Hey everyone Seafair owner here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone Seafair owner here

Hi my name is Alan Frazier, I live in Edmonds, WA and have had a 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan for a couple years now but have not worked on it much yet. This is my second boat but my first boat never made it to the water so I'm brand new to boating.

I have always liked classic boats and when I saw this on Craigslist with a new floor and transom I jumped on it. My first boat had a rotten floor that was freshly painted over which is why it is no more Anyway I recently moved it from its storage spot on Camano Island to my place in Edmonds so I can potentially work on it now.

The good news is that there's a new marine plywood floor. The bad news is it's layed over rotten stringers :nono1:

As you can see there is a lot of work ahead.

The seat cushions and all the missing trim are in storage.

Now normally a project like this wouldn't faze me but I have so many others going on I'm not sure if this is too much to take on right now. A nice little runabout would be easier with less trim, upholstery etc. but I would like to be able to go fishing on the Sound without running to the nearest beach if some weather rolls in. Any words of advice from the experts out there? Thanks for reading and I hope to meet some of you fellow classic boat lovers one day.
    Alan F.
    1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan
    1964 Evinrude Sportfour 60

Hey never, nice boat. Any boat falls into the category of never ending project. That's half the fun, bringing them back. Just keep pecking away at it.

There are several Seafair's in the club that you can make patterns for the berth cushions. Tim Mattson has a Seafair, plus he can do the upholstry. A one stop shop.

I'm down in Central Oregon now, just moved a few months ago from the Seattle area. Here's my ride, look familiar?
    Attached Files
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Hey Steve thanks for the encouragement! That boat does look vaguely familiar but you must have a better camera or something...yeah that's gotta be it I have the berth cushions which are in decent shape but the comfort leaves something to be desired so they will get redone for sure.
      Alan F.

Comment

Alan,
        Nice find ,keep up the enthusiasm but try to pencil out some costs and do it when it can be completed in a few weeks of focused work or stages.
        Also realize there wasn`t much under the floors for structure on the early versions,a few slats of Doug Fir was under mine,a bigger one centered so it gets weird at the rear if trying to put a drain in,it ends up being off-centered.
        I foamed mine but left the middle voids open ,but it still will get new stringers someday.
        The floor isn`t that wide(4`) and the stringers are only maybe 4-5` tall,outer ones are mere 1`` slats on their sides.Splicing them into new ones thru the cabin area would stiffen it and make it stronger too.
        Bottom of the door area is usually leaky in corners if floors were already weak.
        I`d raise it up and do side boxes with flotation and better sloped drainage.A sump forward of the well where you can see and reach it instead of the rear corners would be a luxury I `ll do when budget allows.
        The Golden State Group has a couple Seafairs that were really gone thru and lots of good info shared in pics.Steve`s boat came from down there I believe...alot nicer under the floors than our NW hulls.
        TimM
        Seahurst
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Hi Tim,

Planning is not something I'm good at when it comes to these things. I have tried and tried but am always way off on the time and money scales. It's good to know that doing the stringers wouldn't be that bad. Now I have to decide if I want to keep the Seafair or go with a smaller glassic. Do you have any input on the ride/safety of a 14' Skagit or similar compared to a Seafair in light chop?

Flotation will be a part of any boat I do especially after reading about Rons blue Seafair almost sinking to the bottom of SF bay as well as, ehem, a certain yellow boat which I won't go into any further
          Alan F.

Comment

Alan,
            Get a 5 gallon pail of Vinylester resin,some glass and thickeners and the wood and prepare for surgery.
            A cheap Dewalt sander (w/vac port) with a filter in a normal Shop Vac will speed up and keep the prep work from killing you.
            The Seafair would outride most any boat out there,especially anything shorter.......unless it is a G-3 of course.
            A sander on the wood will bring it back to it`s glory and keep you liking the task.
            For the Cabin,you can cut the boards for cushions and then paint them until you can afford materials to re-cover and foam.......
            I`ll trade you a nice painted 14`Glasspar Marathon for the Seafair,already new inside with just seats and a small motor to add. Flotation optional....
            TimM
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Oh boy that's tempting. Is that yours on Craigslist? If so it looks great and you would probably have second thoughts after seeing my Seafair. It's a nice day to look at boats...:Skipper1:
              Alan F.

Comment

Working...
              X