Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Introduction

Howdy Everyone!

I'm Bruce and my son is Toby. Last year (on Opening Day of Boating coincidentally) we bought this 1970 Elgin 14 foot Runabout on CraigsList. It wasn't in the best of shape then, but after some hard work, it's now pretty much operational.

I know that 1970 may be a little too recent to consider it a "Classic" boat, as it is only 43 years old. It does have 2 lever controls and no electric start however

Toby and I took our boat out 14 times last year. One memorable trip was up the Snohomish River from the Everett Marina boat launch past the town of Snohomish until it got too shallow, then back again. On our way back we ran out of gas and the motor stopped. But we discovered that by tilting the tank we could use the last bit of gas and were able to make it back fine.

We like to go boating a lot and have already been out twice this year despite the cooler weather. Toby and I are always looking for others to go boating with, as his older sister doesn't care for boating, so she stays home with Mom. We usually launch around Seattle.

Anyway, we just PayPal'd our dues to join the club so I figured it was time for an introduction. Thanks for having us and here's a couple of quick pictures so you can see what our boat looks like.

All the Best!

Bruce (and Toby)
    Attached Files
    1962 Elgin 14 foot Runabout

Welcome aboard!!!

Around here we don't put an age limit on what is "classic" we more about making friends and using our old boats. If the owner (you) thinks there is something about your boat that makes it a classic than we believe you.

Hope to see you on the water!!
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Congratulations on the boat and working on it with your son. My son (now 12) started helping me with boats at 6 and still enjoys the "adventures" I drag him into.

If you feel you need a more "classic" boat, I have a 1958 Elgin 14' that I would let go for a song to someone who would love it and take care of it!
      BRIAN FRANCHINI
      LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by FINS, post: 24581
        ... I have a 1958 Elgin 14' ...
        Any chance we could see pictures of that '58 Elgin boat?

Comment

I don't have any on this computer but will get some posted for you.
          BRIAN FRANCHINI
          LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

1958 Elgin Boat

Is it like this one? (Picture from 1958 Sears catalog.) Looks pretty cool to me. I'd like to see that one on the water!
            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the group.
              Nice looking boat for sure...
              Enjoy
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
              X