New Member Introduction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Introduction

Hello, my name is Mark, I am in Port Ludlow, WA and I am very glad to be a part of this site.

You know how you are looking for that one boat, the lines, the style, the personality that just makes you stop and say, "There it is"! Well I found it in a 1955 20' Skagit express cruiser. She needs a lot of work, but it will be my boat with my personality.

This is my first restoration, and I have a lot of questions for the experienced people on this site. I was very glad to find this site, and appreciate the postings I have already read.

I will post the beginning photos when I get the boat home, and from there, Have the boat inspected at a boat yard; condition of fiberglass etc.

Very nice to meet all of you and if any of you have any suggestions on how to get started so I can avoid mistakes right off the bat feel free.

Sincerrely, Mark

Welcome Mark

Glad you found us. We will help where we can . We have a bunch of Boat nuts here and have a bunch of knowledge. Post a bunch of pictures when you get your boat . We have alot of Skagits in the group and a bunch of history we can share. As far as Skagits go - you found the right spot ! For a first timer - best info I can give is check the transom -if that is rotted than that is a big challenge for a rookie . They are real easy to rip apart but it's that putting back together that get's complicated ! CutUp1:boater1:
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Mark, If you have a lot of questions, give me a call and i might be able to help you. Chuck 425-742-4319 or Home 425-743-0820
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks guys, and thank you for the phone contact. The transom is fine, the owner said I could hit it with a sledge hammer, ( I know what he means) he says its fine but I'll know more when I see it. If there is anything I should look for in particular I would appreciate it. Chuck I'll give you a call. I am also keenly interested in a posting that talked about "Flotation Foam", is that something that is possible for this boat?

Thanks again. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by dobrodan1961, post: 23274
          I am also keenly interested in a posting that talked about "Flotation Foam", is that something that is possible for this boat?

Thanks again. Mark
          Welcome aboard Mark.

I would say all or nearly all of us restoring an old boat add floation foam. Or replace if it had originally. It's a two-part mix, works amazingly fast. Plenty of people here can give you good advice when you're at that point.

Ed

Comment

Hi Mark.

Well, this couldn't be Martys 55 that he had at Island Boat Shop there in Nordland as his was already foamed.

So, were did you find this and we need pictures.

Yes on the restore of that. Many of them have been done not to far from you.

Anyway, Welcome
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Hi Helmar,

I found this boat in Renton. It's red and white. The owner has not mentioned the foam. I'll be seeing it to make the final decision. The owner has described it and I have seen pics, But nothing equals a personal inspection before taking on a project like this. No matter what, its going to be a lot of work, but unfortunately there are boats out there that it would be too costly to get back in the water, at least for me anyway. So I have to choose carefully. I love this model and particular year boat. Hopefully this is in good enough condition. I'll send lots of pics trust me to get the opinions of the people in the forum.
              Sincerely, Mark

Comment

At least the Skagits all came with Fiberglass Stringers.
                No worries about them.
                Transoms are way easy to install on those too.
                I have done a fair amount of those myself.
                So has Marty at Island Boat shop.
                We were good at doing the really nasty work for folks and letting them do the finish work to save a chunk of change.

Get those pictures :TakePicture1: :TakePicture1:
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

This boat does not have a title I am told, how do I deal with this and what do I have to go through to get one guys?

Comment

Obtaining a Washington Boat Title

Originally posted by dobrodan1961, post: 23336
                    This boat does not have a title I am told, how do I deal with this and what do I have to go through to get one guys?
                    Check out this post.
                    I did a search for Washington Title and found this older post.

Let me know if this works for you.
                    http://www.classicboatclub.com/forum...shington+title

I also put Washington Boat Title in the "Title" of this message for searching our system. Works better this way
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                    X