Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Union / Ship Canal Cruise

Hi All,

April 14th is our first "official" on-the-water event of the year. This is a slow, casual cruise and always a good time.

I'm planning on launching from Magnuson Park at 10:00 AM, we'll cruise around the point and into Union Bay, through the Montlake cut into Portage Bay and then on to Lake Union, then through the Fremont Cut into Salmon Bay where we'll turn around and cruise back. If you'd like to launch somewhere else and meet up with the main group, let me know and we'll keep an eye out for ya. This is a no-wake cruise with the exception of our time in Lake Washington, with lots of time for conversation and sightseeing.

In the past we've tied up at Ivar's and had lunch there, but we can certainly look at other options if someone has a suggestion. I know the water at Ivar's is often not as calm as we'd like when leaving our babys unattended. I looked into having lunch at Chinook's, but to tie up there will cost us the daily moorage rate of 85 cents a foot; I was told by the harbormaster's office that there is no free transient moorage available. We can tie up free at the south Lake Union public dock and eat at Duke's or Chandler's, those who would prefer to bring their lunch could hang out on the dock.

A couple of reminders:

1) We'll be in federally controlled waters which means Coast Guard jurisdiction; be sure your boat is fully equipped with all CG required equipment. Last year on this cruise two of our members had their boats boarded and inspected by the CG. Here's a link that explains what is involved in a vessel safety check - http://www.safetyseal.net/what_is_vsc.asp
    Here's a link to what to expect if your vessel is boarded - http://www.boatingmag.com/boatingsaf...ights-flashing

2) Please take a moment to review our Safety and Events policy, which is a sticky post at the top of this forum.

I don't know about you, but I haven't had the boat out yet this year and am really looking forward to getting her wet!

Hope you can make it,

Tim

Anyone interested?

Comment

slowly I say yes

With a freshly tuned motor, and a new higher pitched prop--- I will go. But 6 knots for hours on end reminds me of my youth-- kayaking and sailing. How about speeding it up some and start at the south end of the Lake? Go for the gusto!! Then have a hot warm lunch inside. :eating1:
      1956 Enduracraft Monterey
      1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
      1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

I like Ivars, and it's a good spot. Just bring lots of fenders!... So the family and I are planing on coming; of course I have a 3yr old, (so who knows what crisis may erupt in the morning). We will probably be bringing a friend (with a playmate for our son). I live in Ballard, so I'll probably be launching from 14th St dock in Ballard, meet you all in Salmon bay, cruising with you over to Ivar's for lunch, and then heading back, (the 3yr old's schedule). Roughly what time do you think you will be turning around in Salmon bay? And I have one request, can we adjust the schedule so lunch at Ivars is at noon or slightly before? (The 3yr old can't go for late lunches)...
        :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
        (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
        1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Lowell, we can definitely tear up the lake some before heading into no-wake land. Are you thinking of launching at Coulon?

Sean, eating before noon shouldn't be a problem. I don't know what time exactly we'll be in Salmon Bay, but it should be early enough that the little one won't be off his schedule. :Scared1: My cell number is in the club directory, you can give me a call when you launch and see where we are, if you're approaching critical mass then maybe you head out and meet us at Ivar's on our way in instead of waiting for us to hit Salmon Bay and turn around.

Tim

Comment

April 14

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 21744
            Hi All,

April 14th is our first "official" on-the-water event of the year. This is a slow, casual cruise and always a good time.

I'm planning on launching from Magnuson Park at 10:00 AM, we'll cruise around the point and into Union Bay, through the Montlake cut into Portage Bay and then on to Lake Union, then through the Fremont Cut into Salmon Bay where we'll turn around and cruise back. If you'd like to launch somewhere else and meet up with the main group, let me know and we'll keep an eye out for ya. This is a no-wake cruise with the exception of our time in Lake Washington, with lots of time for conversation and sightseeing.

In the past we've tied up at Ivar's and had lunch there, but we can certainly look at other options if someone has a suggestion. I know the water at Ivar's is often not as calm as we'd like when leaving our babys unattended. I looked into having lunch at Chinook's, but to tie up there will cost us the daily moorage rate of 85 cents a foot; I was told by the harbormaster's office that there is no free transient moorage available. We can tie up free at the south Lake Union public dock and eat at Duke's or Chandler's, those who would prefer to bring their lunch could hang out on the dock.

A couple of reminders:

1) We'll be in federally controlled waters which means Coast Guard jurisdiction; be sure your boat is fully equipped with all CG required equipment. Last year on this cruise two of our members had their boats boarded and inspected by the CG. Here's a link that explains what is involved in a vessel safety check - http://www.safetyseal.net/what_is_vsc.asp
            Here's a link to what to expect if your vessel is boarded - http://www.boatingmag.com/boatingsaf...ights-flashing

2) Please take a moment to review our Safety and Events policy, which is a sticky post at the top of this forum.

