Saying Hi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying Hi

Howdy thought I'd say hello. Great forum with tons of inspiring info in here. I have been interested in classic boats for awhile as my father in law kinda collects some, though he is not into restoration. I have done some minor glass work and repair myself though never to the scale of a full restoration. I am generally able to follow directions well, and like to do things myself so I have been doing a bit of research on my next boat and it has led me here. I am liking the Skagit 20 either an offshore or express, seems like a neat history and a solid hull. I need something that can handle 4 comfortably, and was hoping to avoid anything that will need full stringer replacement. I don't mind doind the transom and floor.

I also would really love to get my hands on a P-14 in good condition needing just new paint, minor glass work..

Years ago I started on one of my father in law had but it was so badly blistered I decided not to really continue. It had the coolest front end insignia etc... He still has it and windshield etc... And I have thought of using it for parts if I could find another hull without blisters. Such a cool little boat. Any tips on finding either would be great. I'm just east of Lake washington and also boat Hood canal alot.

Sark

Welcome aboard.
    I think you will find plenty of advice here for sure.
    The Skagits all have fiberglass stringers so no worries on that.

P-14's, well, they tend to be all over the place still so they will show up for you when you least expect it.

Not sure who has a 20 Skagit for sale right now but I know they are out there and some of us are hording them.

Here's mine.
    Attached Files
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Welcome to the group. Like Helmar said, I haven't seen any 20ft Skagits lately. I see the P-14's all the time down here in Oregon. Keep watching Craigslist. The sellers do not always list them as a P-14, so you have to dig a little harder. Maybe do a search on 14 for the length. Good luck in your search, let us know what you find.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Skagit 17 foot Express

So, who has a 20 foot Skagit they are willing to let go of ?

I have a 17 foot express that needs everything, had a I/O OMC in it. Was a real hot rod. It needs everything like most (wood, glass and paint)
        Its setting on trailer with a title.

I just seen a nice little P-14 but I think they were calling it something else.
        Never the less, it Was a P-14 hull and had a nice looking windshield which is a plus as its a narrower hull than most.
        Very sea worthy as Marty Loken took the one he had around Banbridge Island on one of our events.

So, anyone else see a P-14, lets hear it VeryBigSmile
        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Thanks for the response guys! I still have access to the old P-14 and I think the windshield is in good shape. I'll start searching a little harder for a hull. I've thought about taking the one with blisters all the way down to glass and just repainting as it is a really cool hull, and I'm guessing one of the older ones, but after bad blistering isn't the hulls glass and resin itself comprimised? Plus the floor had water in it so stringers, everything is probably shot down below.

My main project doesn't absolutely have to be a skagit, I would probably pick up a bell boy or possibly a dorsett if I found one in condition and size I like. The Dorsetts all have wood stringers though right?

Comment

A little more background on the P-14. When I was in my early twenties and broke I decided to try and restore one of my father in laws old boats. I started stripping gear off etc, and then heard water inside sloshing around under the floor, pulled the speedo off the transom and h20 just leaked out forever. Then I noticed the blisters on the hull... So I gave up.

The hull is still there, I have been through probably 6 boats since then and each one has been more of a project, until on my last boat( 16 foot 1987 cdory) I recored the deck in rotten spots, repaired the transom's numerous holes and regelcoated the transom and floor of the cockpit. So my skills, and available funds have improved and I have this itch to finish something I started long ago.

Now I'm still worried about the blisters on the old hull, but could I just strip all the gelcoat off, put and epoxy barrier coat and then paint, if it would remain structrually sound. All the wood in the boat doesnt worry me, but I'd hate to have the paint goe to pot after all that work.

Also- I 'm local to lake washington, and actually live on the Samammish slough, my wife's family has been down here forever, we're 3rd generation in this small area. Anyway thought I'd throw out the offer, since I'm sure one of you local guys has a great stash. I'd trade moorage on the river plus some $, for the right project boat for my big project. I wan't to start with something really good to begin with, looking for something classic in the 17 to 19 foot range with a cuddy. Bellboy, or Dorsett seems like they are probably a bit easier to come by. I'm Searching now for just the right one, and plan on doing my p-14 as a warm up, and to make sure I have something to use during summer in Tahuya. Just about to sell my Current west wight potter sailboat that I brought back in to shape. So will be boatless soon.

Comment

Well, the word is out so its just a matter of time before someone comes forward with something.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I might be willing to sell my 20ft Skagit offshore. Check messages. Clint

Comment

- After some measuring and evaluating, I've decided to really put my focus on a good 17 foot boat. I have a 19 foot west wight potter that I can just barely get in my driveway and under my carport, and had a 16 foot cdory before that. After moving the 19 footer around recently in prep for selling, I came to the conclusion any 19-20 foot boat with a large outboard just wont make the corner into my driveway and probably wont fit under my carport with the windshield on top of the cabin. And that is where it must go, So... I am narrowing my search down to something about 17 feet with a hardtop or small cabin. Like the Seafair Phaetons, and the 17 skagits. Been pretty busy working on an engine and my 14 in between youth sports, but still on the lookout.

Comment

Dorsett Catalina

I know where you may find a 17' Dorsett Catalina - Guy who bought my old one asked me if I knew anybody looking ? He has had it for 3 years and don't think he ever used it ?? I'll ask how much he wants if interested ? These are pictures of when I sold it - don't know what it looks like now .
                    Attached Files
                    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Hmm, Yeah let me know, I like the looks of the Dorsetts and have seen yours in pics previously, looked really nice. I passed up on a 17 skagit cause I was thinking I was gonna go 20 footer. Oh well the right boat will show up sooner or later.

Comment

18ft Uniflite

Here's a decent looking 1966 Uniflite.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/boa/3574318646.html
                        Steve Kiesel

Comment

Rule # 1 for me is no inboard outboards, I like the simplicity of unbolting and swapping out outboards, and they just are my preference. I saw that though and it looks like a nice hull. No conversions for me either.

Anyone comment on the later glasspar Delmar Hulls like the 61-62. I like the ones with the open helms/console so you can see through, but I thought I read they didn't ride great.

I am also thinking about possibly doing a trade for this 17 foot larson on craiglsist. Any comments on these? Not a fan of the way the two tone looks on the cabin top, but other than that interesting design.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/3523744273.html

Comment

Sark, here's another Uniflite that showed up. 1963, 16ft.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/3578673772.html
                            Steve Kiesel

Comment

Nice! With the great enablers around here it shouldn't take long to find a boat!

Sweet Boat, less wood which I like as glass is easier to maintain and remove fish scales from. Great style and color, little unsure about the length though. I really like the length on the Larsen I linked above. I keep thinking 17-18 feet is ideal as it's about as big as I can get into my crazy hooked driveway with a big outboard sticking out. The Larsen Guy hasn't emailed me back in a day or so, not sure if maybe he sold or got cold feet but I was kinda liking that boat. I might call on this one, definitly looks in good condition. Man if only a foot or so longer!

Comment

Working...
                              X