Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on Dorsett

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and I am trying to find some info on a Dorsett. My title says the hull number is 155A1887 and that the length is 15' 9". But there is no year or model name listed.

I'm giving the boat to a disabled vet who wants to restore it to like new condition. I'm trying to find more information for him. He doesn't use internet so this is a labor of love. Thanks for whatever information you can give me.

Hi and Welcome to the group.

There is some information over on Fiberglassics.com but if you just post a few pictures, I am sure folks can tell you quite a bit about it.

So, :TakePicture1::TakePicture1: Please.:Skipper1:
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Dorsett info needed

Hi Helmar,
      Thanks for your reply. I haven't figured out how to upload images to this message. Sorry. I've been out to the Glassics site and didn't find useful info. Their page that shows the various models implies from the description that my Dorsett is a Catalina 17 based on the specs, but my boat is only 15'9" and that's a Belmont 15, but the specs for the Belmont don't fit my boat.

Comment

Hi Riverlady

Might try this link but I see the one at the bottom is missing.
        Its the one that was pretty easy but the links went missing.
        [ame="http://www.classicboatclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44"]Forum How-To's - Northwest Classic Boat Club Forum[/ame]

When you post your reply, scroll down and you should see an area that says, "Manage Attachments" which will open up another window.
        From there, you can click on your Browse and select your image...Only thing would be the Pixel size. Trying to explain how to make images smaller in size is a nightmare. I use 800 x 600 or, Email ready sizes..Then Upload them.

If you have them at Photobucket, then instructions are available for that too.

Might just try to Cut and Paste (can't remember if that was working or not after we did the Youtube attachment capability..)

In those years, they started measureing them funny, not down the center of the boat. So, it could be the Catalina maybe ??
        Here is my Catalina outboard that is the 15.9

Try the picture thing....
        Some of the boys are still pretty much snowed in so response might be delayed a tad opcorn1:

Helmar
        Attached Files
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Is it a cabin style or a runabout ? If you could see if you can get a picture of it ,that would help a lot. There are quite a few Dorsett members on this site. Does it look like one of these's ? With the wide stripe on the hull ? What colour ? Chuck
          Attached Files
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Do you know the year ?

Like Chuck says : Does it have a cabin - could be a Monterey - Good thing giving it to a Vet to restore let him know about our forum and there's lots of people who have parts and free advice ! :cool1:
            Attached Files
            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Rick, Being you purchase your Catalina down in Sac, what brand was your trailer. I think i might have have the same one under my Catalina. Did you have to do anything for how the hull fit between the fenders? ...a little tight with only 2" to spare and does it have bunks ? Looks like it. Chuck
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

By the late 50's, many manufacturers measured the hull along the gunnel, rather than actual centerline length. I suspect that your Dorsett is a "17"
                Greg

Edit: just read Helmar's whole post...duh

Comment

dorsett info

go to my classified for two homelite for sale, the group helped me out on posting pictures it worked great. your boat is more than likely a catalina builders are given a foot either way i found most to be short by a foot from the designation. If you get a photo up I can help you more.

Comment

Working...
                  X