Convert 61 evinrude to short shaft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert 61 evinrude to short shaft

I have a 61 Evinrude Lark III 40hp long shaft, which I bought for my project before I realized there was a difference in shaft lengths. I have been unable to find the parts to convert it. So I have posted it on CL a few times hoping to find a buyer for it, then I can go buy a short shaft. Well this week a guy writes and says he has a short shaft with powerhead that turns over, and he got it in a bunch of engines he bought, so he'll sell it to me for $40 and then I can convert my motor and keep it. So I'm probably going to go have a look at it today or tomorrow. I do not know much about boat motors. Any advice as to what I should be looking for? He said it's an early 60s Johnson, which should fit the same.

I have a '60 Lark II long shaft...this engine was new for this year and I believe shares many elements with the '61 but apparently they went thru a number of revisions later on. I suggest starting with a parts book and seeing what fits what across the years and models.

Comment

To convert - remember that you will need a different shift rod (unless electric-shift) and water pump tubes as well.

Comment

To do the same thing with my 68 Lark I found I could cut the water tubes 5" shorter. Have to change the drive shaft but with electric shift the wires are ok. Barry

Comment

Ok, I don't know what I'm doing, but I decided to go ahead and buy this short shaft motor anyway. It looks to be pretty complete, so I might just go ahead and sell the Lark and get this one running to use on the boat. It's a Johnson Super Seahorse 40hp, and it says 'super quiet' on the lower housing. The tags with the serial number are quite clear, can anyone use those to tell me what year it is exactly?

Comment

The model number is like the DNA for identification...see if you can make a rubbing off of it with a thin slip of paper and a pencil held sideways and then either google it or post it here. Pix would help too.

Comment

The model number is RKL-27A. Here are some pictures of it. I also included a picture of this other little motor I got for free, which if anyone knows what year that is I'd like to know. I just thought it looked cool.
              Attached Files

Comment

So, from what I've found on the web it sounds like this motor is a 1965. Does anyone have info on if I can use parts off this to convert my 61 Lark III to a short shaft?

Comment

Convert to short shaft ??

That 40 is an electric shift. The vertical drive shaft will probably fit your other motor. You can cut the shift shaft to shorten it. Same on the water tube which is copper. Need to notch the end of the shift shaft where the coupling is.

Recommend a new shaft seal in the lower unit and check the spline on the shaft before installing it to make sure there are no burrs to cut the seal.

Be sure to debur everything before assembly.

My guess on the 40 pictured is early to mid 60's.

McSkagit.
                  Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Thanks, I guess I just need to dig in and get to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X