New to restoring 1958 fleetform

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to restoring 1958 fleetform

So I will try and give the short story here and look forward to talking with everyone!

I am from Forest Lake MN, My family and I have been boating for only about 10 years. We have had 2 boats during the time. (24 foot Chap cuddy and a 21 foot Tahoe to start our boating)

Couple years ago, though my family LOVED boating, we needed to get rid of a payment so of course the boat went.

I came across a 14 foot Fleetform in good shape with trailer for a good deal and picked it up. The boat had all the hardware on it, The glass needs to be sanded, primed and painted but for the most part she is in good shape.

Tonight I finished pulling the hardware off along with the windshield and started digging into the floor the last owner had put down. I figured if I was going to restore her I needed to see under the new floor.

What I found was the stringers are rotted. This is my first boat restore and want to do this project right. I was comfortable sanding, priming, sanding and painting but I am a little lost on how to replace these.

Anyone have some tips on the steps I need to take to replace these right?

Whats the easiest and safest way to get the original out?

What is the best wood to replace them with?

Do I wrap them in glass or use some sort of glue on the bottom and glass over the top of them?

(She also came with a 1959 West bend 40 hp golden shark and original tank. I am putting a 1959 mercury on her but unsure if the old motor has any value..Thoughts?)

Thanks ahead!

Sean
    Attached Files

Welcome to the Forum!!

Nice looking boat, shame the previous owner replaced the floor but didn't bother looking into the stringers...

You can do a forum search for stringer replacement and there are several threads with great photo documentation that are very helpful (we've had several members in this perdicament so there are a lot of examples of different methods you can choose from)...

Good luck and enjoy the project!!!
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Working...
    X