snubby nose will make the boat not the best one to own/run in all weather and would be the only knock I see besides the older motor.
            Really easy to point out the flaws,so try to offer what it does feature like the logo or any other interior pcs some may be drawn to.
            Goodluck,
            TimM
            Seattle
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
            X