Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboards and salt water

Hi All:
    I am considering a cruise that would immerse my 39 year old Merc 1350 into salt water for the first time. I am a little concerned about this as the motor was made at a time when there was no extra protection available for salt corrosion. Are there any specific precautions that can be taken to thoroughly rinse the salt off and out of these outboards? Have any of you noticed increased corrosion when you motor in salt water as opposed to fresh?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Attached Files

Hi Bob.
    I have a big barrel that I pour Saltaway? into and run the motor for a few minutes. It comes from one of the local Marine chain store.

I have also heard that on smaller motors, one could take Baking Soda mixed up real good in a pail and warm water, dump it into a barrel. This was from an Old Salt guy. I have never tried that one.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Hi Bob. My prior boat had a 90hp Yamaha that I used all the time on Salt. In fact I don't think I ever put it in fresh water, other than the hose and ear muffs at home to flush it out. It was an early nineties vintage.

I always let it run on the hose for at least fifteen minutes. The trailer had brakes with a flush connection, so I flushed that out as well. Plus I always washed the trailer and boat down real good. The trailer was the I-beam type, no tubes. That way I could always keep an eye out for rust starting to form, and touch up right away.

So flush and wash everything down well, and you should be okay. Have a great cruise.

My Homelite gets flushed in a plastic barrel. I'll give the Salt Away a try after I hit the salt.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Saltaway

Hey guys,
        I saw a couple of older motors that had been used in Salt and always flushed after use but had been dosed with Saltaway which destroyed the internal Zinc (on a certain brand of motor that had an internal Zinc).The Saltaway made the Zinc go Zincaway which clogged the telltale repeatedly until it clogged totally.Motor needed a head removal to clean the blockage.
        The stuff is good if used from the get-go but motors used mostly in Salt can on occasion let loose the stored up crud.
        Use the Saltaway but watch the telltale for signs of wavering.
        I`d Fluid Film the motor frame before getting it in the salt too.Tri-flow will work too as it is another non-solvant corrosion stopper.Spray it EVERYWHERE but under the flywheel and down the carbs.Blow it with low pressure air if you want it to go in the corners and not look so wet.
        Put a small Zinc on the Transom bracket and cav plate if you plan on doing the salt much too.
        Tim M
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Older outboards in salt water

The above are all good tips.

The older motors, especially the Mercs had a lot of carbon steel in them because (so I was told) their primary market was lakes (Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.) Flushing the motor after running in salt water is a must.

If you are doing service such as changing water pump impellers, use anti-sieze compound on all the fasteners. Use anti-sieze on everything you remove and reinstall. Rebuilding a vintage outboard, install stainless helicoils now rather than the hot-wrench later......

McSkagit
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Great. I learned a lot of protective suggestions. Thanks very much.
            Bob

Comment

Working...
            X