Potholes Aug 20-22 (E.Wash.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potholes Aug 20-22 (E.Wash.)

I just made reservations for Aug 20-22 at Mardon Resort. They have moorage, camping, RV's, and rooms; they still have all that available for that weekend (as of yesterday). Average temps in July are mid 80's. Evidently since the lake is shallow and man-made it warms up so is nice for swimming, fishing, water-skiing, etc, and I'll be dragging my Glasspar Seafair over there. We will be taking our 4yr old, so this would be a kid-friendly outing as well. Anybody interested in tagging along?

From their website: Mardon Resort, on the sunny shores of Potholes Reservoir, is your recreational destination that provides an RV Park, Motel, Luxury Park Cottages, Tent Sites, Marina, Tackle & Gift Shop and a Bar and Grill - all in a rural setting. The lake is famous for trophy bass, walleye and rainbow trout as well as providing a perfect destination for water enthusiasts. Guides and Tours are available. Potholes Reservoir is a 28,000 acre man-made lake contained by O’Sullivan Dam, which is the longest earthen filled dam in the United States.

www.mardonresort.com
    :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
    (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Great place to stay / camp. Like all the lakes east of the mountains watch out for the wind... I've seen it get so bad boats wound up on top of the docks!!! Also seen 50k ski boats sink to gunals from wind waves overwhelming the bildge pumps!!!
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

potholes

August is Rattlesnake weather, don't forget stove pipes for you legs. We always go in March/April when it's still to cold for them. :Scared2:
      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Sean. I am very interested and plan on making reservations. Looking forward to it. Richard.

Comment

Richard (Woodenboatfogey), That's great. My family will be there. We rented a room. When you call them, be sure to tell them that you have a classic boat, and to put your slip space close to mine. Do you have young kids? My 4 yr old will be enjoying the playground...

Comment

Thanks for the tips, about waves and snakes... I'm installing a new bilge pump before the spring season, and we are basically going to be at the playground, beach, and on the water, so hopefully snake issues will be at a minimum!

Comment

Sean,
              It can also be flat calm with the usual mid-afternoon light breeze. Beautiful area, used to spend a lot of time camping, fishing and boating the Seep lakes just below O'sullivan dam. I've seen the winds that can come up there but it's not the norm. Good idea to pay close attention to the weather of course. Would like to join you but it's a little too far off for me to definately plan at this point.
              Kent & Diane
              '58 Westerner

Comment

Kent, you two would be welcome to come. The plan is to stick pretty close to the resort (3 yr old has limited patience with boating), so I'm not that worried about being too far away to get back if there is wind. But I'll pay attention to the weather forecast.

Comment

Sean,

See the post in the other thread about the seep lakes just SE of the resort. There are unlimited acres of room for that little tyke to get into all kinds of devilment.

He will sleep long and hard after a few hours out there.

Comment

What thread is that? I couldn't find it, can you direct me?

Comment

Boating E. WA, Idaho, Montana

Comment

The Seep lakes offer awesome "Lahontan" Rainbow Trout.
                        These little guys are hungry and a 6 inch fish will try to swim to the far side of the Lake.
                        Pink meated like Salmon ,I`ve seen some over 5 lbs there.
                        Heart lake and the Upper and Lower Hampton seemed to have the best fishing and it`s possible to camp right at water`s edge with the whole lake to yourself on occasion.
                        The Basalt cliffs that drop straight down on some sides of the lakes are amazing and picturesque.
                        Take some Power bait and you will get some easy fish that will let you know they are there.
                        Ticks are out there too,our buddie`s Dog got a few after going there so longsocks if you walk anywhere.
                        TimM
                        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                        SeaRay 175BR
                        Hi-Laker lapline
                        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Okay, So I have to cancel this weekend at Potholes. I've learned a few lessons about 4 hours in a hot car with a 4yr old, and it's just too far away for us for a weekend. Sorry for the impact this may have on anybody that was thinking of going. Maybe next year...

Comment

Working...
                          X