Boating E. WA, Idaho, Montana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boating E. WA, Idaho, Montana

I was web browsing this morning and stumbled on a great little website, BOATING THE INLAND NORTHWEST'S LAKES & RIVERS GUIDE, which describes every imaginable body of water you can enjoy in Eastern Washington, Northern Idaho and Northwestern Montana.

Lakes and rivers are categorized for the type of boat: small kayaks or canoes only; small outboard boats, larger runabouts, deep-keeled sailboats, etc. Launch ramps, fuel docks, campsites and other features are clearly noted, and there are lots of photos and maps.

Here's a link to the website:

http://www.boatingtheinlandnw.com/in...LE_OF_CONTENTS

Included, of course, is coverage of the Potholes, discussed in the adjoining string of postings.

(The photo shows a small, enchanting campsite island on Bonnie Lake, not far from Cheney in Eastern Washington. Fortunately or unfortunately, the lake is only accessible by kayak, canoe or lightweight rowboat with outboard motor, since you have to row/paddle down a length of stream from the launch ramp before getting into the lake.)

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

We enjoy the eastern Washington lakes in May, or Sept. Not so crowded, and temps in the 75-85 range. We like Sun Lakes, but our favorite is Banks Lake. We will be at Steamboat Rock State Park ( Banks Lake ) again this year from Sept 13th to the 22nd. Site #83. Stop by if you are in the area. Lots of isolated beaches on Banks to find a spot to spend the day.
    Jack Leslie
    1948 Sande launch
    1962 Stiletto

Comment

Marty, Wow what a great web sight. As you know I have spent a lot of time camping at Priest Lake Idaho (hide the ho) since 1947. My grandfather built a cabin at Indian Creek back in the 30's. I learned how to water ski behind a 1930's something CrisCraft runabout in the mid 50's in Cavanaugh Bay. Priest is gods country as far as I'm conserned. I try to get up there every Labor Day week-end primarily because the tourist presure on the lake is way down and the ACBS guys have a sizeable get together at Hills Resort. It is also a good time to go up the thorofare to Upper Priest. Several years ago I took a trip up there to see the wild life and I had a encounter with a moose. I anchered about 50 feet off the shore at the first camp ground after going through the Thorofare because I was told that there was a black bear and her two cubs frequenting that area and I wanted to get some pictures. I noticed a large bull moose about a half mile up the lake in the water feeding. I didn't pay to much attention to him and I settled down with a book. About an hour later I felt a bump and I turned around to look at the bow and there was this Moose looking at me. I yelled at him but he just thought that was an invite to come around to the side of the boat and say hello. His rack was coming real close to ripping my canvase off and he was looking like he was getting ready to come aboard so I wacked him on the nose with my paddle and he backed off. This gave me a chance to pull my ancher and make my getaway. The moose walked out of the lake into the camp area and disappeared. Black bears and moose are fairly prevalent all aroud the lake but I don't need to observe them up that close. I wish I could have got a picture but I really didn't think of it at the time because I was really in kind of a panic and I had a rather lengthy cruz back to camp so I sat there or a while to calm down and change my pants. I might try to get back up to Priest again this year or next year. It's a long commute (800 mi. round trip) but well worth it. I wouldn't recommend going up to Upper Priest alone that time of the year unless you have a lot of convidence in your engine because you will probably be the only one up there and if you get into trouble it is highly unlikely that there is going to be anybody to come to the rescue.
      Greg James

Comment

Sister Lakes - Canal, Heart, & Windmill Lakes.

For those of you headed to Mardon in August. Get up before dawn and take a short drive for the morning bite, Bank fishing at its finest. :fishing:

By ten it's time to head back for breakfast and a trolling on the big lake. ::boater1:

Or if you prefer head out after an early dinner and catch the evening bite. :fishing:

I can say no more, and you didn't hear it from me. :BigWink1:
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Boating in Oregon

While trying to find out the size of Prineville reservoir I found a similar site for Oregon.
          http://www.boatescape.com/searchc.asp

Tom

Comment

During my college years I had 14' sportsman with a 115 Johnson and later during Grad school at Gonzaga, a 21' Bayliner with a 260 I/0 in it. Long since sold it was the perfect boat with a small bunk forward and enough power to cruise an honest 25 Knots.

During those years while doing summer school (Second qtr. of materials science, and electrical fundamentals mostly AC circuit analysis using Laplace transforms to solve the differential equations at OSU). I took the Sportsman to Summer School and we had a skiing day at the Reservoir in Eugene. Shallow lake, but wind got up a pretty good chop in the afternoon. (Fun to see my girl class mates in bathing suits.)

A few years later, while up at Gonzaga for summer school I took the Bayliner to Idaho. Idaho Boat fee was based on age and value of boat as I recall. Therefore the Boat house at the end of Priest was full of antique boats like Chriscrafts, etc. Apparently, this has change to a base fee plus length of $2.00. You get 60 days of use if your boat is registered in another state.

Lake Coeur d'Alene in Coeur d'Alene is a big lake that I toured with the Bayliner. Good parks on the lake.

Priest Lake had amazingly clear water and during the hot summer day was swimming pool warm down to about 10 feet. Going into the forest was not recommended as it was consumed by large mosquitoes (Horse flies???)

Down side is Idaho's boating laws are quite complex.
            Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
            16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
            17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Working...
            X