Non-NWCBC Event May 19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-NWCBC Event May 19

I've been involved with a local-area group, the Port Townsend Pocket Yachters, which focuses on traditional smaller rowing/sailing boats...typically pocket-cruising sailboats that tend to be in the 14- to 23-foot range. Our group has a lot in common with the Traditional Small Craft Association, a nationwide club with regional groups, including the active Puget Sound chapter.

Anyhow, we're organizing a boat show for interesting smaller rowing, sailing and pedal-powered boats, to be held Saturday, May 19 at the Northwest Maritime Center in Port Townsend.

If any NWCBC members have boats that might fit into the small rowing/sailing category, you're encouraged to participate in our free boat show.

Here's a link to an article in today's Port Townsend Leader newspaper, describing our first-ever POCKET YACHT PALOOZA:

http://ptleader.com/main.asp?Section...rticleID=31326

Also, if you know of anyone else who might have an interesing smaller rowing/sailing boat they'd consider displaying, please have them e-mail me at Marty@islandboatshop.com

We'll be displaying a little 13'-6" Port Madison Pram, designed in 1955 by the late Bill Garden...a sloop-rigged daysailer I just finished painting and varnishing. (Photos attached show two other Port Madison Prams; ours will hit the water for the first time this Saturday.)

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Since Saturdays are our day to drag stuff to Kingston, we might swing over if time permits. :GoodJob:
    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Sounds fun!

If this show is a "go" next year we should have a Pelican to bring. Can't come this year as Celeste is getting a hip replacement on the 15th. It'll be nice to have her more mobile!! Have fun and take some photos!

We did some camping out of our one sailable Pelican. That boat is rough, but all there--along with ample rot! #2 is almost ready for paint and #3 started to sink at launch (needs a new bottom). Paul, Jay and I have had fun working on them!

Comment

Pocket Yacht Palooza

Ken -

Pelicans, of course, fit right into the 'pocket yacht' or 'pocket cruiser' category, so please bring yours to the Palooza next year.

Finally sailed our 13'-6" Port Madison Pram, which we'll display at the Pocket Yacht Palooza. It's much like a Pelican, and I plan to sleep aboard (!) during a three-day cruise that begins May 24.

- Marty
        Attached Files

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, I like this picture the best. Look out for "Ken" the ferry boat that is ! Best,Chuck
          Attached Files
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I know this place....This is right out in front of Port Townsends wooden boat center

And look, Ole has his life jacket on this time too opcorn1:
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 22231
              Ken -

Pelicans, of course, fit right into the 'pocket yacht' or 'pocket cruiser' category, so please bring yours to the Palooza next year.

Finally sailed our 13'-6" Port Madison Pram, which we'll display at the Pocket Yacht Palooza. It's much like a Pelican, and I plan to sleep aboard (!) during a three-day cruise that begins May 24.

- Marty
              Looks great!!! Appears to sail nicely too... Although, I think you might wake up to a couple fellas in white coats waiting for you if you are really going to sleep aboard a 13'6" open top sailboat for three days...:Runaway1:
              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Sweet looking boat!

That's a pretty sailer (with a pretty sailor?). I've heard of folks sleeping aboard their Pelicans--that appeals to me. Marty, your boat is spacious in comparison. Have fun!

Comment

Not gonna make it

Well we'll miss this one too. The Kingston Post Office is closed on Saturdays, so I am going over on Friday this week to fill out the paperwork for my new mailbox.
                  I will put up the mailbox, meet with the contractor for my shop and do some bushwhacking. The picture is last October.
                  Guess how tall the weeds are now. :Scared1:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Jack, Where the House ? Second request , please call. 425-742-4319 Chuck
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Chuck

right here behind my back.

I'll call you this Morning!
                      Attached Files

Comment

'Palooza' is Today...

Here's a link to the event we're putting on today in Port Townsend at the Northwest Maritime Center:

http://www.pocketyachters.com/Port_T...t_Palooza.html

Should be a ton of fun...

If you're thinking of coming, you'll need to get there early (by 11 am) since some downtown streets will be closed to traffic for the annual Rhododendron Grand Parade that starts at 1 pm. (If you hit Port Townsend after about 11 am, we suggest parking south of the main part of town and bicycling to the Maritime Center, or taking the bus from the park-and-ride lot next to Safeway...or just walking a bunch of blocks from wherever you find street parking).

Needless to say, next year's Pocket Yacht Palooza will NOT take place during the annual Rhody Festival. (We were forced into this date by our association with the Small Craft Skills Academy, a week-long event that starts early tomorrow, and which was committed to this time period without realizing how disruptive Rhody Week is in downtown PT.)

Anyhow, if any members can make it, we'd love to see you at the Palooza.

- Marty

Comment

Pocket Yacht Palooza

Zoanna and Jubal are coming over this morning and we're looking for something to do or somewhere to go. May buzz over in the Saratogan and check out the activities.

McSkagit
                          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Pocket Yacht Palooza photos

Here are some shots I uploaded on the Pocket Yachters website yesterday, showing a few of the 50+ boats we had at the first-ever Pocket Yacht Palooza.

Great fun, nice boats!

http://www.pocketyachters.com/Port_T...t_Palooza.html

- Marty

Comment

Great bunch of pics Marty. Got up Saturday morning and said "whatever happened to my plan to get over there and take in the show?" Then I went back to doing what I do best, NOTHING! Next year is going to be different!
                              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
                              X