Flipping Boats in Your Canopy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flipping Boats in Your Canopy

Many of us who work on boats under Costco shelters are grateful for this time of year, when we finally get some warmer, drier days that make restoration work easier. While we have two boat projects inside the shop, three others are currently being worked on outside, under canopies.

While Costco (and other) shelters are thought to be pretty wimpy affairs, subject to blowing away in winter storms, I wanted to share a tip on how you can use your cheap canopy to help flip a project boat upside down to work on the bottom, or rightside up when you're done with the bottom work.

This week I've been working on a Reinell Jetflite that Doug Griffith owned until recently. (It now belongs to Bill Anderson of Iowa, but that's another story.) In any case, after removing the deck mold, replacing the transom, stringers and cockpit floor, we needed to flip the hull upside down to repair and paint the bottom.

How to rotate the boat inside the seemingly fragile canopy?

After staring at the situation, we decided that the canopy's tubular-steel framework could actually support the boat--but only if we tied a half-inch line across the inside of the canopy from one side to the other, securing the line at joints where the side legs meet the roof poles. By securing the line tightly across at that point, we turned the roof structure into an amazingly strong truss that could support quite a lot of weight.....well, at least the weight of a 15-foot runabout.

After buttressing strength of the canopy frame, we suspended a one-ton Harbor Freight chainfall (one of the best things they sell) from the canopy's peak, attaching the hoist to a 3/4-inch bolt we ran through the hull's drain hole...made more secure with large washers inside and out.

The bow was lifted by a crude wooden gantry we put together last year--designed to just barely fit inside a Costco canopy. (We could have used another of the shelter's own tubular frames to support the second chainfall over the bow, but the gantry was handy...and we could drag it into just the right position for the lift. To keep the gantry from tipping, we tied it off to my Jeep on the far end.)

So, all I had to do was lift the hull straight up about 3-1/2 feet, then roll it over by hand (swiveling at the transom and bow eye), and then lower the chainfalls, dropping the hull gently onto styrofoam blocks with old boat cushions on top. The whole operation was done solo inside of 30 minutes, including setup.

No harm to the shelter, and certainly no harm to the boat.

Hopefully, the attached photos--which show turning the boat back rightside-up after primering the bottom--help explain the setup and general process.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, that is some pretty catty rigging going on there! Its sort of fun thinking of ways to move the boats without destroying the backs. I built a wood gantry following your pics last year. I use that thing all the time. Add an engine hoist for the other end of your lift and it takes most of the work out of it. Thanks for sharing. -Ross
    Ross Henson

Comment

As much work you guys do on hulls why not take a couple of engine stands to make a rotiserie. I use them on car frames. The thing I like best about this set up is that I can rotate the frame/boat hull at comfortable posititions to do the sanding/repairs, no bending over.
      1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Melanie...

You're right, it would be nice to have a rotisserie, but we mostly work on cruisers that are too heavy, awkward and unbalanced to roll like hot dogs on a spit. (What I'd really like, if we're allowed to dream, is a hydraulic boat cradle buried in the floor, so that you could quickly raise a hull overhead for inspection or bottom repairs...sort of like the lifts in auto-repair shops.)

Oh, well, at least we get lots of exercise doing things the old-fashioned way.

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

See you on the flipside...

After reading Marty's post about using a cheap shelter as a superstructure for some classic boat acrobatics, I couldn't resist giving it a whirl. My son and/or farm tractor were not around to help as in the past, and it was a great weekend to sling some epoxy on the hull mods to the GlastronJet conversion. The results of the levitation experiment would put David Copperfield to shame, but probably far from OSHA approved...amaze your neighbors and friends!!

Thanks for the idea Marty, kid tested-mother approved!!
          Attached Files

Comment

capital idea!

Marty, much obliged for the outstanding concept. Have been contemplating an assembly with the fortitude to counterbalance a hull for rejuvenation.

Comment

So how do we rig one of these up so I can rotate my 404? VeryBigSmile
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
              X