57 Johnson Mechanic Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Johnson Mechanic Recommendations?

Hi Forum. I just got back from the river and I'm about ready to dump my old Johnson overboard! It's a 1957 Johnson 35hp electric start outboard that I would like to have someone who's experienced with these motors tune up for me. The compression is OK (105/110 psi), but it's running rough. I've changed the impeller, coils, plugs, points, etc, but think the carb needs adjustment or rebuilding. Can anyone recommend someone? Portland area is preferable, but I'll travel if there's someone really skilled with these engines. Also, any idea how much it might cost? Thanks in advance!

57 Johnson 35

Not to enter the land of self-promotion but I have a listing in the classifieds for a fully restored 1957 Johson Sea Horse 35 Electric Start. Serviced by Norm in Seattle who seems to be revered by engine folks. Engine is here in Portland if you want to take a look. It is also listed with pictures on Portland CL. Bruce 503-978-9233
    Attached Files
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

OMC Outboard Mechanic...

Bruce is referring to Norm Boddy of Edmonds, WA, who does a lot of old OMC engines, but (just fyi for everyone reading) never motors over 50 hp because of their weight and the fact that he has to personally hand-truck them all over his outboard-jammed driveway.

He knows the '57 Johnson 35 inside and out, and he can absolutely fix the problem, but if there's any kind of serious problem--or more likely a series of smaller issues that need to be dealt with--you could easily end up spending more than what Bruce is asking for his very clean '57 Johnson 35.

Norm has reasonable rates, but a recent example was his repair of a 1954 Johnson 25hp, which cost $500 (and I think he was being generous in terms of the hours spent on the project).

If you get in touch with Norm, he won't be able to tell you much over the phone--he's got to look at the motor and test it in order to give you any meaningful information on what it needs. Look in this website's Resources Guide (off of the Home Page) to find his contact information.

Good luck,

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
      X