Steering: antique ropes vs. modern cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: antique ropes vs. modern cable

Just read somewhere that when you convert an older boat that originally had rope steering to a modern cable system that you won't get as much swing (maneuverability) on the engines.

This is due to the different method of connecting the steering to the engine, and while I can understand the theory behind I can't help but wonder if this couldn't be compensated for with some clever backyard engineering.

Some people claim that other than not having the advantage of the non-feedback of modern systems that you're better off with a fully reconditioned original rope system. Comments welcomed! Thanks

The people who told you that "Rope" (cable & pully) - is better than a push - pull cable set up, must have sniffed too much polyester resin. Cable & pully works pretty good, especially on lower HP motors and boats that go speeds up to 30MPH. They are considered OK for motors up to 50hp. You can use them on higher HP motors, but it isn't the best way to go. Cable & pully uses tension springs that allow the motor to "chatter" at high speeds. Direct cable provides a positive link between the the helm and the motor. Less effort is required to keep the boat headed in a given direction - and it is easier to fight "torque -steer". As for the turning ability of direct cable set ups - unless you like going in tiny circles all day, the motor will easily turn sharp enough to steer the boat through any course you put to it. If it doesn't, the steering isn't set up right.

Comment

I hear what you're saying but the point they were trying to make is that early engines don't readily connect to modern cables...the old engines require some sort of tube to be attached in order for them to turn fully in both directions.

I'm not trying to argue, just want to be perfectly clear...or clearer than Nixon anyway!

Comment

Steering

Bob....Here is the set up. I converted my old Merc. for better overall performance. The "kit" is on the shelf at Boaters World, or West Marine. Easy to install, as long as you are careful about the correct cable length. I would recomend it !!! Steve
        Attached Files
        Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
        1955 Mansfield 17' express
        1960 Rynell Jetabout
        2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

Comment

Working...
        X