South Sound July 28-29

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Sound July 28-29

Once again it's almost time for our annual exploration of South Puget Sound, coming up in only two weeks.

Here's a description from the NWCBC Calendar of Events:

July 28th – 29th – South Sound exploration
    In past years we've organized the Puget Sound, End to End event that included a quick run through South Sound, but this season we'll focus exclusively on the southern reaches of Puget Sound, giving members more time for a leisurely exploration of these fabulous cruising waters. The event will be organized so that members can enjoy a one-day experience, or extend it into a full weekend by over-nighting at Jarrell's Cove Marine State Park on Hartstene Island. We'll launch Saturday morning at Fair Harbor Marina (Grapeview), but other members can join in the fun by launching elsewhere--Day Island Marina, Boston Harbor (north of Olympia), Allyn or other ramps in the general area. The plan will be to rendezvous at Jarrell's Cove by noon., then cruise south through Pickering Passage along the west side of Hartstene Island, running into scenic Hammersly Inlet to Oakland Bay (Shelton), then exploring nearby Totten Inlet, Little Skookum Inlet and perhaps also Eld Inlet before returning to Jarrell's Cove Marine State Park via Peale Passage and Pickering Passage. Those who choose to overnight aboard their boats, or ashore in campsites at Jarrell's Cove, will share a leisurely picnic lunch on Sunday at McMicken Island Marine State Park (Case Inlet) before heading home Sunday afternoon. Coordinator: Marty Loken. NWCBC Members only, please.

I'll personally be launching Saturday morning at Fair Harbor Marina, Grapeview, and might set a crab pot or two on the way to Jarrell's Cove--to retrieve late Saturday afternoon--so we might have fresh Dungeness for the Saturday evening potluck, just up from the beach at Jarrell's Cove Marine State Park. My plan is to run a '57 Glasspar 16' Avalon and tent-camp ashore...although I might figure out a way to sleep aboard the runabout.

Nothing but sun in the forecast for July 28-29, so we hope to see other members enjoying the calm and protected waters of South Sound.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, Will be there maybe for only Saturday with two out of three of my son's Dan & Ryan. Here's some more great pictures of past South Sound events. I think we will go out of Point Defiance this time, Best,Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

South Sound

Chuck -

If you and I are about the only participants, and/or if others also prefer to make this a one-day event, I'll probably do that, too...and be home by Saturday night. (These old bones can still survive overnighting in a tent, but it's not the same as when I was 20-something!)

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, I would like to do it on a overnighter but one of the bunks need to be raised up...hint,hint. But for this time ( as two would have to sleep on the cockpit floor and myself in the cabin ) i think it will be just for the day. Bones what old bones ! Best,Chuck

Comment

Allan and Sue too

Marty, Chuck...Sue and I plan on making the trip, launching from Swantown Marina Olympia. Ours will be a day trip. I will confirm as we get close to the date. Allan
          1958 Dorsett Farallon
          1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

Allan, That sounds like a lot more fun than i can say about todays "little" trip up north with water and winds conditions beyond our control. Chuck

Comment

With regrets...

I really enjoy this cruise, but family events will have me on San
              Juan island that weekend--probably without my Skagit... Have a great time--I'll be thinking about you!
              Ken

Comment

South Sound

Sorry you can't make it this year, Ken...

Looks like South Sound will definitely be a Saturday-only event for me, too, since I just found out I've got a family commitment for Sunday the 29th.

Not a problem--we'll still have a nice run and beach picnic somewhere on Saturday the 28th.

Chuck, Allan and Sue: Any thoughts on where you'd like to meet, or go, if we're turning this into a one-day event? We no longer have to rendezvous at Jarrell's Cove if you have other preferences...

- Marty

Comment

Marty, What about meeting at Eagle Island ? That's a nice place to have a picnic and cruise from there?....Or whatever ? Best,Chuck

Comment

Eagle Island

Chuck -

That was my exact thought, Mr. Mind Reader.

(Hey, Allan and Sue, would that work for you--a rendezvous on the nice beach at Eagle Island Marine State Park?)

I'd still launch at Fair Harbor Marina in Grapeview, and hope to reach Eagle Island by Noon. Maybe after a picnic lunch on the beach, we could make a side-trip run around Anderson Island...or some other place.

- Marty

Comment

Marty, When it comes to some nice small Islands South Sound has them. Chuck

Comment

Willing

We are on board for a greater adventure. Sue has some concern getting in and out of the boat if we beach. Remembering Blake Island and making it back on board as the boat was pulled up on the shore. Sue had surgery in March and has regained about 75% use of her left arm so swinging aboard would be a challenge. A dock would be best, or gangway of sorts when it came to picnic time.

Allan
                        1958 Dorsett Farallon
                        1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

South Sound

Allan and Sue (and Chuck) - Sounds like we'd better plan on docks, at least for the meeting point.

How about if we rendezvous at Joemma Beach State Park, which has a pier with float, launch ramp and onshore facilities. It's not that far from Eagle Island or Jarrell's Cove...and we can decide where to go after meeting up there?

(As for me, I might just launch at Joemma...especially if I end up taking a smaller and slower boat. Tried to start the outboard on the Glasspar Avalon for the first time today, and it wouldn't run well--barely ran at all. The engine's been sitting idle for a few years and I fear the carbs might need rebuilding, and/or the fuel pump is failing. Or all of the above. I'll keep poking at it, but I may end up taking a small sailboat with kicker motor, or our 1925 cedar skiff with small outboard...which would limit my ability to zip all around South Sound.)

Stay tuned...

- Marty

Comment

south sound event

marty,

so which is it, Jarels Cove or Eagle island? I'll launch at Latimers Landing on the west end of the Hartstene island bridge.

Richard

woodenboatfogey

Comment

South Sound

Richard -

We'll rendezvous at Joemma Beach State Park (they have a pier, float and launch ramp) by noon on Saturday, and see where we go from there.

I'm launching at Joemma myself, or possibly riding with Chuck.

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                              X