Johnson evinrude cables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson evinrude cables

Does someone still make the cables that control the throttle and shift (forward and reverse), its for my 59 Reinell with a 59 Johnson super sea horse 35. The attachment point (at the motor) on the shift cable broke today and I need to find a replacement cable. there is an entire assembly on craigslist right now but I only need the one cable and do not want to spend $50-60 if just the cable is available.

what is the official name for this part (shift cable?) I am looking for

thanks,

When I installed the Homelite a couple months ago, I got new cables from Teleflex. They have a universal cable that works on the Homelites. They also have new cables for OMC and Mercury. I forget the exact cost, but it was around $80 for both cables. These are really nice quality cables.

A lot of dealers carry these. They are called Engine Control Cables. If you go to the Teleflex website, they give instructions on how to measure for the proper length. In your case, where you already have cables, just take a measurement from them.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

thanks Steve, I will check into your suggestion, now that i Know the proper name to refer to them as. (was not finding anything related to shift cables in my searches tonight

Comment

type 33 c

Ken + Steve,
        Those are also known as type 33 c cables.Also realize when shifting the controls,the prop must be turning or motor running as the gears won`t mesh if shifted while not rotating the drive shaft.
        Always look for why something broke ,whether user error or just a plain old plastic part.If the cable was too short,it may have gotten stressed while turning one direction.Shoot for a 16``-24`` loop in front of the motor so the loops have a stress -free life.
        It is common for a motor to use one cable a foot longer than the other if the shifting or throttle is not on the same side.
        TM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

I got the cable discounted and out of the boat to look at it. It appears the cable itself is fine, just the end piece that screws on broke at the end, its made of plastic and looks like it could be original.

If someone has an old cable with an end like I have (and wants to get ride if it) please let me know. hate to buy a complete set of cables for just a broken end.

As for the starter, It is a Auto Lite MDW 4103M - 12V. Not sure how to bench test it so I think I will just buy a replacement or get this one rebuilt.

Comment

Ken, the connector that is broke in your picture does not come with the cables. At least they didn't with mine. That probably is ordered separately. You can check online to confirm.

As far as testing the starter, you can do that with jumper cables and a battery. Hang onto the starter though, it may want to walk away. If it's good, as soon as you put power to it, it will spin up. If not, time to go shopping again.
            Steve Kiesel
            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

bench test

Take set of jumper cables,used to start a car with a dead battery. Attach the positive clamp to the positive post on the battery,negative clamp to negative terminal on the battery. Locate the positive terminal on the starter,this is the one that with have plastic sleeve to prevent grounding.Now attach the other positive jumper cable to that terminal.Either chuck the starter in a vise or use your foot to hold the started down. Now touch the negative cable to the starter housing. If it spins like crazy and the drive slams forward you have other issues up stream. I so hate to see people throw money at something and not be the problem. If the starter is toast,have yours rebuilt and save some posible grief. I'll scan a diagram and show you how easy it is to do. Is the battery a deep cycle? I had one that was fully charged but would not start the engine. Swapped my car battery in it's place and Vaaaaarrrrrrrrrrooooooom
              1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Always hook up the positive 1st then the negative.

Comment

I was,am a certified ASE Master Tech. Almost 30 years.

Comment

could this starter be self grounding, only one stud.. I tried putting the neg on the main housing and the positive on the post (stud).. nothing. but I know it does spin while in the boat.. so I need to go back and try it again (and the built in bracket makes it easy to stand on for a quick check

Comment

Sounds like the starter is toast. Find a electrical repair shop,have them verify and rebuild your starter. Sorry to leave you hanging ,I have a nasty flu bug and crapped out.

Comment

Originally posted by Boones, post: 2664
                        could this starter be self grounding, only one stud.. I tried putting the neg on the main housing and the positive on the post (stud).. nothing. but I know it does spin while in the boat.. so I need to go back and try it again (and the built in bracket makes it easy to stand on for a quick check
                        Yes, it is self grounding.The mounting bracket is where you should clamp the negative to, must be an unpainted surface to get good connection. If still no spin give it a few gentle taps with a hammer as the brushes maybe stuck

Comment

dropped the starer off at Romains here in Kent. found them while at the Portland Swap meet last month. They deal with all types of rebuilds including some hard to find or rare (guy was telling me about a 33 Rolls Royce starter they just did for a customer..)

might have it done by friday but worse case Monday..

Comment

Working...
                          X