I don't know about you, but I haven't had the boat out yet this year and am really looking forward to getting her wet!

Hope you can make it,

Tim
            Hello Captains
            I had discussions with the Chief Harbor Master at Fishermans Wharf 3 weeks ago.
            In front of Chinooks are Free guests docks . Just let him know how many boats and if we fill all these up , he will assign other moorage for our group . This area has 3 restuarants Chinooks, Bay Cafe , and the
            Highlander. Free moorage for up to 4 hr. - calm water. Tim & Greg have the contact info for the Harbor Master.

Ingvar - Swedster.
            Ingvar (Swedster) Carlson

Comment

Thanks for the info Ingvar, it's much appreciated. I just spoke with Ray and he confirmed that there is free moorage available for us on the float in front of the restaurant and if we need more just call him and he'll set us up. Evidently the person I spoke with was thinking of a different Fisherman's Terminal in Ballard ...

So, let's plan on eating at Chinooks at about noon or so.

I will most likely launch early and run around the lake a little and then be back at Magnuson at 10:00 to meet up with anyone launching there.

Tim

Comment

Chinooks?

I might just have to break away from the honey do's for a bowl of Oyster stew. YUMMM StirPot
                Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Coulon Park in Renton

Yes I was thinking of launching from Coulon Park, It would make a great run. I'm not fond of driving in Seattle this ramp is easy to get to and just off 405. Takes me less time to get to Coulon and the drive is more relaxing then driving through Seattle.
                  1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                  1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                  1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Okay, so is Fisherman's wharf different than Fisherman's terminal in Magnolia? (Technically Fisherman's terminal accross the Ballard bridge is not in Ballard). Anyway, I guess I'm okay with any resturant. Can someone provide the address of the resturant, so I can Goggle map it to know exactly what we are talking about?

Comment

Sean, We are probably talking about the same place. I have heard Fishermans Wharf called Fishermens Terminal alot. It is located at the southwest corner of the Ballard Bridge. The resteraunt is at the southwest corner of the terminal/wharf. Hope to see you there.
                      Greg James

Comment

Tim, I'm going to try to be at Magnuson early also. I always like to get on the water early because the water conditions are best then and I like to open up my engine the first day out and just make sure theres no problems. Lowell,
                        I would join you at Coulon but that ramp charges $15 to launch if you are not a Renton resident. That was 3 years ago so I would guess it's even more now. It is a great run from Renton so it is tempting but I'll go with Magnuson. See you on the water.
                        Greg James

Comment

We're trying real hard!!!

We are trying real hard to get the boat ready... With all the interior work this winter motor prep kept getting post poned and this weekend I got a really sweet Easter present from the boat gods (see photos)...

While warming the oil we noticed a strange "hissing" sound so we ran a compression test and discovered one cylinder was at 0 compression... Turns out the motor had the original heads and the unleaded gasoline has finally burned through the exhaust valve seat and procceeded to scorch the valve spring and valve guide... So we pulled both heads made arrangements with the machine shop this week, and returned to interior work.

Then while searching in the garage for replacement hinges we found a freshly rebuilt pair of IDENTICAL heads that were given to my father in exchange for motor work many years ago... Old boat poeple are like horders with old boat parts and its AWESOME!!! My father stock piling old parts just saved me at least $200 worth of shop time and parts, not to mention the delay waiting for the shop to get the work done...

We will be there! *provided we can get everything back together in time...
                          Attached Files
                          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Tim, I hope to be back from Pullman Wa. in time to ready my Blue Cruiser. The boat yard has a moved a 40ft. Cris-Craft that blocks my boat from getting out. I have been working on finishing my Tolly so I haven't been out for a long time. Hope to make it Saturday morning from Jensens. Drop by and check on your way through Portage Bay. Possible tour if someone is there. I don't know if anyone will be around as they normally don't work on the weekend. Andy

Comment

Okay, I'm going to be coming the 'other' way, with two 3yr olds onboard.

So I have several questions:
                              1) What time do you predict you will be leaving lake union for the freemont canal toward ballard?
                              2) What time do you predict you will be arriving at Chinooks for Lunch.
                              3) What time do you predict you will be leaving Chinooks after lunch.
                              4) So what's the approximate head count?

Chinook's At Salmon Bay?
                              1900 West Nickerson St # 103
                              Seattle, WA 98119
                              (206) 283-4665

They have moorage for diners; they don't take reservations but we can call them from the water to put a name on the list...

Comment

Working...
                              X