green to this, but not wet behind the ears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green to this, but not wet behind the ears

since owning had a few classics boats and cars (still have) i thought it might be nice to check out others with these passions. last summer i sold my redfisher (if you don't know what that might be, clue: built in texas). just acquired a crosett and have a few questions. the elderly lady i purchased it from. well to her it was just an old boat. honestly i bought it for the motor (rebuilt) and later found out what i had. now i'am wanting to try and and bring it close to it's original glory. need a small fishing boat anyway, if you can justify an 18' closed bow with a 160hp inboard/outboard as a small fishing boat. i can, have a tolerant wife. i have been trying to trace the hull number, but as of yet haven't fould anything that can trace back that far. any sugestions?:catchfish1:

numbers

While I haven`t heard of that make,I`ve found numbers in boats when fate sorta intervened and either sunlight ,a flashlight or even a car`s headlights pulling up just as I was looking in the right area revealed numbers hifdden in various areas.
    Today`s boats need it in two places ,either stamped ,engraved or laminated.After 1967 seems to be when they became a sure thing.
    Places to look are the back of dash , inside edges of gunnels , even in the middle of the bow area (basically looked like a taped rectangle with Dorsett Hin number plain as day) or along the transom seam.
    Go "hunting" at Night ,armed with lights both in/outside.
    A pencil etching on pc of paper (along with bill of sale)will get you a title as it will become a legitimate document the DOL people live for.
    Now if no numbers ever were on it,then you could ,in theory,make some up and test the system.....tell them you`re "considering a free boat with these numbers....are they good or?"
    If they happen to not be in use ,then they may just write it up and you engrave or stamp it and enjoy.
    Some end up as Homemade or unk. which won`t excite the purist but will get it legal to operate and sell.
    Others will have even more experience than me ,so watch for other`s to add.....
    TM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
    X